Praying for a spouse

Hi there,

Just wanted to seek opinions regarding people praying for a spouse. I'm 30 this year and am thinking of settling down but have yet to meet anyone suitable who is Catholic. Have read that some people pray to St Raphael and even to certain saints for help to find a spouse. I'm very tempted to join dating agencies and websites but do not know if this is right or should I just wait on the Lord to see what His will is for me? Sorry if this sounds trivial but just wanted to get this off my chest.

I pray for my future husband all the time.

Hi:

I pray that 12seekpeace and trinichiqn will find the spouses that God has intended for them. It is said that "we are not meant to be alone", and as I know that God hears all those who fervently turn to him, I am sure He will hear their prayers.

Take care and God Bless.

Jacques

Praying for a spouse is a wonderful practice. I try to pray for my future husband often. I also pray to St. Raphael for him, for a holy and happy marriage.

Join my group, let's pray together; click my signature below. :)

Pray for your future spouse, but also pray to be open to what God wants of you. Pray that if you are to be married, that God shows you who that person is, and pray that if you come across him or her you recognize it.

There is nothing wrong with dating sites, as long as you're aware that you will probably go through a lot more unsuitable people than you would in real life. This sometimes can be discouraging. I've never done this myself, but I know people who have been successful and I know other people who were not. There are people on this forum who it worked out for, so their advice would be better than mine.

I will also pray for you. :)

[quote="12seekpeace, post:1, topic:245677"]
Hi there,

Just wanted to seek opinions regarding people praying for a spouse. I'm 30 this year and am thinking of settling down but have yet to meet anyone suitable who is Catholic. Have read that some people pray to St Raphael and even to certain saints for help to find a spouse. I'm very tempted to join dating agencies and websites but do not know if this is right or should I just wait on the Lord to see what His will is for me? Sorry if this sounds trivial but just wanted to get this off my chest.

[/quote]

For some people those sites work, for others they don't. Probably just like the offline hunting. At any rate, those websites offer you the opportunity to set up a profile and be found, which isn't bad.

I have prayed to St. Joseph and am in the middle of praying a St. Jude novena now. I'm also praying that I will be transformed into the kind of Catholic wife and mother that I long to be (see Proverbs 31). While I tried a dating site once and met someone who I had lots of fun with, it didn't last very long due to our conflicting values, at the end of the day. When I asked him what suggestions he had (I was curious as to why he abruptly ended our dating but thankful for it later), he said I was "too good" and that I needed to find a "good" man.
So that is what I'm praying for - genuine goodness. Since that time, I've dated but with the same end (incompatibility) so I have decided to occupy my time with other personal goals and that God would bring us (this "good" man) together and I'm letting God be the matchmaker. No matter who this person is, I am putting my full trust in the Lord because I don't have the best track record on deciding who to date.
Others have had different outcomes with dating sites, etc, but that is just my personal view.
This is also a good verse to lean on: "Find your delight in the LORD who will give you your heart's desire." - Prov. 37:4 NAB
If it is your heart's desire and it is a "good" desire, then He will provide because He put that desire there.

Saying a prayer for you now.

I'm glad you posted this 12seekpeace. I would also like to see if there are any particular prayers for a good future spouse. Praying for you and everyone here. Blessings!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.