Praying for Something in particular

I’ve always sort of been confused as to whether praying for something very particular for yourself is alright or not. I do have something I really need to pray for though, and I dont think it’s that selfish of a prayer, but I’m not quite sure how to go about it.

There is an academic program that I am trying to get accepted into. This program is quite competitive, but I’m convinced it’s what I want to do. I’ve tried a few different academic routes, but I’ve never seen myself become so committed, and determied to get into a program as I am now. This is really important to me, and I feel it could be the beginning of something wonderful. I know God has plans for us all, but if it is His will, it would just mean the world to me to be granted acceptance into this program.

I was wondering if any of you had any prayer suggestions. Like what to pray for, and also maybe devotions, patron saints, or novenas I could pray etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreicated. Thank you so much!

God Bless.

Nothing wrong with praying for your own needs. Paul says ‘in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God’ (Philippians 4:6)

Not sure about novenas or particular prayers, but a good saint to pray to would be the patron of students, St Thomas Aquinas. And don’t forget the Holy Spirit of course, source of the gift of wisdom.

Simply pray to make the best choice possible in regard to your future, and to get into this program if it is God’s will.

you might want to pray to St. Thomas Aquinas, called by his brothers the Dumb Ox because he was considered so stupid, turned out to be one of the Church’s greatest theologians, and considered by most to be one of greatest minds in history.

or St. Anthony of Padua, who was considered to stupid to preach, but when called upon to preach at a gathering of priests who could not agree on a preacher, astounded everyone with his wisdom, knowledge and understanding of the word of God. Both of these great minds enhanced and promoted not only theology but education in general in their day.

Thank you both so much. I am definitley going to try praying to both those Saints, and to the Holy Spirit as well.
I’ve generally been known to be a pretty unmotivated person, and it’s amazing to see how commited I’ve become to this. I thank you both for your advice, it really means alot to me.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.