Praying for souls in Purgatory

I really want to pray for souls in Purgatory, but I don’t know how… do you know of any good ways? what does the Church teach about this?

Also, I’m worried that I’ll start praying, but stop after a couple times. I want to remember that the souls really need our help… but I’m afraid I don’t know enough about Purgatory, and don’t think about them as much as I should at all.

what other things can we do for them? can we offer our sufferings or ‘little sacrifices’, and get indulgences for them? I know there’s an indulgence coming up on All Souls day… does anyone know what we have to do for it?

You can offer many different kinds of prayers — the Rosary, the Mass, a Hail Mary, etc. — for the souls in Purgatory.

You can offer any indulgenced work either for yourself or for the souls in Purgatory. As part of my morning prayers when I wake up, along with my morning offering I say, “I offer all the indulgences I obtain today for the souls in Purgatory.” I figure they’ll do the same for me when I die!

You can obtain a plenary indulgence (applicable to the souls in Purgatory, not to yourself) if you go to a cemetery during the first eight days of November and pray for the souls in Purgatory. (Usual conditions for all plenary indulgences: go to confession within about a week, receive Communion, pray for the Pope, be detached from sin.)

ourladyswarriors.org/prayer/purgator.htm

thanks! :slight_smile:

You can obtain a plenary indulgence (applicable to the souls in Purgatory, not to yourself) if you go to a cemetery during the first eight days of November and pray for the souls in Purgatory. (Usual conditions for all plenary indulgences: go to confession within about a week, receive Communion, pray for the Pope, be detached from sin.)

I was wondering about this, is it possible to ask God to apply this indulgence to a particular person who might be in Purgatory? but what if this person is buried in another cemetary, does it not matter?

God bless :slight_smile:

I, too, would like to know the answer.

I believe you can ask it to be applied to a particular person, and if that soul is not in Purgatory, He will apply it where it will do the most good.

That’s what I was taught anyway.

Another good resource for prayers for the Holy Souls is the book: Praying in the Presence of the Lord for the Holy Souls. It’s small enough to carry around, filled with ancient and modern devotions and you can get it off Amazon pretty cheapily.

Yes, you can ask God to apply an indulgence to a particular soul in Purgatory, but you must leave it to His mercy and wisdom to finally decide. God always knows best; it’s our job to pray and to trust God with the results of our prayer.

It doesn’t matter what cemetery your loved one is buried in; you can pray in any cemetery. God knows where to find your loved one!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.