Praying for gifts

I remember reading in one of the threads that it is wrong to pray for gifts. By this I don’t mean the gifts received during confirmation but more like the charismatic gifts. It was stated that objections were found in the Catechism of the Catholic Church, St. Faustina’s diary and also that St. John of the Cross had stated that one should not pray for special gifts because it is for God to decide as to whom he should give these gifts.
Am I right in my understanding or have I got it all wrong?
Can someone give me the exact references please so that I can have a better understanding and accordingly quote it to others?
Thanks

Hi Regina. Your question is a good one, and I hope that you will get some great answers.

But as for me, I can only share my opinion (for whatever it’s worth). I don’t have any references… just my gut feeling. I have always believed that we should not ask God for Gifts… per say (to whom much is given, much will be expected); but rather, present ourselves to God… in cooperation to His Will.

In other words, offer yourself to God as a “tool” for His Will to be done. Then, wait… and see what He will do.

Did that make any sense? lol. I hope so.

God bless. :slight_smile:

**Regina0206 **
I remember reading in one of the threads that it is wrong to pray for gifts. By this I don’t mean the gifts received during confirmation but more like the charismatic gifts. It was stated that objections were found in the Catechism of the Catholic Church, St. Faustina’s diary and also that St. John of the Cross had stated that one should not pray for special gifts because it is for God to decide as to whom he should give these gifts.
Am I right in my understanding or have I got it all wrong?
Can someone give me the exact references please so that I can have a better understanding and accordingly quote it to others?
Thanks

Yes I have had problems finding the quotes myself. So I don’t argue with the charismatic folk who preach that we must pray for such gifts and God grants them to those who ask: “Ask and you shall receive”. My opinion is that it is God’s will to grant them to those he thinks worthy of receiving such gifts.

Well, going by the replies, I guess the references don’t exist.
I do appeciate however that you both took the time to respond.

MarieVeronica - I take the following two important points with me
to whom much is given, much will be expected; and
offer yourself to God as a “tool” for His Will to be done
Thank you

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.