Praying Matins and Lauds together

When Lauds immediately follows Matins, is it customary to repeat the “Deus in adjutorum”?

I thought when you pray Matins you start with the Invitory (I could be spelling that wrong), in which case you don’t say “Deus in adjutorum”.

Matins begins with:
V. Domine labia mea aperies.
R. Et os meum annuntiabit laudem tuam.

Followed by:
V. Deus in adjutorium meum intende.
R. Domine ad adjuvandum me festina.
Gloria patri…

Lauds begins:
V. Deus in adjutorium meum intende.
R. Domine ad adjuvandum me festina.
Gloria patri…

It seems redundant to me to say the ‘Deum in adjutorium’, a second time. Why not just go right into the antiphon of the first psalm? Maybe that’s how it ought to be done?

I should mention that I am using the 1961 edition of the Little Office of the BVM, not the Liturgy of the Hours.

I can’t imagine that it would be too different from the rubrics for the LOTH, but I’ll include this just in case it helps. To be honest, I don’t know how to pray the Little Office, so this may not help at all.

http://www.divinumofficium.com/cgi-bin/horas/officium.pl

Thanks, that’s perfect Fauken!

Learning The New Breviary by Bernard A. Hausmann, S.J., 1961 http://www.divinumofficium.com/www/horas/Help/Rubrics/newbrev.pdf

was exactly the kind of book I’ve been looking for. The answer is that yes, the “Deus in audjutorium” IS said in Lauds when Matins and Lauds are said together.

The conclusion to Matins is omitted.

Many thanks. :slight_smile:

In the current LOTH, if you join what Matins has become (the Office of Readings) to Lauds, you omit both the conclusion of Matins, and the opening verse of the LOTH. Just a head’s up for those who use the current LOTH.

After I finish last Matins reading I skip Collect etc. And launch into Deus adiutorium… for the Lauds
Admittedly I’m pretty new to this though (just started saying LOTH around the time of All Saints 2018).

The previous posters are correct. Try to think of it this way: The “Deus in adiutorium” is said immediately before the psalm section (or the hymn+psalm) section. Just look at how late “Deus in adiutorium” shows in the Compline. Therefore, regardless of having said it once before, since you’ve just had the readings section of Matins, it seems proper to ask God to lead you in prayer once again. I don’t know if this is why it is so, but it is how I figure it.
God bless!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.