Prayers needed & would this keep me from Heaven?

Prayers needed please. My cardiologist thinks I may have a heart condition where the blood is flowing too slowly through the smaller areas of my heart. I have a nuclear imaging test tomorrow.

My question is…I dropped out of RCIA last year because I didn’t feel ready. However, I’m back in RCIA this year and feel that it’s right for me, and am sticking with it.

My concern is that if I were to die before completing RCIA, would I go to Hell, because I dropped out last year? The reason I’m thinking this is because the Catechism says there is no salvation outside the Church.

God knows you better than anyone else ever could. And Easter is only, like, a couple of months away. Unless something really terrible came up, I don’t see you missing that. If you are really worried, talk to your priest. He would be the one to consult with on this. It wouldn’t be unheard of for someone to be brought into the church a bit early due to health considerations.

To say that would have to indicate that all Jews, Muslims, Protestants and anyone else would be destined to hell. That is NOT what the Catholic Church teaches and never did. What that statement means is that there is only one way to heaven and that is through Jesus Christ and the Church that He established. There is no other way BUT if through no fault of their own one does not come to the Church God will judge them according to the invincible ignorance that they possess. In your case you have every intention to come into the Church. If you are already baptized you are already a member of the Body of Christ.

So, relax and rest assured that you are in my prayers. Things will be good. But know that God is infinite mercy and love. Yes, Christ is the only way to the Father (John 14:6) and when we get to heaven it is only through Him. So depending on where everyone is with this Gospel message will determine their eternal judgment. And never forget that God judges with infinite fairness since He knows us better than we know ourselves. I hope this helps. God bless you.

No, you would be considered apart of the Church already by your desire to join her, basically what the Church calls a “baptism by desire” would apply to your situation even though you might not be getting baptized.

From the Catechism of the Catholic Church (paragraph 1259):

For catechumens who die before their Baptism, their explicit desire to receive it, together with repentance for their sins, and charity, assures them the salvation that they were not able to receive through the sacrament.

Please speak to your priest about this. You may be able to have an emergency Baptism. This was done for my sister, at home, when she was facing a dangerous surgery. She had wanted to be Catholic, but never went through any of the classes.

As it turned out she nearly died, but gratefully she did not. Now she has the chance to study more about the Faith, as well as the opportunity to receive the sacraments which she needs so much due to the critical nature of her health. Don’t wait on this. See your priest if you think there is any chance, based on your doctors diagnosis that death could be imminent.

Rest easy, intent is a very big part of the Catholic faith. And you intend to convert. Honestly, if you are concerned about your survival, talk to a priest and maybe you can take care of things outside of your parishes RCIA program. I was confirmed as an adult in a non “RCIA” manner. The “rite” is necessary but the program is just the normative way in many countries confirmation and sometimes baptisms take place. I have known several people who confirmed outside of the RCIA program. If your condition was expressed as serious you may want to explore this option.

One thing you might take comfort in is the Christian musician Rich Mullins was in RCIA when he unexpectedly died. He is known for a famous song called “awesome God” Most Catholics I know take much pride and comfort knowing that he was in the process of RCIA when he died. God does not limit Himself to a checklist. Your intent is sufficient. However, if this is a life and death situation please look at other faster options as being Confirmed might be beneficial in allowing you access to other sacraments and graces you may need in the coming turmoil.

Perhaps another poster could speak more to the legality of your options.

PS
Prayers given.

I should mention I am a Candidate in RCIA. I have been baptized in a Lutheran church. Thanks for the responses everyone!

I was afraid that because I dropped out of RCIA last year, that would be held against me if I pass away before I become Catholic.

You requested prayers, therefore I am starting them.

Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary,
that never was it known
that anyone who fled to thy protection,
implored thy help, or sought thy intercession,
was left unaided.
Inspired by this confidence, I fly unto thee,
O Virgin of virgins, my Mother.
To thee do I come, before thee I stand,
sinful and sorrowful.
O Mother of the Word Incarnate,
despise not my petitions,
but in thy mercy, hear and answer me.

Amen

I just said a prayer for you. God bless you.

My God, I believe in You; strengthen my faith. All my hopes are in You; secure them. I love You; teach me to love you daily more and more. I am sorry that I have offended You; increase my sorrow.

I adore you as the Author of my first beginning. I aspire after you as my last end. I give you thanks as my constant Benefactor, I call upon you as my sovereign Protector.

My God, be pleased to conduct me by your wisdom; to restrain me by the thought of Your justice; to comfort me by Your mercy; to defend me by Your power.

To You I desire to consecrate all my thoughts, words, deeds, and suffering, that henceforth I may think of you, speak of you, refer all my actions to You greater glory, and suffer willingly whatever You shall appoint.

Lord, I desire that in all things Your Will be done, because it is Your Will, and I desire that all things be done in the manner that You will them.

Grant that I may always esteem whatsoever is pleasing to You, despise what You abhor, avoid what You forbid, and do what you command.

I beg You to enlighten my understanding, to inflame my will, to purify my body, and to sanctify my soul.

My God, give me strength to atone for my sins, to overcome my temptations, to subdue my passions, and to acquire the virtues proper to my state of life.

Fill my heart with tender affection for Your goodness, hatred of my faults, love of my neighbor, and contempt of the world. May Your grace help me to be obedient to my superiors, kind and courteous to my inferiors, faithful to my friends, and charitable to my enemies.

Assist me to overcome sensuality by self-sacrifice, avarice by almsdeeds, anger by meekness, and carelessness by devotion. My God, make me prudent in my undertakings, courageous in danger, patient in trials, and humble in success.

Grant that I may be ever attentive at my prayers, temperate at my meals, diligent in my work, and faithful in my good resolutions.

Let my conscience be ever upright and pure, my behavior modest, my conversation kind, and my actions edifying.

Assist me that I may continually strive to overcome the evil inclinations of my nature, to cooperate with Your grace, to keep Your commandments, and to work out my salvation.

My God, make me realize the nothingness of this world, the greatness of heaven, the shortness of time, and the length of eternity.

Grant that I may prepare for death; that I may fear Your judgment; that I may escape hell and in the end obtain heaven. Through Christ our Lord. Amen.

Praying that the Lord may grant you good health. Also praying that He may continue to guide you through RCIA.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen

Amen.

Our Father, Who art in heaven
Hallowed be Thy Name;
Thy kingdom come,
Thy will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
and forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us;
and lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.

Amen.

Praying hard for your good health. I think your intent will be beneficial to you and I wouldn’t worry about it.

Holy Michael the Archangel defend us in the day of battle.
Be our safeguard against the wickedness and snares of the devil.
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray,
and do Thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host,
by the Power of God,
thrust down to hell satan and all the wicked spirits,
who wander through the world for the ruin of souls.
Amen.

Remember, O most loving Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone fled to your protection, implored your help, or sought your intercession and was left forsaken. Inspired by this confidence, I fly unto you, O Virgin of virgins, my Mother. To you I come, before you I stand, a sorrowful sinner. Despise not my words, O Mother of the Word, but in your mercy, hear and answer me.
Amen

What you did last year has no bearing on the matter.

As a current candidate, you could even be given a catholic funeral at this point.

But we’ll pray you don’t need it yet.

Hail Holy Queen

Hail, Holy Queen,
Mother of Mercy,
hail our life, our sweetness and our hope!
To thee do we cry
poor banished children of Eve;
to thee do we send up our sighs,
mourning and weeping
in this vale of tears.
Turn then,
O most gracious advocate,
thine eyes of mercy towards us
and after this our exile
show unto us the blessed fruit of thy womb,
Jesus;
O clement,
O loving,
O sweet Virgin Mary.

Pray for us, O Holy Mother of God.
That we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.

Prayer to Saint Michael the Archangel
St Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle;
be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the Devil.
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray
and do thou, O prince of the heavenly host,
by the power of God,
thrust into Hell Satan
and all the other evil spirits who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls.
Amen.

**The Memorare **
Remember,
O most gracious Virgin Mary,
that never was it known,
that anyone who fled to thy protection,
implored thy help
or sought thy intercession,
was left unaided.
Inspired by this confidence, I fly unto thee,
O Virgin of virgins, my Mother.
To thee I come, before thee I stand,
sinful and sorrowful.
O Mother of the Word Incarnate,
despise not my petition,
but in thy mercy hear and answer me.
Amen.

Luz Maria

Traditional 54-Day Rosary Novena Schedule
Petition:
March 5, 8, 11, 14, 17, 20, 23, 26, 29: The Joyful Mysteries Posts 2 & 3.
March 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, 21, 24, 27, 30: The Sorrowful Mysteries Post # 10
March 7, 10, 13, 16, 19, 22, 25, 28, 31: The Glorious Mysteries Post # 11
The Concluding Prayers for all the Mysteries: - Posts 4 & 9

Thanksgiving:
April 1, 4, 7, 10, 12, 16, 19, 22, 25: The Joyful Mysteries Posts 2 & 3.
April 2, 5, 8, 11, 14, 17, 20, 23, 26: The Sorrowful Mysteries Post # 10
April 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, 21, 24, 27: The Glorious Mysteries Post # 11
The Concluding Prayers for all the Mysteries: - Posts 4 & 9

Lord Jesus You said to us: Unless you become like little children, you will not enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Help us to follow St. Theresa on the road of simplicity, that we come to possess eternal blessings. You who live and reign with the Father and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.