Prayers of the Faithful at a Funeral Mass?

Are there any specific prayers that must be read in the Prayers of the Faithful at a funeral Mass? I did a quick search here, but could not come up with any answers.

[quote="EnglishTeacher, post:1, topic:330341"]
Are there any specific prayers that must be read in the Prayers of the Faithful at a funeral Mass? I did a quick search here, but could not come up with any answers.

[/quote]

Quick answer is yes, can be found in the Order of Christian Funerals. Your parish would have a copy.

Somewhat longer answer is, kind of. These prayers generally fall into a few categories, one of which would certainly include prayers for the one who has died.

Your parish very likely has resources to guide you if you’re writing these prayers. I’d also be in touch with the priest offering the Mass. He might have some that he’s prepared to use that connect to the readings and/or homily.

If you’re writing these for a loved one, I’ll join with so may others on this forum by praying,

Eternal rest, grant unto them, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon them. And may their soul, and the souls of all the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen.

I take great solace in the fact that we Catholics pray for the dead.
www.catholicprayergroup.net

That are not prayers that must be read; they are models and examples. Those specific prayers are not required to be used.

Perhaps they “must” not be read, but are the most appropriate and developed for vigils and funerals. No need to reinvent the wheel in this case.

[quote="FAB, post:6, topic:330341"]
Perhaps they "must" not be read, but are the most appropriate and developed for vigils and funerals. No need to reinvent the wheel in this case.

[/quote]

Agreed, but the OP asked about prayers of the faithful that "must be read" at a funeral Mass.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.