Prayers for the USPS

The USPS (United States Postal Service) currently employs over 650,000 workers. The past decade, since the popularity of e-communications has exploded and “snail mail” volume has decreased, it has been in financial crisis. There has been a hiring freeze in affect for the past year or so, and recently Postmaster General Potter has asked Congress to cut delivery to 5 days a week. This is a very unwise move, since the volume of mail wouldn’t decrease very much, and the USPS would be doing the work of 6 days in 5. With the very real possibility of the hiring freeze not being lifted, it would place a great burden on the existing postal workers.

In addition, in a couple of weeks, the rural carriers are doing route evaluations (called mail count), which is a extremely stressful time (I’ve lived through this with my parents, who are both rural carriers, for over 15 years), as this will determine their pay for the next year. There is great possibility for many pay cuts this year.

O God, who from among all your angels chose the Archangel Gabriel to announce the mystery of the Incarnation, you have given to those who assist your people to communicate with other members of the Body of Christ, especially postal workers. Calm their and their family members’ anxiety and uncertainty about the future of the USPS. Allow them to rely on you, Heavenly Father, no matter the circumstances. Mercifully grant that we who solemnly remember him on earth may feel the benefit of his patronage in heaven, who lives for ever and ever. Amen.

Praying for your family Ericka. These are such scary times for all. Will pray for their financial and personal security.

Not sure if Archangel Gabriel is the Patron of Postal Workers
(is he?), but great Saint to have on your side.

Pray for us St Gabriel and St Joseph in our daily work…

I am praying with you.

He is… I have dictionary of the Saints that’s over 650 pages, and I just double-checked. His patronages also include others who work as “communication engineers” :wink: such as telephone operators, and I would guess (to allow for modernization) the admins here at CAF who allow us to communicate with each other in this fora.

It’s not just my nuclear family I’m worried about… it’s my whole postal family. I have been “raised” by postal workers (I guess that explains many things… :wink: :smiley: :rolleyes:), and some I have known for a very long time (15+ years). I feel as if they are my family… even postal workers I haven’t met before. From the janitor who cleans the one route post office in the middle of nowhere to even PMG Potter (although I’m NOT happy with him right now).

Thanks for the info about St Gabriel Ericka, makes sense…

Will keep all postal workers in prayer…Take Care…

Praying for your intention ericka.
Our Father, who art in Heaven,
hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come,
thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
and forgive us our trespasses
as we forgive those who trespass against us,
and lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
Amen

*Hail Mary full of grace the Lord is with thee. *
*Blessed art thou amongst women *
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus
*Holy Mary, Mother of God *
*pray for us sinners now *
*and at the hour of our death. *
Amen.

August Queen of the Heavens, heavenly sovereign of the Angels, Thou who from the beginning received from God the power and the mission to crush the head of Satan, we humbly beseech Thee to send Your holy Legions, so that under Thy command and through Thy power, they may pursue the demons and combat them everywhere, suppress their boldness, and drive them back into the abyss. Who is like God? O good and tender Mother, Thou will always be our love and hope! O Divine Mother, send Thy Holy Angels to defend me and to drive far away from me the cruel enemy. Holy Angels and Archangels, defend us, guard us. Amen.

All USPS workers are in my prayers.

I admit I was a bit taken aback the first time I looked up the patron Saint for postal workers. But then I remembered he was the one who came to the Blessed Virgin Mary to anounce that she was with child through the Holy Spirit, and it made perfect sense.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.