praying rosary during mass?

I heard from someone that it is okay to pray the rosary during mass, but that seems strange to me. The rosary is good to pray, of course, but while you’re in mass shouldn’t you be concentrating on what’s going on?

I agree with you. Praying rosary is very good, but I don’t think that we must do during the Mass.

I wouldn’t pray the Rosary during mass, either, but I think it’s perfectly OK to arrive at the church early, and pray the Rosary before Mass starts.

Crazy Internet Junkie Society
****Carrier of the Angelic Sparkles Sprinkle Bag

The Mass stands alone as the ultimate prayer, so nothing, not even the rosary, is to be done during it.

I know that back in the day (pre-Vatican II), old ladies would pray the rosary during Mass. But even then, the practice wasn’t right.

[quote=mozier]The Mass stands alone as the ultimate prayer, so nothing, not even the rosary, is to be done during it.

I know that back in the day (pre-Vatican II), old ladies would pray the rosary during Mass. But even then, the practice wasn’t right.
[/quote]

Yes, the practice of praying the Rosary during Mass sprang from people not understanding the Mass in Latin (although missals were available, so there really was no excuse, except for those who were illiterate). And, some people got more out of the Mass by praying a devotion they loved and understood. But, as mozier has cited, it was never supposed to be prayed during Mass.

Watch the “Ask the Apologist” forum as I just emailed this question in since we’ve discussed it so many times out here. There are ranges of opinions, lets see what they say, if they choose to answer it.

My personal opinion is to give Mass time to Jesus and time before or after Mass to the Blessed Mother. I’m sure she treasures it so much more when we focus our full attention on God during the Mass and on her fully, outside of Mass.

I go back to the time before Vatican II and I really don’t remember “old ladies” praying the Rosary in any great numbers. I do remember people like my grandmother who held her rosary along with her missal. I did see her occasionally praying the Rosary if Father’s sermon was particularly boring a given Sunday. But overall, even though she was praying the Mass, she felt more comfortable or holy holding a Rosary even though she wasn’t praying the Rosary.

I don’t recall anyone saying the rosary during mass.

Read this thread. forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=58422
Thanks Lux_et_Veritas.

matt

I’ve been on retreat to Clear Creek Monastery in Oklahoma. (They celebrate a Benedictine version of the Tridentine Mass, a so-called “Benedictine Rite”.)

Anywho, in the morning, after Matins and Lauds, all but one priest-monk celebrates Private Mass simultaneously, each at one of the various side altars.

Later, Terce is celebrated along with the Solemn High conventual Mass, at which one priest celebrates and the rest chant.

While I was on retreat, I would assist at Mass twice a day, and Commune both times. At the Private Mass(es) I would pray my rosary (pausing at the Consecration), and then at the Conventual Mass I would follow along with my Missal.

I found my assistance at the Private Mass(es) to be very fruitful, and prayerful, even though I was not following along with the Mass-texts. Though assisting with a Missal might objectively be a more fruitful way to participate, subjectively one might find themselves better disposed to pray and receive Communion by praying the rosary instead.

I don’t think any of the applies to the Missa Normativa, unless celebrated privately. I’d find it very difficult to pray the rosary with everyone around me talking and giving responses.

Or eating cheerios and drinking from water bottles for that matter . . .

Or playing with their fire engines and X-Men action figures . . .

Oh, and the clowns, don’t forget the clowns . . . and balloons . . .

Ah, Hell! The Nervous Ordo’s hard to follow along when I’m not praying the rosary. Imagine if I even tried . . .

[quote=twin2jason]I heard from someone that it is okay to pray the rosary during mass, but that seems strange to me. The rosary is good to pray, of course, but while you’re in mass shouldn’t you be concentrating on what’s going on?
[/quote]

I’ve been told that you aren’t supposed to…but since I already have my beads in my hands from praying the Rosary before Mass …just keep them there for when my pastor gives one of his awful homilies on The Priest Abuse Scandal…:whistle: Always put them away after that…

You should actively participate in the mass, prayers, singing, etc. You can’t participate with the congregation if you are saying the rosary by yourself.

Say the rosary before or after the mass. Celebrate the mass with your fellow parishoners.

From Pope Pius XII’s Mediator Dei: On the Sacred Liturgy:

1. Many of the faithful are unable to use the Roman missal even though it is written in the vernacular; nor are all capable of understanding correctly the liturgical rites and formulas. So varied and diverse are men’s talents and characters that it is impossible for all to be moved and attracted to the same extent by community prayers, hymns and liturgical services. Moreover, the needs and inclinations of all are not the same, nor are they always constant in the same individual. Who, then, would say, on account of such a prejudice, that all these Christians cannot participate in the Mass nor share its fruits? On the contrary, they can adopt some other method which proves easier for certain people; for instance, they can lovingly meditate on the mysteries of Jesus Christ or perform other exercises of piety or recite prayers which, though they differ from the sacred rites, are still essentially in harmony with them.

Until I hear otherwise from Rome, this is the final word on the subject.

As Catholics, we need to think with the mind of the Church, and not impose our own opinions by making absolute statements that contradict the piety of our fellow Catholic brethren.

The quote from Pius XII is a tad old but it, in my opinion, reflected the need for the Liturgical Reform that was addressed by Vat II. The Liturgy by its nature requires active and intellegent (in the sense of particpating and know why and how we are participating)participation of all the members of the community. This is why I believe that the norm should be no rosary during the Mass, it’s a distraction to the active participation in the Liturgy. However, I can see from Charity, the toleration of those who were brought up in the Church prior to the Liturgical Reforms brought about by Vat II,to continue to pray their rosary during Mass.

[quote=twin2jason]I heard from someone that it is okay to pray the rosary during mass, but that seems strange to me. The rosary is good to pray, of course, but while you’re in mass shouldn’t you be concentrating on what’s going on?
[/quote]

Exactly - the Mass is the shared sacrifice of the Church gathered together to worship the God and Father of all

The rosary, is a private devotion, for the group or the individual.

So they shouldn’t be mixed ##

[quote=mozier]The Mass stands alone as the ultimate prayer, so nothing, not even the rosary, is to be done during it.

[/quote]

Remember, what St Pius X said… “do not pray at the Mass, Pray the Mass”

[/quote]

The Mass and the rosary as stated are two very different forms of prayer. The rosary should be said before or after Mass if one wants to say it at the church. I do remember praying the rosary during sermons that were awful now I just pray the Come Holy Spirit prayer before the sermon begins and leave the rest to the Holy Spirit.

:rotfl:

I remember those days!
But truly, a well done reverent NO is beautiful as well.
I didn’t realize how much I love it until we attended a funeral mass, by chance because it was First Friday.
The whole thing took my breath away and all I could think was, “What a send off!!”

Look out for a good EWTN type Holy Mass and I think you will like it better.

[quote=Della]Yes, the practice of praying the Rosary during Mass sprang from people not understanding the Mass in Latin (although missals were available, so there really was no excuse, except for those who were illiterate). And, some people got more out of the Mass by praying a devotion they loved and understood. But, as mozier has cited, it was never supposed to be prayed during Mass.
[/quote]

If you read the 1962 Missal by Fr. Lasance you will find that saying the Rosary during Mass was not discouraged (Page 11). In fact any mental prayer was encouraged if you were not following the prayers of the Mass. You need to remember that the only person needed to say the Mass is the priest. You probably get some more graces if you say it along with him but the congregation is not really necessary. You probably could say the rosary and still follow the Mass if you have gone enough times. St. Padre Pio said something like 30 a day. He had to be doing other things while saying some of those. When saying the Rosary you reflect on the Mysteries. So when saying the Rosary during Mass why not reflect on the Passion of Christ since the Mass is Calvary re-presented.

Pius XII’s words on the subject are the official line, unless someone can produce documentation to the contrary.

Personal opinions don’t count.

The rule of the Church, as legislated by Pius XII, is that it is most desirable to follow along with the Missal, but for some (many?) people, and in certain circumstances, there is great fruit even in praying one’s private devotions.

I admit that this does seem to be a bit out of place in a Sung or Solemn Mass; but is assisting at a “Private” Mass I don’t think it’s inappropriate at all.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.