Praying the Divine Mercy Chaplet

I decided to pray the Divine Mercy Chaplet. I’ve done it a few times. I decided to try it out. The first time… well… nothing. I was done and I thought, “Is that it? Well, ok.”

My initial intent and motivation for praying the Divine Mercy Chaplet was because, well, I don’t want to go to hell. Simple as that. Sort of like a “hope and a prayer” that praying this will help (tho’, not guarantee) my salvation. I felt so selfish praying this for myself.

Is it selfish to pray to God for his divine mercy so that I may be united with him?

I spent some time in Alcoholics Anonymous. (I no longer go. I kind of got burned with it.) I worked with a sponsor that did help me direct my prayer. But one of the things that AA teaches (and it’s important because it is considered that an alcoholic is selfish and self centered) that we should not pray for ourselves, but for others. And to pray for ourselves is selfish.

Well, I think I’ve had my view of prayer distorted by this. And so my praying the Divine Mercy Chaplet for me felt so selfish. Like I said, the first time I prayed it, when I was done I thought that I didn’t feel anything because my motives were selfish. In the end, I simply trusted that while I may not have felt anything, I had hoped that the spiritual effect would be there even though it was not obvious to me at the time. I simply trusted God that would be the case. I do reflect on the “Jesus, I trust in you” image when I say the chaplet.

I’ve since prayed it a few times and now by the time I’m in the middle of it I can sort of feel a strong presence. But I’m not too sure. It’s can be pretty strong. To be honest, I’m afraid to try and determine what it is, but I just pray. I really like this Divine Mercy Chaplet. A lot. It’s so different from a rosary. Simple, yet elegant.

What’s been your experience in praying the Divine Mercy Chaplet?

In my experience it’s an inherently UNselfish prayer - the phrase ‘and on/for the whole world’ is repeated often - reminding you that you AREN’T just praying for yourself but for everyone else too!

It’s the way I get around those ‘selfish’ feelings - rather than praying just for myself I will pray for all those who are in the same situation that I am.

As for praying for mercy - that’s what we do in the Our Father when we ask God to forgive our sins. Not to mention the Fatima Prayer, asking for Jesus’ guidance for those who most need His mercy.

It helps if you don’t just pray the words, but meditate while praying. Make it a mini Sorrowful Mysteries of the Rosary or something.

Yes! Ok, I didn’t think about the phrase “us/on the whole world” and how it includes everyone. Sometimes things are so obvious I don’t see it. :doh2:

Praying and meditation is new to me so I’m practicing here. I have the Divine Mercy image as a focus for meditation (sort of like the rosary mystery cards).

Now, your last line is an interesting idea. I’ve not heard of doing that. What do you mean? Do you mean like saying the sorrowful mysteries on the decade bead like you do in a rosary?

• :gopray2: God works ** . . . both . . . in and through us . . .** . . . all the time . . . it is a simultaneous activity . . . praying for oneself is neither selfish nor self-centered . . . but an absolute necessity . . . take up your Holy Bible and read some of the Psalms . . . the Psalmists pray for themselves constantly . . . as well as for others . . . and praying for others is a passing on of the blessing of the Wonderful Presence of our Holy God . . . ** in and with you ** . . . allowing it to pour forth . . . through you . . . and provide a blessing for others . . .

:bible1:
PSALM 3

Why, O Lord, are they multiplied that afflict me? many are they who rise up against me.
Many say to my soul: There is no salvation for him in his God.
But thou, O Lord, art my protector, my glory, and the lifter up of my head.
I have cried to the Lord with my voice: and he hath heard me from his holy hill.
I have slept and have taken my rest: and I have risen up, because the Lord hath protected me.
I will not fear thousands of the people, surrounding me: arise, O Lord; save me, O my God.
For thou hast struck all them who are my adversaries without cause: thou hast broken the teeth of sinners.
Salvation is of the Lord: and thy blessing is upon thy people.
. . . :signofcross: . . .

God bless . . . *
[RIGHT]
. . . thank You Blessed *Jesus+
. . . Sweet Holy Spirit of our God
. . . be Thou our Guide . . . +
. . . Blessed Holy Mother Mary
. . . pray for us . . . +

:gopray:[/RIGHT]

“GodisGracious” It’s not selfish for a person to pray for his/her own salvation. In fact, it is an act of humility. In this way, we acknowledge that we are sinners and in need of God’s mercy and grace. :gopray:

When I pray the Chaplet of Divine Mercy… I meditate on the Sorrowful Mysteries; in the same way you meditate, while praying the Rosary. But I always use the Sorrowful Mysteries… in the Chaplet of Divine Mercy. Hope this helps.

God bless you.

Don’t underestimate the power of the DMC!

First of all, it’s a prayer for the whole world. Everyone on earth is included - and also unlike many prayers, there is no place for

Insert your intention here.

That’s what first attracted me to the DMC. It isn’t a plea to entreat.

I heard it so much on EWTN during Christmas 2005 that I began hearing it sung in my dreams while I was asleep. Then one day my husband heard it pop inot his head at 3:00 one afternoon at work. In the next few years after this, we both were accepted into the Catholic church.

Plus, I often devote my DMC to all who will die today, so that they may feel God’s love and mercy in their last hours. No way that can be construed as selfish!

St. Faustina, pray for us!

Both Rosary and DMC are basically divided into five ‘decades’, sets of ten repetitions of the one prayer.

While you are praying the ‘Hail Marys’ in the Sorrowful Mysteries in the Rosary, you’re meditating on Christ’s passion - the Agony in the Garden, Scourging, Crowning with Thorns, Carrying the Cross and Crucifixion. One mystery per 10 Hail Marys.

You can do the same with the DMC - when you’re praying the first ten times ‘For the sake of His sorrowful passion …’, think about His Agony in the Garden, when you’re praying the second set of ten, think about His Scourging and so on.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.