Prayers of the Faithful

Several weeks ago at Sunday Mass the designated response was “Holy Spirit Pray for Us”. The immediate question from quite a few of us was “who is the Holy Spirit praying to?” Some inquired of the Celebrant and he said it was OK. Further inquiry suggests that the Holy Spirit intercedes for us (Romans 8:26-27 and CCC 2634). We don’t pray: Jesus pray for us or Father pray for us. What is the basis for Holy Spirit pray for us? I don’t get the sense of it from Romans or CCC.

Intercession is often interchangeable with prayer. For example, we ask Mary to pray for us, or alternately, to intercede for us.

[size=][FONT=“Palatino Linotype”]Romans 8:26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmity. For we know not what we should pray for as we ought; but the Spirit himself asketh for us with unspeakable groanings. 27 And he that searcheth the hearts, knoweth what the Spirit desireth; because he asketh for the saints according to God. [/size]

What the priest told you is quite scriptural and reassuring. I find that I fall back on this promise of God whenever I feel as if I’m not expressing myself adequately in my prayers. especially when I feel greatly burdened.

Charismatic Catholics and Pentecostals generally interpret this to support their “gift” of praying in tongues, and I suppose that that could be one aspect, but I personally no longer believe that to be the only valid one.[/FONT]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.