Praying for life

I was inside a friend’s car along with two other passengers the other day and we were just talking a host of things when the topic centered on road accidents among people driving on long road trips. The person sitting on the front seat told of her story while riding on a bus during a long ride home. She said she has never been afraid her whole life until that night when they nearly had an accident. And the only other thing that she could think of other than feeling afraid was that she started to pray. She admitted she wasn’t a prayerful person or that she seldoms pray. But she has never prayed more intently or called on the name of Jesus until during that moment in her life.
God is speaking to me about prayer today, I thought. Here I am, stuck in the middle of traffic and I suddenly went into a reflective mood. He certainly has His own way of getting my attention. I have been oriented to a life of prayer ever since I entered the renewal community almost 10 years ago. I have been to numerous prayer meetings, heard talks about prayer and attended prayer workshops. Yet today, I was struck about prayer in another way – praying for your own life in the midst of danger and uncertainty. For those of us whose prayer times are quite ‘stable’ so to speak, we oftentimes make prayer a routine, a much needed part of the day that we had to get through. I, for one, am guilty of being distracted imagining other things even before I start my morning praises. It hasn’t been an easy journey for me. For the past two or three years, I have struggled with my own prayer time until I woke up one day and realized I didn’t have one anymore. And I wandered farther away, forgetting who it is I am suppose to focus on, who He is in my life. He is the one who will get me through each day I was imagining about and that He is going to be watching over my life every day. Giving me strength to prepare for the day, keeping me nourished with the food on the table, allowing me to learn and encounter Him in my work, getting me through trials and troubles and most importantly, keeping me from all harm and dangers. And at the end of the day, I have another chance to come before Him in prayer. A privilege to pray again with all that I am –sinner and all. And realizing this truth, I don’t want to wait for my life to be in a moment of grave danger before I start praying. I believe that we should see prayer as an opportunity to praise, confess, thank and supplicate as if our very own life depended on it.

Moments of grave danger can be used to get our attention. If someone tries to deny God, but starts screaming for Him in a moment of crisis, what does that say? There is always a longing in our lives for God, only some don’t want to admit it.

My own prayer life is often lacking. But God gives us each day as a gift to turn it into praising Him.

There had never been any sign that my brother-in-law believed in God…but he refered to the afterlife in his eulogy for my mother-in-law at her funeral service. And my sister-in-law has claimed to be an atheist but she sang the Irish blessing at the end…sometimes peole believe in God, and maybe even pray, when it comes to those crucial moments of life.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.