Praying over my babies

Can anybody suggest some good prayers to say over my 4-month-old twins and night and in the morning? I’m a new Catholic, currently in RCIA. I remember when I was very young, my babysitter’s husband would make the sign of the Cross over each of their 5 kids every morning with a short blessing as they walked out the door for school. They would tell me that their dad would also pray over each of them every night before they went to bed. I liked the idea then, and I love it now, as a new Catholic and father.

A technical question: should I be making the sign of the Cross over them when I pray over them?

Thanks for all your help.

Chris

The angel of God is a wonderful prayer for little children. Certainly bless them always. I will never forget giving my dad a kiss every night at bed time and he would bless us by tracing the sign of the cross on our forehead.

(But any vocal prayer from your heart to Jesus for them is always good also)

" I always have said “Jesus bless you through the night and wake you with the morning light”

my parents always said to me "Matthew, Mark, Luke & John, bless the bed that (insert name of child) lays on. :smiley:

[quote=kamz]" I always have said “Jesus bless you through the night and wake you with the morning light”

my parents always said to me "Matthew, Mark, Luke & John, bless the bed that (insert name of child) lays on. :smiley:
[/quote]

:love: That is such a sweet and simple prayer.

I’ve always traced a cross on my childrens forehead and said" Father, keep … safe through the night and help him/her come to know and love you at an early age".

I like these two. They are both old Irish prayers.

At Night

Sleep, my babe, lie still and slumber,
All through the night
Guardian angels God will lend thee,
All through the night
Soft and drowsy hours are creeping,
Hill and vale in slumber sleeping,
Mother dear her watch is keeping,
All through the night
God is here, you’ll not be lonely,
All through the night
’Tis not I who guards thee only,
All through the night
Night’s dark shades will soon be over,
Still my watchful care shall hover,
God with me His watch is keeping,
All through the night

and in the morning

Dearest Father in Heaven,
Bless this child and bless this day
Of new beginnings.
Smile upon this child
And surround this child, Lord,
With the soft mantle of your love.
Teach this child to follow in your footsteps,
And to live life in the ways of
Love, faith, hope and charity

Gearoidin

My husband and I bless each of our children every night before bed (and my husband does before he leaves for work in the a.m.) with a sign of the cross on their forehead and one on their heart saying, “God bless you and God be with you, may the Holy Trinity and Blessed Virgin Mary be in your heart.”

[quote=kamz]" I always have said “Jesus bless you through the night and wake you with the morning light”

[/quote]

Those are beautiful. :slight_smile:

I always pray over my son and wife just before going to sleep and before leaving for work.

Most times I do not say any specific prayer but generally what I pray is this:

I first annoint myself and them with blessed oil by drawing the sign of the Cross on the forehead.

I then claim the blood of Jesus on them and surrender them into His loving care. I ask the Lord to protect them from all harm and especially from all attacks of the occoult and evil. I ask the Lord to pour out His Holy Spirit on them amd will them with Love, wisdom and strength.
Then I also ask our Mother Mary to pray for them and cover them with her blue mantle and be their constant companion and guide. Sometimes I also ask their guardian angel to stand guard over them.
There I times when I just lay my hands on them and pray the Our Father and Hail Mary.

While growing up, my dad always made the Sign of the Cross on our foreheads. I am not sure of the prayer he used. I will have to ask him. I know dad does this with his grandchildren whenever he can. Also, every New Year, he does a family blessing.

When my little one was born, I started doing the same. While looking over her in her crib I would say, “Lord, guide, bless and protect us. Be with my little girl.” and I do the Sign of the Cross on her forehead.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.