Praying someone into heaven

So no amount of prayer can sway God’s just and eternal judgement of a soul. You can’t just pray for someone’s salvation because it is up to that person.
If that is so, then why do people pray to Mary to receive help getting into heaven? No amount of prayer can sway God on something so final as judgement?

I don’t really understand how Mary works and if us Catholics are right to rely on her and not Jesus alone for salvation.

I believe that Mary can help me with prayer to the Father until I am dead. At that point I stand before Him, my life is judged and I will either go to Heaven, Purgatory of Hell. This judgement can not be changed at this point. Prayers can help me move from purgatory to heaven. I hope this helps you.

4 Likes

That’s what I was assuming. Thank you

Says who? Provide proof.
Catholics believe firmly that we can pray for God to change the hearts of people on earth, and we can pray for those in Purgatory to reach heaven sooner. Also, please look into the case of Pope Gregory and Trajan.

1 Like

“Pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death.” Is that we remain free from sin and have final penitence at our death.

2 Likes

I always think about the healing of the paralytic in Luke 5 17 ff.

Jesus says

19 When they could not find a way to do this because of the crowd, they went up on the roof and lowered him on his mat through the tiles into the middle of the crowd, right in front of Jesus.

20 When Jesus saw their faith, he said, “Friend, your sins are forgiven.”

I always find this passage of scripture most interesting. because Jesus says “When Jesus saw THEIR faith” the ones that brought the paralytic to him. It was THEIR faith that induced Jesus to say Your sins are forgiven. to the paralytic.

That makes believe prayer can move God to change the life of someone who is praying for them.

The Ultimate decision of course is God’s.

Praying to Mary simply asks Mary to “talk to God’” about the issue you are talking about.

God bless.

2 Likes

2 Likes

That’s not true.

2 Likes

If we trust ourselves to Mary, whatever we are attached to that is evil in this world will let us go (or we will let it go) and she will wrap us in her mantle and lead us to Jesus, the good Shepherd who loves us without end…

1 Like

WOW! I never thought about that before, but I will now–Thanks! (The friends of the paralytic…!)

Repeated what was already said…

God wants us to seek the means of salvation from Him for ourselves and others. “Ask, and it shall be given you: seek, and you shall find” (Matt. 7:7) and “pray one for another, that you may be saved” (James 5:16). It is true that a person can put up a positive impediment by obstinately resisting the grace of repentance, but for those who do not, prayer is helpful.

The following passage is on point. While sometimes interpreted as speaking about mortal and venial sins, more often the sin unto death is interpreted as describing those whose sin has been committed with a deliberately irrepentant and hardened heart (the positive impediment I mentioned above). Final, definitive impenitence cannot be forgiven (cf. Matt. 12:31). Our prayer will not change God’s judgment in that regard. Notice, we should pray for others that they may be given eternal life from God and God will grant it:

1 John 5:[14] And this is the confidence which we have towards him: That, whatsoever we shall ask according to his will, he heareth us. [15] And we know that he heareth us whatsoever we ask: we know that we have the petitions which we request of him. [16] He that knoweth his brother to sin a sin which is not to death, let him ask, and life shall be given to him, who sinneth not to death. There is a sin unto death: for that I say not that any man ask.

I really meant more when a person is already dead, their fate is sealed.

I don’t understand how prayer works honestly

Me neither.

If someone had been judged to Hell, prayer will not get them to Heaven. Prayers in this life, though, can still move us, and prayers for those who are saved but are still in Purgatory can help them.

3 Likes

What I was imagining though, is something during the judgement where prayers are coming in and God would be like “Look at all these people that have faith in Me and love you.”

Also, I think I remember watching a video about a priest’s near death experience and how he was saved by Mary.

That’s what praying for others includes, that God will help them get to heaven. Of course, it’s a person’s free will that determines their destiny, but we can pray for them , and should. since God helps us to always improve, and Mary intercedes for us, then praying for others is necessary.

Mary is our “co-redemtrix”. The Mother of God, and the Mother of the Church, which is us. “To Jesus through Mary”.

1 Like

Even then, it’s possible for a “deathbed conversion”.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.