Praying that Mary provide comfort?

When a Catholic prays *to Mary and asks Mary to *provide comfort to another person, how is that Christian?

I mean, shouldn’t a Christian pray to God and ask Him to comfort another person? I am very confused about this concept.

BTW, I saw the prayer right here on CAF, today.

Have you ever asked someone to pray for you? with you to pray for another person? That is, as far as I see, the same.

So you’ve never asked your biological parents or siblings for comfort or help? How about your friends? St Paul in his letters constantly requests prayers from those to whom he writes, and asks them to pray for each other too.

If, as Christ assures us, God is God of the living, not the dead, and if, as He also assures us, those living include Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, then why cannot I ask prayers or help of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob as those around them did, surely, when they were physically alive? And if them, why not ANYONE who I believe is still and eternally alive in Christ?

It comes down to truly believing Christ’s words to Martha that those who believe in Him will NEVER die. If they are alive, they can and should pray for us and we can and should ask for their prayers as St Paul urges us to do.

Mary is a vessal to her beloved son Jesus. As the Lord Jesus was able to draw life from His mother in the womb so too she draws us to her son; Mary is our life-line to Jesus who is the giver of etenal life.

I thought the Holy Spirit was the lifeline to Jesus and Jesus the lifeline to God.

Does anyone ever pray to the Holy Spirit?

John 14:16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;

Good question, Abe.

Pray: Come, Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of Your faithful, and enkindle in them the fire of Your love. Send forth Your Spirit, and they shall be created,and You shall renew the face of the earth.

Let us pray.

O God, Who by the light of the Holy Spirit, did instruct the hearts of Your faithful, grant that by that same Holy Spirit, we may be truly wise and ever rejoice in His consolation, through Christ our Lord. Amen.

Yes, we pray to the Holy Spirit, and all of the Holy Trinity.

Mik

Do you have to go through Mary to get to Jesus?

The doctrine of the Assumption means that Mary’s body was taken to heaven (whether this happened while she was alive or after she died isn’t specified) and that she now lives in her resurrected body. She is in heaven with God, as we all hope to be eventually. She isn’t God, isn’t part of the Trinity, etc., etc.

St. Therese of Lisieux said she would spend her heaven doing good on earth. Apparently God has permitted this, since many people who pray for her intercession are helped. Surely, Jesus would allow this pleasure to his mother. As we are all part of Christ’s body, and Mary is his mother, so she is also the mother of the church. She was with the apostles and took an interest in them. It makes perfect sense to me, that if I turn to her as my mother, she will help me with her prayers and that God would permit her even to help me more directly.

I think of when I was little and my brother had a birthday. My mother would help me make a present for him or go with me to buy something for him. She knew it would make me happy to give it to him. I think that sometimes God lets Mary and the saints help us because they like to do it.

But we don’t pray to Mary or the saints instead of praying to God or because we are afraid to approach God. Our ultimate goal is union with God; we only have the communion of saints because we are all united to Him.

No.

But Jesus came through Mary to get to us!

I often pray to the Holy Spirit because He is always with since my baptism and empowers me to live according to His(God’s) will.

Consider the following verse…

Matthew 18:20 - Where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

Now, does it matter if the “two or three” are not of the same world; You know, if one was on earth and the other is in heaven?

We know that God’s family is not limited to those on earth only.

But we don’t know how praying with the saints works. It’s just a mystery. But we know it works because history has proven it. Miracles have occurred.

I’m not Catholic and I get tired of this. I can imagine how Catholics feel.:frowning:

I suspect you know the answer to this question, but…
Scripture teaches that the church triumphant does pray for the Chruch on Earth. Lutherans, for example, believe that these prayers are general, and not a response to specific prayers from us. Catholics believe that the Saints, already in heaven, hear our prayers and pray Christ’s mercy on us, not unlike our asking our friends to pray for us.
So long as there is no confusion about Christ as mediator, and if a person feels consolation by praying to the Blessed Virgin Mary or any other saint, why should anyone object (even if you don’t think it does any good)? Christ hears our prayers without benefit of the Saints, or our friends. But it sure feels good to ask others to pray for us.

Like I have said before in a few other threads here…I pray directly to God. I also ask my brothers and sisters who have gone before me to pray for/with me. This would include Mary. They are my prayer partners in high places :slight_smile: As well, I ask my brother and sister’s still here with me fighting the good fight to do the same. It is a both/and not a either/or. :thumbsup:

nope…Praying to Mary is like asking a friend to pray for you…but faith and logic would dictate that Mary is probably hangin’ pretty close to the Big Guy, and asking her to put in a good word for me or anyone else can’t hurt.

Yes as I received a healing through Padre Pio 3 years ago, so it is a known fact that saints help us if we pray to God THROUGH THEM.

I know my answer, but “Mary is our life-line to Jesus” could be taken to mean you have to go through Mary to get to Jesus couldn’t it? So that’s why I asked.

No requirement to go through Mary to get to Jesus…

But, His first miracle (against His will no less) was through her intercession (the wedding at Cana).

So…it might not be necessary, but it surely works.

Mik

I am used to simply seeking the prayers of the Blessed Theotokos, not asking her for particular favors or what not. Asking one for prayers is different than asking for favors or certain joys on earth…I am not sure how off I am, but it sounds like one crosses the line when one asks a saint for comfort or joy (or certain other things)–something GOD grants. These saints beseech GOD for us. If that is what people are saying, then I would agree…

I can imagine Protestants asking this (and indeed I am (though I am not Protestant)–I have never thought about this before):

GOD is omniscient and can hear all prayers by all, even at the same time. How can saints be able to do that?

Prayers and petitions,
Alexius:cool:

Kudos for that one…wish I had thought of it.:bowdown2:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.