Praying in Jesus name

I’m a Roman catholic, but after I have read the Bible , I doubt the catholic beliefs. Although, there mentioned about Mary -She will be called the Mother -, which was mentioned once. I always read about praying to the Father in Jesus name. Why do we have to pray the rosary which is made of bead and repetitive prayers? It was mentioned many times about the pagan praying using beads and repetitive prayers. It also mentioned that God already knows your need that you don’t need to pray repetitively. There is nothing in the Bible that says you have to go through Mary to seek or ask the Father? Can somebody explain this clearly to me.

Thank you :slight_smile:

What is the origin of the Rosary? who is the first person to ever use this device? What year was it that the Hail Mary prayer was first said in it’s complete form? Do you have church father quotes of them talking about saying the hail mary or using a rosary?

Just wondering, I am glad Catholics pray so much, I would just like to know about your methods and their origins. I do not know these answers, these are not setup questions.

I think you may be a little confused here.

You don’t “have” to pray the rosary. It is not a requirement.

Many people have a strong devotion to the Blessed Mother, and there are many ways to have reverence and devotion to her and not pray the Rosary.

Remember also, that while we may be saying a “Hail Mary”, we are to be meditating on different aspects of Jesus and his earthly life.

Here is some great information on the rosary from right here at CAF…

catholic.com/library/Rosary.asp

Is this how Jesus taught?

The Hail Mary is found in Luke and I believe Matthew :

“Greetings, favoured one! The Lord is with you.”

“Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb.”

her intercession is cited with the other saints in Revelation 5:8.

In the Library page of this website is this information about Mary and the Rosary. Lots of good info there.

Is this how Jesus taught?

Is what how Jesus taught?

Hey Jey, how are you?

I’m going to try and give an answer to this one.

The reason we have repetitious prayer is both for the benefit of our own meditiation, and to honor God and His mother through prayer that helps to unite us to certain mysteries of faith. To pray the chaplet, for example, and repeat “For the sake of His sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world” helps us to contemplate the mystery of Christ’s condemnation, crusifixion, and resurrection, and through that contemplation we grow closer to Him. You are right in saying “God already knows your need”, but do you always pray because you want to get something? OR, do you pray because you want to grow closer to Him and - in some mystical way - cooperate in God’s plan of salvation? I doubt that Jesus prayed simply because He needed something.

On the field of apologetics, Jesus does not condemn repetitious prayer when He warns against “empty words”, or “babbling on like the pagans do”. In fact, He Himself prayed repetitious prayers. As a faithful Jew He would have prayed the Psalms daily, and Psalm 136 is a prayer that repeats the phrase “God’s love indures forever” many, many times. There are other examples in the Old Testament of repetitive prayers.

I understand why you feel a bit uncertain about this, I was too a few years ago. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with putting down the Rosary for now, saying “I’m sorry, but I have to find out if I should be doing this” and then going out to find out; that’s what I did.

The only time “pray” is used in the Rosary is to ask Mary pray for us. I know of no protestant denomination that does not ask its members on a regualr basis to pray for someone. What is the problem with asking the same of the Mother of God?

The Rosary is a meditation on the mysteries of the Gospel.

Tradition has that St Dominic institued the Rosary in the 12th century. It starts with the recitation of the creed (2nd centrury) :

I believe in God, the Father Almighty, Creator of heaven and earth. I believe in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord. Who was conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried. He descended to the dead. On the third day He rose again. He ascended into heaven, and is seated at the right hand of the Father. He will come again to judge the living and the dead, and his kingdom will have no end. I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy Catholic Church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body and life everlasting. Amen.

Each of the 5 decades start with the Our Father(luke:11) :

Our Father, Who art in heaven; hallowed be Thy name; Thy kingdom come; Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread; and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us, and lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from evil. Amen.

Then Hail Mary’s(based on the interaction between Mary and the Angel in Luke:1)

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee; blessed art thou among women and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen.

followed by the "Holy Mary-an acknowledgement that Mary is the Mother of God(formally declared council of Ephesus, 431) and a petition that she pray for us:

*Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen. *

The Hail mary/Holy Mary sequecne is recited 10 times in each of the 5 deacdes.

The decade ends with the “Glory Be” (1st century.)

Glory be to the Father and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit. As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.

Many of us add the prayer Mary gave us at Fatima

*Oh My Jesus forgive us our sins and *

*save us from the fires of hell, *[LEFT][FONT=Arial]lead all souls to heaven especially those most in need of thy Mercy. [/FONT][/LEFT]

There are 4 sets of 5 “Mysteries” When we pray each decade we meditate on one of the 5 Mysteries for that days rosary. The mysteries are taken from Scripture:

The Mysteries are:

Joyful

**1. The Annunciation **

The angel Gabriel was sent from God to a town of Galilee called Nazareth. And coming to Mary, he said, “Hail, favored one! The Lord is with you.” (Lk 1:26-28)

**2. The Visitation **

Mary set out and traveled to the house of Zechariah and greeted Elizabeth. When Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting, the infant leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth, filled with the Holy Spirit, cried out in a loud voice and said, “Most blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb.” (Lk 1:39-45)

1. The Birth of Our Lord

And Mary gave birth to her firstborn son. She wrapped him in swaddling clothes and laid him in a manger . . . And suddenly there was a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying: “Glory to God in the highest and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests.” (Lk 2:1-20)

**4. The Presentation in the Temple **

Mary and Joseph took the baby Jesus to the Temple to present him to the Lord. At the temple Simeon and Anna came forward, gave thanks to God and spoke about Jesus to all who were present. (Lk 2:22-38)

**5. The Finding of the Child Jesus in the Temple **

The boy Jesus remained behind in Jerusalem, but his parents did not know it. After three days they found him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions. (Lk 2:41-50)

Ther Joyful Mysteries are genrally said on Monadys and Saturdays

Sorrowoful Mysteries

**1. The Agony in the Garden **

Jesus went to a place called Gethsemane to pray. “My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from me; yet, not as I will, but as you will.” (Mt 26:36-46)

**2. The Scourging at the Pillar **

The chief priests with the elders and the scribes held a council. They bound Jesus, led him away, and handed him over to Pilate. Pilate, wishing to satisfy the crowd, had Jesus scourged and handed him over to be crucified. (Mk 15:1-16)

**3. The Crowning with Thorns **

They stripped off his clothes and threw a scarlet military cloak about him. Weaving a crown out of thorns, they placed it on his head, and a reed in his right hand. And kneeling before him, they mocked him, saying, “Hail, King of the Jews!” (Mt 27:27-31)

**4. The Carrying of the Cross **

Jesus, weak from being beaten, was unable to carry His cross to Golgotha alone. Simon, a Cyrenian, helped him. (Mk 15:20-22)

**5. The Crucifixion **

When they came to the place called the Skull, they crucified him and the criminals there, one on his right, the other on his left. Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, they know not what they do.” (Lk 23:33-46)

The Sorrowfulmysteries re generally said in Tesdays and Fridays

Lumious Mysteries

**1. The Baptism in the Jordan **

And a voice came from the heavens, saying, “This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased.” (Mt. 3:17)

**2. The Wedding at Cana **

“Women, how does your concern affect me? My hour has not yet come.” His mother said to the servers, “Do whatever he tells you.” (Jn 2:1-12)

**3. The Proclamation of the Kingdom of God **

“This is the time of fulfillment. The kingdom of God is at hand. Repent, and believe in the gospel.” (Mk 1:15)

**4. The Transfiguration **

While he was praying his face changed in appearance and his clothing became dazzling white. (Lk9:29)

**5. The Institution of the Eucharist **

Before the feast of Passover, Jesus knew that his hour had come to pass from this world to the Father. He loved his own in the world and he loved them to the end. (Jn 13:1)

Lumious Mysteries are said in Thursdays

Glorious Mysteries

**1. The Resurrection **

Mary Magdalene and the other Mary came to see the tomb. An angel appeared and said, “Do not be afraid! I know that you are seeking Jesus the crucified. He is not here, for He has been raised just as He said.” (Mt 28:1-10)

**2. The Ascension of Our Lord **

As Jesus blessed them He parted from them and was taken up to heaven. (Lk 24:44-53)

**3. The Descent of the Holy Spirit **

Jesus came and stood in their midst and said to them, “Peace be with you. Receive the Holy Spirit.” (Jn 14:15-21)

**4. The Assumption of Our Lady into Heaven **

“Finally the Immaculate Virgin, preserved free from all stain of original sin, when the course of her earthly life was finished, was taken up body and soul into heavenly glory.” (from Munificentissimus Deus (1950):DS 3903)

**5. The Coronation of the Blessed Virgin Mary **

“We believe that the Holy Mother of God, the new Eve, Mother of the Church, continues in heaven to exercise her maternal role on behalf of the members of Christ.” (from the Solemn Profession of Faith: Credo of the People of God)

Glotious mysteries are generally said in Wednesdays and Thursdays

Catholics are not required to pray the Rosary

Is that how Jesus taught to pray.

If you think about it, God knows our needs so why pray at all?

The rosary is a meditative prayer; the beads are only to keep track of where you are, since it is such a long prayer.

As has been said, we don’t have to go through Mary to the Father or the Son, but why not ask her to interceed for us. She certainly has more “pull” with her son that the guy sitting next to you in the pew, no? :smiley:

Each decade is preceded by the exact words Jeus taught us to pray. Now i suspect that you yourself have prayed using words other than the Our Father so i dont see what the problem is.

No

If you are a believer in Christ God has imputed His righteousness on them. Therefore when we pray we pray with all the fullness of Christs righteousness.

And when Mary prays she does not?

As a Catholic - who told you that the Bible was the sole rule of Authority and the only place to glean information from? My Bible says that the Church is the final Authority.

If praying repetitiously is wrong - then Jesus was wrong, because he prayed repetitioulsy (Matt. 26:39-44). If you’re referring to Matt. 6:7 - this is explicitly speaking of pagan “babbling” - gibberish, not Christian prayer.

Can you show me the "many" times that Scripture speaks about praying with beads is pagan worship?**

**Finally - God DOES know your needs before you ask. Then WHY pray at all?
*We must humble ourselves before him - not assume that we know his will. the way we get to know his will is THROUGH prayer. **
Read John 17, where Jesus is praying for the unity of his Church. See how many times he asks the Father to keep his followers unified. Was Jesus babbling like the “pagans”*?
I think you know the answer . . .

Yes she does.
Christ did not teach you to pray to Mary, man did.
Again another teaching that the Catholics believe they know better than Christ.

Catholics dont pray to Mary-we ask her to pray for us(I posted the prayer earlier in this thread) So are you suggesting that we should NEVER ask anyone to pray for us?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.