Prayers for the Souls in Purgatory in Numbers

I came across the prayer of St. Gertrude, “Eternal Father, I offer Thee the Most Precious Blood of Thy Divine Son, Jesus, in union with the masses said throughout the world today, for all the holy souls in Purgatory, for sinners everywhere, for sinners in the universal church, those in my own home and within my family. Amen.” It is said that Jesus told her 1,000 souls will be released from purgatory every time it is prayed.

Are there more prayers given to Saints that have a specific number attached to them regarding the release of souls in purgatory?

“LaPetiteFleur” I’m going to bump this, because it was nearly at the bottom.

As far as I know, though… the Prayer to St. Gertrude is the only one which states a specific amount of souls released from Purgatory. Of course, if you say the prayer more than once (be it 3, 5, 10 times)… that many souls… X 1,000… will be released. :thumbsup:

I hope someone else who knows may reply. God bless you.

Thank you,MarieVeronica!

Bumpity bump! :harp:

Maybe some more learned members could clear this up for me, cause I’m confused about this prayer, but I like the idea of helping to release souls from purgatory. If purgatory is the place or state of being purged of all our attachment to sin, each one of us who (hopefully) makes it to purgatory will have a certain amount to be purged of. When you’re good and purged, you are admitted to God’s presence. So does our saying this prayer just speed up the purging process for the chosen thousand? How can we pray to get somebody out of purgatory if each person there has a certain “sentence” to serve, so to speak?

yes, I think it just speeds up the process :slight_smile: perhaps the souls are given more grace.

I have a question though…is this prayer approved by the Church?? :confused:

When a number of souls is mentioned, it comes from private revelation. The number 1,000 is supposed to mean “a large number”, so isn’t it just fine to trust the Lord on that?

i have given some thought to this. It’s a good point. We willingly adhere to the things God sets before us that are pleasing to us; why shouldn’t we accept the things God sets before us that are unpleasant to us? Whatever God sentences us to in Purgatory, we should lovingly embrace this sentence since this comes from God and He knows what is best for us.

The best answer i can come up with is the Purgatorial sentence is God’s Justice. But given some outside prayer from others still on the earth, God’s Mercy may be moved to pity and overpowers a portion of the Justice by allowing those prayers on earth to be utilized toward the repose of the soul. Prayers from one soul can be applied to the benefit of another because we are all one body.

You MUST believe in the power of prayer, but at the same time you must exercise humility by humbly submitting your prayers to God.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.