Prayers Please!!

I was wondering if you all could please keep me in your prayers? (And maybe offer some advice??) I’ve known for the past five years that I’m going to be a nun. The order I’m going to join wants their sisters to have a BA before they join. So in five years I’m going to go to New York and join the Sisters of Life. One of my friends is joining an order here in MI in about three weeks. Today was her graduation / going away party and she had a bunch of stuff in her room that she is giving away, and she was saying how this summer has really been about being with family and friends. It struck me that in five years, I’m going to have to say goodbye to all my friends and get rid of all my stuff. I know that’s really shallow but I was looking at my bookshelf and there’s a lot of books that I have loved for a really long time and will always love. Also I have a lot of CD’s because music is my life and it’s how I pray and how I pick myself up after a bad day. Also, getting rid of all my yarn…It’s going to be so hard!! Also my brother John has been going to school in Austria, getting his masters in Theology. He wants to go Notre Dame for his PhD, but if he doesn’t get in, he wants to go to Oxford. Plus they aren’t coming home this summer so it’s already really hard for me, but if he goes to Oxford, there will only be one or two years of him in the country and me still in MI. I know, besides the family, this seems really shallow but it just hit me all at once and I was just like O MY GOSH!!! It’s going to be so hard!!! Thanks for reading. It help a lot just to get this out. I’m really happy that He called me and I can’t wait but, it’s going to be so hard.

JMJ+
~Betsy

Totus tuus Maria!!

You sound like a incredibly courageous person! Remember you have nothing to fear when God is with you (all the time:p). It will be very hard, but in the end when you realize you are carrying out God’s plan for you, none of that will matter. Also remember that Satan will try to dissuade you from your mission, but he only goes after people who have something really important to do for God. God Bless!

Thank you very much!!

JMJ+
~Betsy

Totus tuus Maria!

Letting go of job, house, relationship, belongings … is probably easier than dying to oneself.

I think that you shouldn’t be thinking 5 years ahead; you are not ready for it. Getting to know yourself, God, and your relationship with Him now will help you on whichever vocation God might be calling you.

Take it easy…
I pray for you.

Letting go of job, house, relationship, belongings … is probably easier than dying to oneself.

It is only ONE ASPECT of dying to oneself. A very significant one, however.

Betsy, I will pray for you. Read Proverbs 3:5-6 whenever things are difficult. And remember that famous motto of Padre Pio: “Pray and don’t worry!”

You are right; that is part of it, I guessed i didn’t go deeper in what I was saying but it has something to do with the other sentence that I said…I wasn’t able to say it clearly.

I understood what you were saying. It helped me a lot! I have been feeling a lot better about it now that I have slept on it and talked with one of my friends who also discerned a call to the convent.

JMJ+
~Betsy

Totus tuus Maria!

The world needs religious vocations and thank God for calling you to religious life! What an awesome honor and privilege to be the bride of Christ! May God help you to become a holy nun!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.