Praying etiquette

How important is it to not forget while praying to add the “thy will” and the intercession parts? Examples:

Should I always remember to pray “God, help my brother if you will” instead of just “God help my brother”?

Should I always remember to pray “Saint Mary, intercede on behalf of my brother’s health” instead of just “Saint Mary, cure my brother”?

Thank you!

P.S. Knowing you folks, I better add that my blood brother is well but could always use a prayer. Those were just simple examples.

If your general attitude in prayer is that you want to be conformed to God’s will, you don’t need to state it explicitly every time you pray. (I do think it is a good idea to state “Thy will be done” at least occasionally to keep you in that attitude.)

My only concern with “Saint Mary, cure my brother” is that it’s not accurate, and sometimes the way we pray leads us to a way of believing (lex orendi, lex credendi). If you pray that way long enough, there is a danger you might start to believe it is Mary doing the curing.

Sometimes I end up simply praying, “God, help me to know your will.” Does that help? I mean, there isn’t an actual formula to be followed in praying. There is the Lord’s Prayer, which is a starting point.

This is good advice. I second this.

God has a really, REALLY great Memory. :wink: If you say to Him… now and then, “Lord, Thy Holy and Perfect Will be done”… He knows that it is the intent of your heart, whenever you pray… and therefore, it’s not necessary to say it each time.

I also agree with the statement about prayers to Our Lady (or any of the saints)… that their intercession should always be asked through God’s Power.

Remember that prayers should be a two way conversation. We listen to God as well as speak to Him in prayer. As I tell my classes, we have two ears and one mouth. That should give us a sense of proportions for each.

Before praying for something, I find it well to start by asking God what I should be asking for and trying to listen a bit.

closed #6

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.