Prayers in Latin

I’ve been meaning to ask this for a while. Does anyone know of a good website where I can learn the prayers of the rosary in Latin? Preferabbly with sound? I eventually want to learn more, but I thought starting with the rosary would be best because it covers the most important Catholic prayers. I can’t really afford a tape or book right now (poor college student) so I was hoping for a website. Thanks very much!

preces-latinae.org/thesaurus/BVM/Rosarium.html

Prayers of the Rosary in Latin

That link doesnt have sound, but if you need help with pronounciation, just ask- Latin pronounciation is really quite simple, as it doesnt have so many rules as english has and every letter is always pronounced.

How did I know this would get a quick response? :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, the pronunciation is what I’m really worried about. It probably wouldn’t be as hard as I think; I’ve studied Italian (very, very little) and I’ve heard they’re similar. The problem lies in the fact that I’ve also studied (a few years of) French, and (even less than Italian) some German. When I try to speak a foriegn language I’m unfamiliar with, it can get interesting!

So if every letter is pronounced, that means the endings too (unlike French). Is ‘ce’ and ‘ci’ pronounced 'ch’ like in Italian?

I assume German has little to do with Latin? Though I’ve been told I pronounce Aloysius the way Germans do. :rolleyes:

Ecclesiastical Latin is pronounced very much as Italian is. Classical Latin on the other hand is rough in comparission.

Here is how Ecclesiastical Latin is pronounced:

Vowels

a - “ah” as in father
e - “ay” as in late
i - “ee” as in keen
o - “oh” as in hope
u - “ooh” as in rude

Dipthongs

ae - “ay” as in late
au - “ow” as in now
ei - “ey” as in they
eu - "eu"as in neutral
oe - “ay” as in late
ui - “uey” as in gluey

Consonants

b - English b
c - before ei, i, ae, or oe, “ch” as in cherry; but before other letters, hard “c” as in can (k)
d - English d
f - English f
g - before e or i, soft “g” as in gentle; but before other letters, hard “g” as in go
h - English h
j - “y” as in yes (German ja)
k - Englih k
l - English l
m - English m
n - English n
p - English p
q - English q
r - trilled “r” as in the Romance languages
s - “s” as in sing
t - English t (although sometimes silent)
v - English v (in Classical Latin v is pronounced as w)
w - English w
x - “x” as in six (ks)
z - “dz”

So, as an example,

In nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti

would be pronounced as,

een noh-meen-ay pah-treece ay fee-lee ay spee-reet-oos sahnkt-ee

See, the French learning wants to come out, because I automatically pronounce it “in nah-mini Pat-ree, ay Feel-ee, ay Spirita Sankti”

I’ll work on it though. I don’t take French anymore so those habits should fade. Thanks Caesar, and dulcissima!

Rawb,

Check out the Vatican’s Radio 105 website:

oecumene.radiovaticana.org/en1/chapel.asp

If you scroll down almost to the bottom of the page you will find links to sound files for each set of mysteries in Latin. The start of it is slightly different that what I’m used to, but it’s great for learning the pronunciations for the Pater Noster, Ave Maria, and Gloria.

Jen

go to rickmk.com then tab down to rosary in latin.you can click on the megaphone and listen to the prayers in latin both slowly and at normal speech speed and you can hear the proper pronunciations of the words.:tiphat:

This may be in the category of “Things that are of interest only to me,” but this performance of Fauré’s Requiem has a Gallicised pronunciation of the Latin.

It’s an interesting listen…

Pax vobiscum,
Alberich

Wow, thanks everyone. I still haven’t done my rosary today so I’ll try these out. I’m sure the blessed mother won’t mind my butchered attempts, will she?

BTW, just because I think you’ll all get the humor; one of my friends (Lutheran) sort of rolled her eyes when I talked about this and said “I’m going to make you a shirt that says “Mama’s Boy” with a picture of Mary on it”. :smiley:

I’m glad to see a healthy interest in Latin. It is necessary though, to have a basic grounding in Latin, too, so you know the meaning of the prayers without having to look up the English translation each time.

They have some excellent Latin trainers in PDF format at textkit.com. Unfortunately, the pronunciations there are more classical Latin. Italian has changed modern Latin quite a bit. Of course, there’re the classicists that call it a dead language and continue to use classical pronunciation.

Stick with modern Italian pronunciation, it can be as simple as that.

Haha, I’d like one of those :wink:

That’s a great idea… There would be a market for that. She should put her brilliant mind to work for similar T-shirt for women!:thumbsup:

I’ll second that!

I know that this is rude, off topic and probably a host of other objectionable things, but why do you want to pray the rosary in Latin? Do you imagine that God and the saints will hear you better or understand you better in Latin than in English?
Remember the first thing the Catechism taught about prayer: Prayer is the lifting up of our minds and hearts to God. This is best done in your own native tongue, whatever that may be.

Matthew

Great thread! I want to do the same. Thanks! :thumbsup:

I’m not the OP, but he says he “eventually want[s] to learn more” and appears to just be starting with the Rosary (A [post=2538601]fine desire[/post], if [post=2538619]I do say so myself[/post]).

Lifting one’s mind and heart to God can be done in any language one desires (and presumably understands), or even without the use of language at all.

:twocents:
tee

I don’t think it’s a matter of thinking that God or the saints will hear one’s prayers better if one says them in Latin.

If one has learned or is learning a foreign language, it is a good way to practice that language by praying in it. But more importantly one in effect has to learn the prayers all over again in the foreign language, which makes one think about what one is saying.

Do we not get so used to saying prayers in our native language that very often we mechanically spit them out at lightning speed, a prayer passing our lips without our hardly feeling it has passed our lips, much less penetrated through our hearts to the holy beings we are supposed to be addressing?

This may sound odd, but another reason I like praying the Rosary in foreign languages is that I dedicate my saying the prayer in the language of a particular country or region to the welfare or conversion of that place. When I pray the rosary in French, for instance, I offer up the rosary in the place of a rosary that is not being said in a land where Catholic observance is currently in decline such as France or Quebec (this would be along the lines of saying a rosary in reparation for insults done to Christ or Mary).

This may sound even odder, but when Pope John Paul died I learned to say the rosary in Polish - in solidarity with him and with the Polish people and with the intention of praying for the strength of the faith being preserved there in the face of post-communist secularization (this was not so much of a feat as it sounds – I minored in Russian in college and learned a bit about the other Slavic languages as well).

Actually, I went even further that this. I started praying Edward Sri’s scriptural rosary in English (reciting relevant verses between the Hail Mary’s), which was a great way to immerse myself in the Gospels. I then started extracting the verses from on-line Bibles in languages I already knew the rosary prayers in, essentially translating Sri’s scriptural rosary. That allowed me to immerse myself in the languages and in the Gospels and helped me pray with greater involvement and concentration – even when I would pray in English.

If that be the case than you had best learn Italian as the Italians and in particular the Romans are some of the most ardent anticlericalists in the Christian world. I am of the opinion that Ben XVI should be spending his days and nights straightening out the problems in his own (arch)diocese before considering anything anywhere else in the world. He is after all as bishop of Rome the chief teacher of the faith in his own (arch)diocese.

Matthew

Rawb,

Here’s a thread that I started when I was trying to learn the rosary in Latin. It contains some helpful pronunciation tips.

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=100931

God Bless,
Gary

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.