Praying for Byzantine Catholics in our Roman Catholic Cathedral

Every week in the (Latin) Cathedral where I live we remember 3 or 4 parishes throughout the diocese. A couple weeks ago we prayed for a nearby Byzantine Catholic church. Although the church is located within the geographical territory of our diocese, they are of course not part of our diocese or under the jurisdiction of our bishop; they have their own Eparchy (Phoenix I believe).

Usually Latins don’t even know Eastern Catholics exist, so I am always pleased when they are acknowledged, and I am sure they are grateful for our prayers. But I did think it a bit curious that we are praying for churches in other dioceses (I certainly wouldn’t expect the BC Cathedral in Phoenix to pray for Latin parishes near me)–does anybody else know if this happens much in Catholic Cathedrals, East or West?

No, but perhaps it’s just a kind gesture? Just on community of Catholics being prayed for by another community of Catholics.

In the Catholic Churches of the Byzantine Rite , we pray for the Pope, the entire Catholic Church and “all Christians of the True Faith” in every Divine Liturgy we celebrate. This is especially true at a Hierarchical Divine Liturgy, sometimes also called a Pontifical Divine Liturgy, in which the Bishop presides as main celebrant.

It’s nice to hear that prayers have been offered. I know that the Eparchy of Phoenix (formerly of Van Nuys, CA) enjoys very strong relationships with the clergy and hierarchs of the Latin Church in the territorial dioceses in which it also has churches present. This is, of course, an example of Catholic unity at its finest.

That said, I hope the prayers are general intentions, and not indicative of some form of crisis or hardship at a local Eastern Catholic church.

The Diocese of Phoenix and the Holy Protection of Mary Byzantine Catholic Eparchy of Phoenix have very good relations with each other. Bishop Thomas James Olmsted invites Bishop Gerald Dino to many diocesan events and they dedicated a cemetery together a few years ago.

They pair up nicely, in many respects. BTW - Bishop Dino was a former pastor of my father’s home parish. He seems to have settle into the Bishop’s role rather well. I saw him a few months ago in Passaic, and he was most cordial. May God grant him and Bishop Olmsted many years!

There is no Eastern Catholic Cathedral anywhere near us so I can’t answer that part. :slight_smile:

Our tiny parish is certainly no cathedral, but we do pray for our “sister parish St Monica’s” in every DL. It began when their pastor was assigned as our administrator. He and his parish became wonderful supporters of us in a challenging time. Many of them have come to our liturgies and Father concelebrated with us for our evening feasts. The parish bought us much needed new signage. When much later we moved next door to their church, in the old convent, they bought a beautiful set of vestments from Russia for our priest, which they gave us the day of our first Divine Liturgy in our new location.

The EC bishop in the pictures has no beard. Is outrage!

Those pesky Ruthenians and their vain clean-shaven faces! :smiley:

BTW (and to the theme of the thread) - we often pray for our Orthodox brothers and sisters, too!

Yes, they were general intentions, offered for the Byzantine church along with a couple Latin parishes within our diocese. The Byzantine parish is doing quite well, as far as I know, and has a strong (and overwhelmingly Latin) congregation. I participate in the DL or Vespers+DL there every few months and it’s a truly wonderful experience.

This is why I find the whole “sui juris church” structure deeply disturbing ecclesiologically. A diocese is supposed to be all the Christians in a particular place. There’s no warrant in the Tradition for having overlapping dioceses.

Unity at the local level means that you gather around the altar with all the Christians who live in your locality. Unity at the universal level means that your particular community is under the authority of a bishop who is in union with all other bishops.

Also, I don’t see why one wouldn’t pray for churches in other dioceses, even apart from my particular beef with non-geographical organization.

Edwin

One might feel differently if one of their priests was essentially thrown out of a chancery upon presenting his credentials to the local Archbishop.

Having many ritual Churches in the same area is similar to having an English Mass and a Spanish Mass on the Sunday at the same church. Although one ecclesial community, it is subdivided by language. Each ritual Church decides upon the ritual forms and language norms.

In our (the Byzantine community I sometimes I got to) last Divine Liturgy at a Catholic campus ministry center we were at last year, our biritual priest (former Eastern Orthodox friar, now Dominican priest) offered prayers for the bishop of the Roman Catholic archdiocese.

Also, the patron of the Roman chapel or parish (currently we are at St. Brigid Catholic Church) is always mentioned together with the patron of the Byzantine community (St. Anastasia the Great Martyr) during the prayers, such as at the ambon prayers.

Finally, when the icons are incensed at the beginning of Divine Liturgy, the statues or Stations of the Cross belonging to the Roman chapel or parish are also incensed as well.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.