Praying for involved in popular media

We all enjoy the work of actors, actresses, directors, scriptwriters, artists, musicians and many others, on stage, in the cinema or on television, yet do we ever think of praying for them? Theatre and, most particularly, cinema and the media are the most powerful and influential institutions in the world today and are areas in which the Gospel must also be heard and lived.

The Fraternity of St Genesius www.stgenesius.com seeks to play its part in the renewal of culture chiefly through prayer and sacrifice. We would like to welcome you to join us in our mission of prayer and support.

Changing the world, one prayer at a time!

Support the Catholic artists who have sacrificed fame and fortune to give themselves completely for God’s glory!

There are so many, but here are two who have given their live to Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior!!!

First, i am inspired by the incredible Catholic musician, writer and singer Danielle Rose (now Sr. Rose Therese, Disciples of the Lord Jesus Christ; daniellerose.com/pages/1/index.htm, dljc.org/english/index.cfm?active=1)

i am also inspired by the people behind the movie Bella, from Metanoia films (bellamoviesite.com/). It stars Eduardo Verastegui (eduardoverastegui.com), another inspirational man who gave up worldly success, millions of dollars and media fame for service to Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior!!

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, Ora Pro Nobis Peccatoribus!

mark

I started praying for my favorite actor, Robert Patrick, about five years ago.

I think it’s working.

Since I started praying, he has become an active member of the Anglican Episcopal Church and mentions his church often in interviews. Hey, how many actors do you know of who ever attend any church, let along talk about it in public?!

He has remained married (with children), and speaks well of his wife, children, and marriage. In almost every interview, he brings up his family and how important they are to him.

He attends a Bible study and speaks of it in interviews.

He is involved with excellent charitable organizations, including Habitat for Humanity and MDA.

And he is healthy mentally and physically. He has spoken in public about his problems with alcohol and how he has been sober for many years now–this is something new. Until recently, he never spoke of this.

He was in a motorcycle accident a few years ago and really whacked up his left arm (he’s left-handed). But it seems that he’s strong and fit now, and I’m grateful he wasn’t hurt worse.

And he’s doing some wonderful work in his show, The Unit and in his movies (Although I have to admit that Autopsy seems gross, but I haven’t actually gotten up the nerve to watch it yet! I think he did it in memory of his teenaged years!).

I think that if we have a favorite media personality (actor, singer, artist, etc.), we should pray for them. It is so hard for these people to have a normal life and marriage and family life. Sure, it sounds easy because we assume they are all rich–that’s not true at all. And they have so many pressures to sin big. I think it is a kindness to pray for them.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.