Praying for people when prayers have not been asked for?

Hi everyone. What should one do in the case where you know someone needs prayers but they have not asked for prayers or worse yet, they have asked that they not be prayed for? :shrug::confused:

Pray anyway :smiley:

Read the Psalms for them. :thumbsup:

Is this what the Church would teach us to do? :shrug::confused:

Nobody asked Mary to ask her Son to change water into wine at Cana :smiley:

How about Matthew 5:44
44] But I say to you, Love your enemies and** pray** for those who persecute you,

Do you think Jesus has in mind that the persecutors have asked for prayers? Hardly. Therefore, it is not only alright, but even commanded if you consider this verse. By the same line of reasoning, if we are to pray for our persecutors, how much more should we pray for anyone in general who needs prayers.

One of the traditional spiritual works of mercy is to pray for the living and the dead. Never have I seen anything in the least to suggest that we should restrict this to people who have asked for prayers.

I think that such a person would be most in need of prayers. I would definitely make praying for them a priority. You don’t have to let them know you are doing so; it can be a little secret between you and God.

God’s command that we pray for each other trumps this person’s request that you NOT pray for them.

Ah yeah. I never really considered that verse when thinking about this. But it does make sense to include it. Thank you! :slight_smile:

I agree. I always thought it was a good idea to pray for people even if they don’t want to be prayed for but I didn’t know waht the Church thought about the issue. :o Now, I think I do. :thumbsup:

Always good to pray for people

Psalms
Chapter 23
1 A psalm of David. %between% The LORD is my shepherd; there is nothing I lack. 2 In green pastures you let me graze; to safe waters you lead me; 3 you restore my strength. You guide me along the right path for the sake of your name. 4 Even when I walk through a dark valley, I fear no harm for you are at my side; your rod and staff give me courage. 5 You set a table before me as my enemies watch; You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. 6 Only goodness and love will pursue me all the days of my life; I will dwell in the house of the LORD for years to come.

Are you saying that it is always good to pray the 23rd Psalm for people? :shrug::confused:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.