praying in tongues..

Hello!

I recently watched the film “Jesus Camp”, and was caught on the scenes where the people were praying in tongues. This contradicted with my study of St. Padre Pio, who was able to take confessions from people who didn’t speak Italian. These people were able to understand him, though, because of this “Gift of Tongues”. This gift doesn’t seem to be being able to babble in some language unknown to most, if not all, members of the human race. It seems to me that the Gift of Tongues is being able to speak another person’s language, if it is the Will of God. I’ve heard that the “speaking in tongues” as seen in many Penecostal churches is the result of speaking some angelic language, but what is the purpose of speaking in an angelic language to people that can’t understand it?

Myrrh

that’s what i think too. i mean, taking into account that in the days of the New Testament where there was no mass media, speaking in tongues served the purpose of evangelizing people by making believers who did not speak a foreign tongue able to do so by the power of the Holy Spirit in order to communicate the word of God to peoples of a different language. the way it is sometimes done today, it seems almost like babble speak and the people who i’ve actually observed do it do not even have the gift of interpretation (and these are people who profess to be Catholic and well-versed in the Scriptures!). i’m Catholic by faith myself and i do not question the existence or authenticity of the Gift of Tongues. I just can help getting irritated when some people who profess to be Catholic and practicing this gift just seem to bandy about that they speak in tongues without having the in-depth understanding or scriptural knowledge of it! It’s clearly explained in 1 Corinthians14:4-28.

why not get info on the charismatic gifts first from Acts of the Apostles and then from reliable orthodox sources in the Catholic Charismatic Renewal, rather than from popular movies. We discuss this topic at least twice a month and there are several current threads. If you ignore the posts from people who have no experience with the gifts and read the rest, including links, it should help you.

Speaking in toungs is for many reasons and at the time needed.
1: It can be used for general prayer where a person chooses to pray in this tong that is a gift given by God to that person, it is a language satan cannot understand for it is to the spirit of God.
2: It can be used for edification of the church and is a prayer to God in the spirit to ask His anointing on the church.
3: It can ans often is used in healing as mentioed satan cannot understand it so the prayer of healing becomes pure as pure as the intention of the prayer.
4: It can and is definitly used in deliverence by some people.
These are some of the reasons for toungs and it should be used openol as many do quietly iin Mass. It also should beunderstood that it is administered where and when and to whom the Holy Spirit wishes to have it.

God bless
littleone

Hi Myrrh,
This type of prayer language is discussed by St. Paul in 1 Corinthians 14. It says “For anyone who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God. Indeed, no one understands him; he utters mysteries with his spirit.” This is different than the gift that breaks down the barrier of different languages. Thus, there are two different types of ‘tongues’ and both are supported scripturally.

I can tell you from experience that even the person praying in tongues does not know what he/she is uttering.  I received this gift about 4 years ago and for me it is not something I can turn off and on at will as some people apparently can.  From my first experience, I can attest to the fact that I have grown spiritually in leaps and bounds.  I can also tell you that should I never receive this gift again, I would not feel cheated or shortchanged.  I firmly believe that the real gift was not a prayer language, but the humility that came with it that allows me to continue to grow in my faith.

What is the purpose of the gift? I don’t know. Maybe I needed some type of “jump start” that other people don’t need in order to grow in Christ. Maybe the Spirit prayed something that my physical self wasn’t able to comprehend.

Was my gift used in a way that would build up the church?  Indirectly, yes.  Because of my personal growth I've been able to help others grow in Christ, so yes, I believe, the gift has been used properly.

Hope that helps a little!

I agree with you. I have an aunt who is a very religious person. An awesome human being. She speaks in tongues often. There have been times that we would pray together and she would start speaking in tongues. She certainly wasn’t faking. It was truly awesome. I can’t find words to explain it. She told me once that most of the time she doesn’t even know what she is saying.
I wish I had this gift. :slight_smile:

Isn’t it funny how God works? I never wished for this gift and in fact didn’t believe it existed. So why He blessed me with it only He knows!

St. Paul refers to this as the “least of the gifts”. I bet you possess some of the greater ones!:thumbsup:

I think so.

Last night, I heard on radio about someone or some praying … asking for the gift of “Mercy” (not the kind of charismatic gifts) in order to forgive others.

Forgiving others is sometime very difficult.

My mum and aunty both have the gift of speaking in tongues too, i think it is awesome, and if God wants to shower me with that gift one day - i will accept it willingly and joyfully. :smiley:

The beautiful priest who married us - also has this gift… i think it is an awesome thing to have, and people shouldn’t knock what they don’t comprehend. I know as i was one that didn’t ‘knock’ it, but thought OMG! What’s happened to my Church since i left it… (wasn’t practicing full time, became a submarine Catholic - come back up to the surface (Church) when i was in trouble and needed prayers, and at Easter, Christmas etc… always prayed at home etc… just not the Church bit)

I was intrigued and not turned off by it and it paid off for me. Watching people with this gift - helped bring me back to my faith and Church wholly. :smiley:

I wish whatever the gift that one has been given by God should be used correctly.

At my own parish, I go to Praise and Worship group. The people there are nice and show their love for one another.

At another parish, I was trying to stay away for 6 months…and lately I found out … how divisions have been created due to the same gift - praying in tongue.

I am very disappointed and sad how things are happening at this parish. I am praying for them to understand each other.

I am not going to details much but to say that whatever gift you have - your obedience to the Church, your loving to others are far more important than this gift. At this parish, divisions are caused due to disobedience - some with the gift would point at others for having “evil spirits” in them; some would say “God tell me this and you all have to listen”…etc …Some others say “I wouldn’t need any priest to help my group because Evil can lure this priest into doing bad things and thus break up our group…” :eek:

The things that one should be attracted to are how people love each others and how they follow the Teaching of Christ.

I can see how this gift would cause divisions and it makes me really sad. It obviously caused divisions in Corinth also, which was the whole reason Paul was addressing the issue.

It seems like people always use differences as a cause of division. Will we never learn?

I just came home from 8am Sunday Mass and today is Pentacost Sunday.

‘The Spirit of the Lord fills the whole world. It holds all things together and knows every word spoken by man, Alleluia.’

I look at it like this… I do not have the gift, but truly believe that it is bestowed upon a person by the Holy Spirit. Now this can only be a good thing… so just because i cannot understand what they are saying - i believe they are praising Jesus, and as long as HE understands - that’s good enough for me.

I love everybody and pray that we do not discriminate within our own faith - just because it is hard to comprehend or believe. I love my Catholic faith and would like unity within it.

I don’t think the ‘gift’ is the problem, i think the ‘person’ is the problem. I have seen many Catholics who go to their regular prayer meetings - ok, they go there, they pray, but some have to be so important and be THE ‘leader’ of the prayer group…and turn against members of their own group… tsk tsk tsk . :o :frowning: They are there more for ‘themselves’ than for Jesus. :o :frowning: This doesn’t happen in the** majority **of prayer meetings i would hope… but know it has happened where i live… and not just once or twice… Pride gets in the way…

I had to be open and give myself to God to comprehend others talking in tongues and it didn’t happen overnight… You should have seen my face when i attended my first Charismatic Mass… :eek: and heard them talking in tongues… And to hear my own mother? What a spinout!!! An amazing one at that… 10 years later :thumbsup: :smiley: I just don’t go enough… :frowning:

I feel that i am blessed to have a mother who reached out to God in such a way… and he answered her by allowing the Holy Spirit to bestow such a gift upon her. She is truly blessed and no-one better say anything about my Mama! She is my guiding light…

Shalom and peace to you this Pentacost Sunday.

You see - for some cases, it is the other way around - it is because some of the people having the gift think that they know better than the others. That is the sad part that cause divisions in two parishes that I have gone to.

To be honest, at the moment, some people believe that I have “bad spirits” …or you can say some sort of evil spirits in me. At my mother’s parish, the pastor warned people about being careful and discern their gift, they in return consider the pastor being “blinded” by Evils. :frowning:

This is a huge problem in parishes where there is lack of council and obedience.

Reading the Diary of St. Faustina, one can learn a lot about how obedience to his/her pastor can be very pleasing to God.

1312 - (Jesus said to St. Faustina) …My daughter, the blessings of the poor who bless Me as they leave this gate have reached my ears. And your compassion, within the bounds of obedience, has pleased Me, and this is why I cam down from My throne - to taste fruits of your mercy. (Jesus came as a homeless man, and St. Faustina helped him).

Water,

I must wonder, is it that these faithful people merely have big egos?

I will pray for you and for what you are enduring and that you may have God’s peace within you… Here are 2 prayers from my book for Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament “I the Lord Am With You Always.”

Receiving Holy Communion is such a gift for us…

Prayer of Petition

Cleanse my heart, O Holy Spirit, by this heavenly food, wherein Jesus gives me Himself. Strengthen my faith that i may see Jesus in the Sacrament of His Body and Blood.

I have often to go my may through darkness and many temptations, but Thou art my light and my strength.

In Thee I trust; by Thy grace I can do all things that Jesus wishes me to do. Be ever in my soul as the dew of the night.

With utter trust i rest on Thee and believe the testimony which Thou givest. Set up more and more Thy kingdom in my soul.

St Thomas Aquinas

A Prayer of Thanksgiving and Petition

I render thanks to Thee, O Lord, Holy Father, Everlasting God, Who has condescended, not for any merits of mine, but of Thy great mercy only, to feed me a sinner, Thine unworthy servant, with the precious Body and Blood of Thy Son, our Lord Jesus Christ; and I pray that this Holy Communion may not be for my judgement and condemnation, but for my pardon and salvation.

Let it be unto me an armour of faith and a shield of good purpose, a riddance of all vices, and a rooting out of all evil desires; an increase of love and patience, of humility and obedience, and of all virtues; a firm defence against the wiles of all my enemies, visible and invisible; a perfect quieting of all my evil impulses, fleshly and spiritual; a cleaving unto Thee, the one true God; and a blessed consummation of my end when Thou dost call.

And i pray that Thou wouldst bring me, a sinner, to that unspeakable Feast where Thou, with Thy Son and Thy Holy Spirit, are to Thy holy ones true light, fulness and blessedness, everlasting joy and perfect happiness. Through the same Christ our Lord.

St Thomas Aquinas

Do they say that because you can’t speak in tongues at will and refuse to fake it?

I ask because my son once went to a Pentecostal service and when he couldn’t speak in tongues, they told him he must have hate in his heart. It really upset him.

Water, one only has to read the posts you make on these forums to realize that the Holy Spirit truly lives in and works through you. I don’t know you personally but sense that you are a very holy person. You are always very humble, very kind and always striving for peace amongst the posters here.

I wouldn’t worry too much about the comments made by these people. Comments that compare and divide God’s people can’t possibly come from God.

May God’s peace continue to be with you.

I don’t really know where I stand on this issue. I have a sister who left the catholic church and now speaks in tongues. I’ve seen what makes people speak in tongues. A preacher puts his hands on them and says a prayer and then they speak in tongues. I really don’t know.

Thank you, Tweety, for the great prayer. Thank you, Deidre, for your encouragement. I think the best way for me is to not go much into details as I had mentioned on previous post. I just wanted to get my comment out the forums that if we have gifts but no love, your gifts might not become fruitful in whatever we do.

Basically, it is like that, but it doesn’t happen right on the spot. Later, some will speak in tongue, some would never. When one asks for certain gift, whichever gifts the Holy Spirit grants to you, you will have.

Water,

My absolute pleasure! You are not evil… Those 2 prayers are some of my favourites from my book. This little crimson book “I The Lord Am With You Always” has been a saving grace for me… It is an Australian publication. They have a new edition which i am just dying to get my hands on… Even if you don’t go for Adoration of The Blessed Sacrament - the prayers are inspiring… before Holy Communion, after Holy Communion… Just beautiful!!! Another favourite…

Prayer For Yourself

O Jesus, wash away my sins with Your Precious Blood.

O Jesus, the struggle against temptation is not yet finished. My Jesus, when temptation comes near me, make me strong against it. In the moment of temptation may I always say,* “Jesus, mercy!” “Mary, help!”*

O Jesus, may I lead a good life! May i die a happy death. May I receive You before I die. May i say when I am dying, “Jesus, Mary, Joseph, I give you my heart and my soul.”

Prayer For Others

O Jesus, have mercy on Your Holy Church; take care of it. O Jesus, have pity on poor sinners, and save them from hell. O Jesus, bless my father, mother, my brothers and sisters, and all I ought to pray for, as Your kind Heart knows how to bless them.

O Jesus, have pity on the poor souls burning in the flames of Purgatory, and give them eternal rest.

Oh, I will print it out the prayers -they are great prayers. I normally go to the Adoration on every Friday before going to work.

Thanks again, Tweety.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.