Prayers needed for Church in Zimbabwe - Africa

AFRICA/ZIMBABWE - Catholics pray and fast for national peace

Harare (Agenzia Fides)- “We are here to pray for peace and to denounce oppression” said the Catholic Archbishop of Bulawayo Pius Ncube during one of two prayer meetings organised last week by the Catholic community of Zimbabwe. On Saturday 14 Apri…

Full article…

Pray for the Church in Zimbabwe

Gov’t agents warn priests against distributing pastoral letter
By Daily News Feed
Created Apr 30 2007 - 08:41
By NCR [National Catholic Reporter] CORRESPONDENT
Bulawayo, Zimbabwe
Officers from Zimbabwe’s security agency have warned Catholic priests not to distribute local language versions of a pastoral letter that is highly critical of the deepening political and economic crisis here.

Zimbabwe’s bishops’ conference issued a pastoral letter, “God Hears the Cry of the Oppressed,” just before Easter that said Zimbabwe’s crisis is one of governance, leadership, spirituality and morality.

To avoid “further bloodshed and avert a mass uprising,” a new constitution is needed to guide democracy “chosen in free and fair elections that will offer a chance for economic recovery under genuinely new policies,” the bishops wrote.

The letter is the strongest statement the bishops have issued since the country began an economic meltdown some two years ago. The unemployment rate of 80 percent and an inflation rate of more than 1,700 percent has “made the life of ordinary Zimbabweans unbearable, regardless of their political preferences,” the bishops said.

The letter is seen as critical of the government of Robert Mugabe, who has ruled Zimbabwe since 1980.

The letter was initially issued in English, but the bishops have had it translated into two of the main indigenous languages, making it widely available to Catholics across the country. It is the translations that security officers have been trying to stop.

A priest who spoke to NCR said he was visited last week by plain-clothes security agents who warned against distributing the letter.

Archbishop Pius Ncube of Bulawayo confirmed he has received reports from priests that they had been visited by security agents. He added that this will not deter the church from speaking out on human rights abuses and social injustice.

The country’s harsh security laws prohibit the distribution of “political material,” and in the past, opposition political parties have resorted to disseminating their manifestos clandestinely.

[The writer’s name is being withheld because of the dangers of reporting in Zimbabwe.]

Link: ncrcafe.org/node/1059/print

I will pray for the Church in Zimbabwe (and the people of Zimbabwe, too).

I’m always praying. I was born and brought up in Zimbabwe and my mother-in-law still lives there. The people in Zimbabwe sure do need our prayers.

I’ll be praying. I’ve wanted to go on a mission trip to Africa for a long time. I’ll be there in spirit with them while I’m praying here in TN.

That all may live in your peace,
we pray to the Lord. :gopray:

I am prayerful for all of the African nations where oppression and suffering are the rule and not the exception.

Praying.

KONIGSTEIN, May 04 (CNA) - Bishops and priests have become the targets of security agents in Zimbabwe, reported Aid to the Church in Need (ACN). The international Catholic charity received this news from a priest in Zimbabwe, who asked to remain anonymous.

Full article…

Our Father in Heaven
Holy be Your Name
Your Kingdom come
Your Will be done
On earth as it is in Heaven.

Give us this day our daily bread
And forgive us our sins
As we forgive those who sin against us
Do not bring us to the test
But deliver us from evil.
Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace!
The Lord is with you
Blessed are you among women
And Blessed is the fruit of your womb, Jesus.

Holy Mary, Mother of God
Pray for us sinners
Now and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

Glory be to the Father,
And to the Son,
And to the Holy Spirit.

As it was in the beginning
Is now and ever shall be
World without end.
Amen.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.