Prayers or books to be read to sick or dying who can still hear

Hello. :)

I would like ask for suggestions on what I could pray/ read to a sick or dying old man who happens to be the dad of a good friend of mine.

My friend's family (dad, mom and siblings) are all my dear friends too. I remember her dad as some sort oif "cool"dad as I used to stay over at their house in the province some vacations. It was a great shock to see him in his state.

Their family is very special to me.

I was surprised to hear that he had suffered severe pneumonia and was in ICU for almost a month.

When I saw him, they had put a tube in his throat and stomach and is bedridden. He rarely opens his eyes, although there are indications that he could hear and understand questions directed at him.

I had already suggested that they open the Mass on TV so he can participate as it is the highest form of prayer of our faith. I heard or read somewhere that prayers heard in faith while still alive is much more powerful than all the prayers after death.

I also talked to him (hoping that he could hear and understand what I said) that Mama Mary loves him and that he brings himself into her Immaculate Heart.

I really want to help him to get to heaven when his time comes...when God wills it.

Since his sense of hearing is still working,,,can anyone suggest any reading material or prayer that can be narrated to him by me or his caregivers that can possibly help him get closer to God and prepare him to meet our Lord (even though we still are hoping that that event is still a long way off),,,,

Any suggestions on prayers and reading materials that are helpful for the sick and dying?

:)

It's not particularly vastly holy but the book "little flower" by Mary Fabian Windeatt is a solidily catholic, laugh-out-loud book about faith in God and really loving God.

I think I would go to his home, look on the bookshelf, and read the books he found inspirational when he was choosing his own books. Even if he can only hear a snatch here and there, the whole passage will come back to him. It will not be jarring, and understanding it will not take an undue effort from him.

I'd also read the Psalms, in the form of the Divine Office, the Mass readings for the day, and other things out of Holy Scriptures. You might just read the Gospels, from start to finish, read the epistles straight through. The Bible is the best spiritual reading, and has the advantages mentioned above.

Recite the Rosary aloud, too, if he regularly said the Rosary. If he enjoyed music, then you might sing hymns that he liked, too, or play CDs of chant.

Those are great ideas! Thank you.

I am concerned for my friend's dad because alhough I know him to be a kind man and really "cool"dad of my friend....he did have some beliefs that might affect his going to heaven.

Example...I think he didn't go to confession for a long time ...I don't think he thought of it as important...but received Holy Communion during Sunday mass.

I really,really want to help him get ready to meet God ...without, of course stressing him out further.

I heard / read somewhere too that at the moment of death is when the devil fights hardest for the soul of the dying person ..I want to help him have the best possible fighting chance. I think, even in this state, it is still a grace for him to be alive, because he now has time to tell God that he is sorry for his sins (quietly and in his heart).

The Chaplet of Divine Mercy as well as the Rosary

Thanks for giving me another great idea. :smiley:

I know they already pray the rosary…I’l ask the family of my friend if its alright to pray the Divine Mercy prayer too. :slight_smile:

I googled just now and saw that there is promise:that all who recite this chaplet at the hour of death or in the presence of the dying will receive great mercy. (from Wikepedia)

Quoted from:

divinemercyproductions.com/the_promises_of_divine_mercy.html

“I Myself will defend as My Own Glory , during their life time, and especially at the hour of death, those souls who will venerate My Fathomless Mercy.”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.