Praying for death?

I almost feel really bad for asking this, but I am very curious.

Is it ever permissible to pray for the death of someone, yourself or someone else?

For instance: if you or someone else is dying and in a lot of pain or even just lingering for years in a coma or something, is it permissible to ask for their death? Does it change it at all if you say, "Jesus, I don't see any other way than death here. Please take him or her, but only if it is really Your Will."

Also, what if someone is really bad, say, like a horrid murderer or even just an unrepentant wife beater or something? Would it ever be permissible to say, "Jesus, please take this person from the earth because they are causing so much harm, but only if it is Your Will".

Does it matter if you actively want the person to die? Does that change anything?

For that matter, is it a sin to want the death to occur, even if you don't pray for it to happen? Like just kindof wishing a dictator would die?

I don't want to give the impression that I am referencing the recent bombers or any political figure or advocating for euthanasia. I am not. It is just a question I have had for many years. We can pray for all kinds of things, knowing we must accept the Will of God. Is this different and why?

You know, this was my very first post, as a new member, starting a thread asking this.

I wouldn't want my own death, right now, as a healthy person without too many problems. But I wonder if I were terminally ill and/or in great pain, what would be going through my mind.

The consensus of the people who responded seemed to be that we shouldn't do it, but I remember one poster saying that one of the priests said, in the ask-a-question forum, that under some circumstances it might be acceptable.

I've prayed before for people in very poor health conditions and my prayer has always been for their suffering to end, however the Father may see fit to do it. I think that could also be applied to "evil dictators" by praying for their reign to end, however the Father sees fit to do it.
I can't really believe that God will split hairs over semantics - he knows our hearts, and what is truly in them. I would say pray with charity and compassion, God will do His will.

It is perfectly fine to pray for death, but not to kill yourself of course.

[quote="littlenothing, post:1, topic:323685"]
I almost feel really bad for asking this, but I am very curious.

Is it ever permissible to pray for the death of someone, yourself or someone else?

For instance: if you or someone else is dying and in a lot of pain or even just lingering for years in a coma or something, is it permissible to ask for their death? Does it change it at all if you say, "Jesus, I don't see any other way than death here. Please take him or her, but only if it is really Your Will."

[/quote]

to pray for they dying, in my opinion, would be a pious thing to do.

Also, what if someone is really bad, say, like a horrid murderer or even just an unrepentant wife beater or something? Would it ever be permissible to say, "Jesus, please take this person from the earth because they are causing so much harm, but only if it is Your Will".

Does it matter if you actively want the person to die? Does that change anything?

For that matter, is it a sin to want the death to occur, even if you don't pray for it to happen? Like just kindof wishing a dictator would die?

I don't want to give the impression that I am referencing the recent bombers or any political figure or advocating for euthanasia. I am not. It is just a question I have had for many years. We can pray for all kinds of things, knowing we must accept the Will of God. Is this different and why?

because of the sins of many their love may grow cold...to pray for death to occur in this situation would be unhealthy for a Christian to do. One ought to desire the same destiny, that Christians hold hope in, would the same destiny for all of those we love. if we are to love as Christ does we would pray for the life of those types mentioned.
OP you mention God's will being done.
When praying with the Holy Spirit being the inspiration for the prayer, you can know that the will of God will be done. For God inspired the prayer.
Which prayer seems to be inspired by the Holy Spirit?
That a person who is suffering a long death, be filled with God's peace when they die as an end to their suffering
That an unrepentant sinner should die in such state, to suffer forever?

[quote="fbl9, post:5, topic:323685"]
to pray for they dying, in my opinion, would be a pious thing to do.
because of the sins of many their love may grow cold...to pray for death to occur in this situation would be unhealthy for a Christian to do. One ought to desire the same destiny, that Christians hold hope in, would the same destiny for all of those we love. if we are to love as Christ does we would pray for the life of those types mentioned.
OP you mention God's will being done.
When praying with the Holy Spirit being the inspiration for the prayer, you can know that the will of God will be done. For God inspired the prayer.
Which prayer seems to be inspired by the Holy Spirit?
That a person who is suffering a long death, be filled with God's peace when they die as an end to their suffering
That an unrepentant sinner should die in such state, to suffer forever?

[/quote]

When in doubt, I would, instead say, "Lord. I pray for the best and just outcome as only You can give."

When my mother's death became humanly inevitable, I prayed one night that her suffering would end; Also, that unless there is great or greater suffering, she would not die on Christmas Day or my brother's birthday, two weeks earlier; she died the very next morning, on no day in particular. I think God heard my prayer and said, "okay, then...she shall be received and spared of pain"

As for less than admirable people, I go back to "I pray for the best and just outcome as only You can give."

You can ask God anything ..but I feel if you want to put death to yourself, that is pointless because you don't know what God has planned ahead for you, so you can do it but I wouldn't advise it.

If you pray for someone else's death, I believe God will make it come back to you.

Either way, it is God's will.

Just want to clarify: I am not suicidal at all, nor am I wishing anyone dead. Its just a question I have always had.

I remember once when I was told that a man died who beat his wife and kids. He was apparently drunk and had a wreck. Some people were saying God "took him" for the sake of the woman and her kids. That made me uncomfortable to think of it that way, but I could see that God, who knows all hearts, does know when its best to allow our deaths.

[quote="littlenothing, post:8, topic:323685"]
Just want to clarify: I am not suicidal at all, nor am I wishing anyone dead. Its just a question I have always had.

I remember once when I was told that a man died who beat his wife and kids. He was apparently drunk and had a wreck. Some people were saying God "took him" for the sake of the woman and her kids. That made me uncomfortable to think of it that way, but I could see that God, who knows all hearts, does know when its best to allow our deaths.

[/quote]

I agree, it's God's will.

And this reminds me that my mother suggested God "took" my aunt so she wouldn't see her two grandchildren have troubles in their lives (divorce, spending their inheritance).

"Please take him or her, but only if it is really Your Will."

One wouldn't want to make the Almighty do anything against His will.

Sorry, I'm just joking with you; but out of context, this is funny.

i think we can pray for any body or soul to be “at peace and without suffering”. that leaves it open to God’s will for his interpretation…or healing…

Gosh I hope it is okay.

I prayed for the death of both of my parents.

Both were in pain, terribly uncomfortable.

Neither had any real hope of recovery.

So, I prayed for their comfort which would only come in death.

Both times, they died within 12 hours.

[quote="Aloysium, post:10, topic:323685"]
One wouldn't want to make the Almighty do anything against His will.

Sorry, I'm just joking with you; but out of context, this is funny.

[/quote]

Ha ha!! And its a darn good thing we can't! The world would've ended long, long ago!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.