Praying for the salvation of friend who has already died

Hello all. So about a year and a half ago, one of my friends died in a freak accident. He was having some issues with his faith at the time (what young person isn’t).
My question is, is it alright to pray for his salvation, and ask that my prayers be applied to the time of his death, since I don’t know the state of his soul at the time? God IS out of time, after all.
Thoughts?

Two things here. 1) It is always all right to pray for the repose of the souls of the dead no matter when they died or what state we think their souls were in at the time. Only God is the judge of each of our souls, not us. So, do pray for your friend.

1. God is NEVER out of time. We might be, but not God. We have a set limit to our days in this life in which to decide if we are going to seek God or not. But God lives in eternity. He sees everything as if it has already happened. This does not mean that we don’t have free will, though. Only God knows how time works exactly. It may be more fluid than we imagine and so always changing outcomes by our decisions. Only God knows and sees how all things might be or are. So, we can never say that God is out of time.
  1. It is ALWAYS ok to pray for the repose the those who passed on into eternity.
  2. God Almighty is NEVER out of time. The word ‘time’ doesnt exist in God’s vocabulary;)

I will pray fro the repose of your friend.

Réquiem ætérnam dona eis, Dómine,
et lux perpétua lúceat eis.
Requiéscant in pace. Amen:signofcross:

Hi Della, the OP means that God isn’t *bound *by time…

Yes, God isn’t subject to time. And yes your prayers can go to the past because God is eternal, powerful and merciful. Jesus’ redeeming action goes to the past to includes the good persons of the Old Testament. Just because they died before He was born didn’t exclude them. Time didn’t matter there.

…and [FONT=Times New Roman]“The depths of a person can only be known by his own spirit, not by any other person.” [1Corinthians 2:1] …but of course, known by God[/FONT]

Very good, that’s what I thought the OP meant about time.

Haha yeah, I did mean “not bound by time.” Thanks for the responses.

I see. You meant to say that God is outside of time. Duh. :ouch: Glad of that, in any case. :wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.