Prayers you have composed you'd like to share

In the life of the Church devotions wax and wane in popularity because what speaks to one generation in a specific culture doesn’t always translate well to another. Or there just aren’t any prayers for intercession for newly canonized/beatified saints. I found this true in the instance of asking for the intercession and aid of my guardian angel. All I could find was a very nice one composed for children, but which didn’t satisfy me as an adult in need of daily assistance in keeping my baptismal vows. So, I composed this simple, yet mature one that I pray every day:

My Guardian Angel, pray for me. Guide, protect, and assist me that you may be able to present me before our God at the judgment holy, perfected in love, and with many fruits in my hands to offer him. Amen.

Please share any prayers you have composed. :gopray2:

Someone once taught me some variation of this, but I forget it exactly and have amended it to be my own (I think):

Lord,
Grant me the wisdom to know your will.
The courage to follow it.
And the strength to fulfill it.

I like that. Sounds like a great motto to live by, as well. As a person who does crosstitch I can see a sampler with that on it. :slight_smile:

My post-Communion prayer:

Thank you for the gift of your Body and Blood to nourish my soul. Please use it to make me a better wife, a better mother, a better Christian, and a better Catholic.

Lovely. And yet so down to earth. Great post communion prayer!

LoL, I just spent all day writing prayers for my CCD class to recite before we start our lessons. Not quite what you’re thinking of it looks like.

I do really like your Guardian Angel prayer. I know what you mean about “Angel of God, my guardian dear…”

When my children were very young I didn’t really want to use the “Now I lay me down to sleep” prayer. It was because even then they were very sensitive and I didn’t want them to come unglued over the “if I should die” part.:eek:
So I came up with:
Guard me, Jesus, through the night
Protect me always by Your might
Help me always do what’s right Amen

I customize Cardinal Merry de Val’s Litany of Humility for my own temptations of the day:
His starts: From the desire of being loved, Jesus deliver me. I continue it…
From the desire of____ , Jesus deliver me.
From the fear of _____ , Jesus deliver me.
(I fill in the blanks.)

When I’m driving or working, whenever I hear of their suffering I say like a mantra:
Lord Jesus Christ have mercy on the poor, Lord Jesus Christ have mercy on the animals.

Before I get up in the morning I say what is I guess a childrens’ prayer (I’m not quite awake so it works for me):
My God I offer thee this day all I shall think or do or say, uniting it with what was done on earth by Jesus Christ your Son.
Nice thread.:slight_smile:

I say something VERY similar after communion, but I keep going with as many things as I can come up with…

Thank you for the gift of your Body and Blood to nourish my soul. Please use it to make me a better wife, a better mother, a better daughter, a better worker, a better driver, a better sister, a better friend, a better citizen, a better Christian… etc. for as many things as I can think of.

When I drive (particularly after dark) I pray:

Lord, please keep your little ones off the road, keep them safe in their burrows, warm and dry and well fed and protect them from all but their most natural predators.

I also have a devotion to Blessed Pius IX and so using other novenas as examples I put together this novena to him.

Novena to Blessed Pius IX

Glorious Blessed Pius IX, sublime model of virtue, pure vessel of God’s grace, and Holy Father of the Church! Behold me humbly kneeling at your feet. I implore you in your loving kindness to pray for me before the throne of God. To you I have recourse in the dangers that daily surround me. Shield me against my selfishness and my indifference to God and to my neighbor. Inspire me to imitate you in all things. May your blessing be with me always, so that I may see and serve Christ in others, defend His Church and work for His kingdom.

Graciously obtain for me from God those favors and graces which I need so much in the trials, miseries and afflictions of life. You defended our holy Mother, the Church in the face of great heresies. You declared Our Lady to be Immaculately Conceived. You freed those imprisoned for political crimes. Your heart was always full of love, compassion and mercy toward priests and missionaries.

I therefore invoke your powerful intercession, confident in the hope that you will hear my prayers and obtain for me the special grace and favor I earnestly implore.

{mention your petition}

Help me, Holy Father Blessed Pius IX, to live and die as a faithful child of God and an obedient servant of the Church, to run in the sweetness of His loving will, and to attain the eternal happiness of heaven.

I promise, O Blessed Pius IX, to be ever mindful of this great favor granted me by God and to always honor you as my special and powerful patron, and to gratefully encourage devotion to you.

Amen.

May the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus be adored,
and loved in all the tabernacles until the end of time.

Amen.

May the most Sacred Heart of Jesus
be praised and glorified now and forever.

Amen

Blessed Pius IX pray for us and hear our prayers.

Amen.

Blessed be the Sacred Heart of Jesus
Blessed be the Immaculate Heart of Mary
Blessed be Blessed Pius IX
in all the world and for all Eternity.

(When finishing this prayer, recite the following prayers three times…)
Our Father…

Hail Mary…

Glory Be . . .

I love all the creativity along with the practicality of your prayers, everyone. I too like to say little aspirations throughout the day. And whenever I see or hear an emergency vehicle I cross myself and pray that God will grant them safety and good success for whatever situation they are responding to. Keep your prayer ideas coming so we can all be inspired and uplifted by them. :slight_smile:

This is a short everyday, anyday prayer I came up with when I was about 12. It goes as follows

Thank you for this day,
And please forgive our sins
Please let nothing bad happen
I love you,
Thanks,
Amen.

Yes, me too. I pray:

Lord have mercy, Christ have mercy, Lord have mercy.
May almighty God have mercy on them, forgive them their sins and lead them to everlasting life. Protect them that go to serve and those they go to help. Heal the sick, comfort the dying, console the bereaved and have mercy on the departed. Amen

whenever my family members or friends are going on a journey, I usually pray something like “dear Lord, please send your angels to watch over (name) and Mother Mary please keep them safe”

I have received many comments for what I say when the congregation is asked to add their own prayers of petition:

*For healing within families, especially for reconciliation between estranged husbands and wives that they may once more reflect the Love of Christ through the Sacrament of Matrimony. *

At adoration last night I had been contemplating the Sacred Heart of Jesus. I wanted a chaplet, but when I got home and looked them up, I didn’t like anything I found, so I wrote my own. The chaplet would have a crucifix, three small beads, a center piece, then three sections of five beads (for the five wounds of Christ) separated by large beads. The prayers and meditations are:

On the Crucifix:
Soul of Christ, sanctify me
Body of Christ, save me
Blood of Christ, inebriate me
Water from Christ’s side, wash me
Passion of Christ, strengthen me
O good Jesus, hear me
Within Thy wounds hide me
Suffer me not to be separated from Thee
From the malicious enemy defend me
In the hour of my death call me
And bid me come unto Thee
That I may praise Thee with Thy saints
and with Thy angels
Forever and ever
Amen

On the Next Three Beads
One Our Father
One Hail Mary
One Glory Be

On the First Large Bead
Oh Sacred and Glorious Heart of Christ
Fertile ground of our salvation
Merciful and loving hope of redemption,
Hear us now
Let us grow ever closer to Thee, Oh Christ
As we love Thee, let us love Thy Holy Will
And never be seperate from love of Thy most Sacred Heart

On each of the Five small beads, contemplating the first Mark of the Sacred Heart (the Crown of Thorns)
Oh most beautiful and Holy Heart
Of Our Lord Jesus Christ
Hear us, Have Mercy, Graciously Hear us
Let us never tire of loving Thee.

On the Next Large Bead
Fertile ground of our salvation,
Hear us now
Let us grow ever closer to Thee, O’ Christ,

On Each of the Five small beads, contemplating the second mark of the Sacred Heart (the wound)
Of Our Lord Jesus Christ
Hear us, Have mercy, graciousy hear us

On the Next Large Bead
Fertile ground of our salvation,
Hear us now
Let us grow ever closer to Thee, O’ Christ,

On Each of the Five small beads, contemplating the third mark of the Sacred Heart (the flames)
Of Our Lord Jesus Christ
Hear us, Have mercy, graciousy hear us

Final Prayer
O Lord, in contemplating the holy marks of your most Sacred Heart,
I desire ever more to love Thee, to know Thee, and to be with Thee.
Let me never be seperated from Thee,
So that in all I do, I honor Thee.
May I never tire of contemplating Thy Sacred Heart,
And finding within it comfort and salvation.
Amen

Exclamatory Prayer:

Oh God!
Keep me close to Your Merciful Heart!
Let me snuggle in Your mercy and love!
Let me be forever known as Your own!
I love You!
Help me love myself, because You are everything!

and a letter to St. Therese (it’s long. I know)

Dear St. Therese,
Hi dear. It’s me. Now, I know that I’m a sinner, and I do things that don’t please God. Most people would treat a person like myself badly. They might even not want to talk to me at all. But Jesus loves me. I’m trying to love Him back, at least a little bit. You were “big” on being “little.” You weren’t a strong hero who freed the Holy Land, and you weren’t captured by enemies and tortured for your faith. But what you did was so powerful and moving. You showed your love for God by the little things you did for others. You once said, “I want to be a saint…but i feel so helpless.” I feel like that sometimes too. But, I do things like help young children, volunteering to read at Mass, and just being a kind and loving person. I know sometimes I fail, but these things keep me going, and they make me so happy.
Sweet Therese, I ask a favor from you. I suffer from mental problems that give me an irrational and frightening fear of death. I don’t understand it, but it scares me. Whenever I have a panic attack, I get so frightened, and I live in constant fear of having one again. Once, when you were young, you suffered from a similar problem after your mother passed. Please, St. Therese, interceed to my Lord for help. I don’t know what I’m going to do and how I’m going to handle it. I need a friend to comfort me. Please stay by this little girl and comfort her in her time of distress. Send me one of your heavely roses so that I may know everything is alright. I know that you are a special young lady, and you can help me. Please, stay by my side and help me through my pain. I love you!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.