...Praying Rosary Under Mortal Sin

Is it acceptable to be able to pray the Rosary under mortal sin? Will God still hear our prayer through the Holy Rosary if we are under mortal sin?

:confused::confused::confused:

:blessyou:

God will *always *hear our prayers. If we are in mortal sin, all the more reason to pray them!

God will hear your prayers, but it would probably be wise to get to confession. Honestly, if you’re truly devoted to Our Lady, you will inevitably grow in holiness.

Hey Th0t!

Actually, when I find that I have committed mortal sin and failed to go to confession that day, I make sure that I pray to Mama Mary through the rosary. It seems that the devil really hates that, because it’s really difficult to getting starting on it those days!

I recommend reading St. Louis de Montfort’s writings on her, either “True Devotion to Mary” or “The Secret of the Rosary.” If you read it asking guidance from the H.S. (Holy Spirit) you will be just blown away by Mama Mary and her amazing awesomeness. I know I was.!

If the first time it doesn’t capture your attention, save it for another day. They are incredibly important books to read and you’ll find your way to it. De Montfort is on his way to becoming a doctor of the Church, if that’s any indication of how vital his writings are. :wink:

Are there any Church docs to share with someone with this question? In reference to the power of prayer in such a state?

From the Secret of the Rosary by St. Louis De Montfort:
The sinner who begins to pray the rosary will give up one or the other, the rosary or his sins.

The rosary has been called the scourge of Satan. The sinner who prays the rosary is no longer under his control. This means he has begun the conversion process.
Remember that Christ calls sinners to himself that they might be forgiven and healed.

And I can testify that the Holy Rosary is a powerful prayer tool. Though I have just begun to pray it a couple of times a week, it helps me to keep my head up through the bad times.

Thank you all for ur comments :slight_smile:

May God
:blessyou:
All!

Well, it is surely not unacceptable to pray under any circumstances.

We cannot know with certainty if anyone (including ourselves) is in a state of mortal sin (we can be “pretty sure” but never certain).

Jesus heard (and answered) the prayer of the “good thief” on the cross, even though this man was probably in a state of mortal sin.

[LIST]
*]

*]

*]

[/LIST]
Your comments seem to conflict with the teachings of the Bible …[LIST]*]James 5:16 - " … The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much … "

*]Isaiah 59:2 - “ … But your iniquities have made a separation between you and your God, and your sins have hidden His face from you so that He does not hear … ”

*]Proverbs 15:29 - “ … The LORD is far from the wicked, but He hears the prayer of the righteous … ”

*]Psalm 66:18 - “ … If I regard wickedness in my heart, the Lord will not hear … ”

*]1 Peter 3:11 - “ … Let him turn away from evil and do good; let him seek peace and pursue it. For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous, and His ears are open to their prayers; but the face of the Lord is against those who do evil … ”

*]John 9:31 - “ … Now we know that God heareth not sinners: but if any man be a worshipper of God, and doeth his will, him he heareth … ”[/LIST]

Prayers of repentance are always heard. Sometimes people cannot physically go to confession, but they can still make an act of contrition (a prayer) and try to avoid sinning again. I am sure sincere prayers for your own well-being or for others are also heard. You cannot grow in sanctifying grace (holiness) while in a state of mortal sin, however.

A big mistake I think people often make after doing mortal sins is giving up until they can get to confession. People get the attitude “I’ve already done this, so why not do that now”, and they indulge themselves.

Prayer is a raising of our hearts and minds to God. If we begin with praise and acknowledge our sins, our prayers are heard. Like the father in the story of the prodigal son, He will run to meet us.
What is not heard is mere lip service with no intention of repenting of the sin in our lives.

Sooooooooooooo out of context its not even funny:compcoff:

[list]
*]

*]

[/list]
There is a difference between trying to repent of our sins and reconcile ourselves to God and praying while in a state of mortal sin.

How so? Please explain.

The opening post asks if God will hear our prayers if we are in a state of mortal sin. The scripture passages that I quoted address THAT VERY ISSUE stating that God does not hear the prayers of sinners.

Pretty plain to anyone who has basic comprehension that it is very much on target.

“Let the wicked forsake his [own] way, and the unrighteous man his [own] thoughts; let him return to the Lord, and He will have mercy on him; and to our God, for He will abundantly pardon” (Isa. 55:6-7).

You are right that the sinner needs to take the steps necessary to accept the forgiveness of God. This is the sacrament of Reconciliation. But he is *already *forgiven, washed by the blood of the Lamb.

Why not run fast as possible to Jesus in the confessional, though? But, by all means, pray on the way there. :slight_smile:

It is said that no prayer is every wasted.
If a soul is in a state of sin and is asking for favors or help in temporal matters God will not answer these prayers because one is not in a “right relationship” or friendship with God. This is like a student insulting and mocking his High School teacher in front of the whole class and then after class asking the teacher if he can get excused from taking the final exam after everyone has left for the day. One can’t have a dual relationship - being an enemy of God and asking Him for favors.

On the other hand God would know that such a person was really acknowledging that God is omniscient in asking Him for help and would likely give such a person additional “Actual Grace” to lead him to repentance and seek full reconciliation - either by sacramental confession or by means of perfect contrition or perhaps lead them to somone who is capable of reaching them spiritually and getting them on the correct path back to God.

Thus saying the rosary would likely result in a reawakening to the sinfulness of one’s soul and facilitate and draw out a genuine move toward reconciliation and repentance.

But God is not mocked and will not waste precious grace on anyone who approaches him insincerely either. It is always a good idea to first examine one’s conscience and say an act of contrition or the Miserere (Psalm 50) before setting down to do a lot of prayer if one has not been to confession in over a month. This will at least give a guarantee of forgivness of any residual venial sins and if mortal sins are present God may grant the grace to permit a perfect act of contrition. as well (but Catholics must go to confession as soon as possible if there are any).

James

I agree. Prayer begins the process. It is saying that I need God’s help to restore the relationship that has been severed.
Insincere prayer with the intention of staying in a state of mortal sin is one thing. Saying I need help to climb out of this pit in which I have fallen is another.
If we could save ourselves, there would have been no need for the Cross.
We see a doctor while we are still sick or injured, not after we have already been healed.

If God does not hear prayer, then why bother?

Again, returning to the Secret of the Rosary, one of De Montfort’s contentions is that praying the rosary will bring the sinner to repentance, to a choice between sin and continuing to pray the rosary.

Are you going to take De Montfort’s opinion over the infallible Word of God?

Sir Knight, maybe the kind of prayer we are all talking about is causing confusion…

I was always taught that prayer is plainly, sincere communication with God. Maybe you are thinking only of petitioning to God for a certain favor. I doubt that if someone in the state of mortal sin is praying to God to pass his test tomorrow morning without repenting of his sin will have his prayer “heard” or granted (but then again, you never know).

But, if the sinner prays to God in petition, asking for forgiveness and the grace of repentance… wouldn’t God hear that? “Say to them: As I live, saith the Lord God, I desire not the death of the wicked, but that the wicked turn from his way, and live. Turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways: and why will you die, O house of Israel?” (Ezekiel 33:11) And isn’t that a just act, even though the man be a sinner? “For a just man shall fall seven times and shall rise again: but the wicked shall fall down into evil.” (Proverbs 24:16)

A person in mortal sin isn’t counted as wicked unless he/she refuses to repent.

Otherwise, how in the world would a person be able to turn away from sin if they can’t even start on the right path through prayer?

And is not praying the rosary relying on the prayer of the just, not to mention, the most just, most holy, of them all after God Himself, Mama Mary? Don’t we ask Mary to pray FOR us sinners, now and at the hour of our death? This is precisely why de Montfort promoted praying the rosary by all souls desiring holiness, because in doing so, you depend not on the impure prayers of the sinner but on the pure and ever-loved prayer of the most holy Mother of God, whose prayers God never denies.

A sinner who is seeking to return to God, will not be turned away. However, a person in mortal sin who does not seek repentance will not have their prayers heard. That is supported by scripture in several places that I have referenced above. If anyone disagrees, I would like to see a scripture passage to support it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.