Praying the Hail Mary

Simple question:

If you stopped praying the Hail Mary, would your salvation be affected?
If so, in what way would it be affected?

Praying the Hail Mary is not an essential requirement for salvation.

God Bless,
Michael

The answer is no.

The rosary is a private devotion. No one is required to say it.

Were you under a different impression? If so, where did you get such a notion?

Hope this helps. :tiphat:

Not at all, but I do think that Mary assists me in my journey to Her Son. And that, after all, is Her heavenly role.

Many who have this same experience will agree with you. :slight_smile: Her assistance is so obvious to many souls.

It is a relationship thing.

For example, if you regularly smiled at your boss every day, and one day stopped, would it affect your employment status? Not directly no. However your boss may begin to wonder, “Is he looking elsewhere? Is he unhappy? Have I said something? Is he upset with me?” (At least we hope our bosses would wonder…)

The relationship is subtly altered. The mood changed.

If we were to pray the Hail Mary prayer as an act of devotion to Christ and his blessed mother, and then stopped, would that indicate a lessening devotion to Christ? Is it a step away from him? Is it a concern that you are becoming less-Christ -centered?

It depends on your answer as to how it will affect your salvation.

Mary points to Christ. Mary reflects the light of Christ. Without Christ, Mary has no particular significance. Does that make her disposable or irrelevant? By no means! But since Christ DID honor her, we as the body of Christ, the Church, should honor her as our own mother. Becoming closer to Mary will bring us closer to Christ. And that’s all any of us wants, right?

Praying the Hail Mary prayer is not a requirement in the Catholic Church and is not said during regular Sunday Mass (I would say never at Mass but since I am new to Catholisim I’m not 100% certain of that, there might be special masses that it is said at.) It is one of the prayers in the rosary but the rosary is a private devotion and again is not a requirement of any kind in the Catholic church. You can be Catholic and never say the Hail Mary or the Rosary.

PS: Most of the Hail Mary prayer comes straight from the Bible
except for the last line that asks for prayer.

No not at all. Some Catholics do not pray the Hail Mary at all. Other’s do. I never used to but now I understand it a bit better in my own mind, it doesn’t bother me any more.

not in the least, neither this or any other private prayer is required for salvation. however it is good to remember that one way to improve any relationship with a man is to have a good relationship with His mother.

Love it!

We have sometimes used it during the Prayers of the Faithful on special Marian feast days, and we used to have one priest at our parish who included it at Sunday Mass during the prayers of the faithful, as well, but it’s not one of the essential prayers of the Mass, for sure.

despite popular Protestant belief, Hail Marys aren’t required…

That being said…

I have found that praying the rosary, (with all those hail marys) has increased my love for GOD immeasurably. I would argue that without the rosary, my spiritual life and devotion to God and Jesus would be much less.

But thats a personal experience

In Christ

That’s also my own personal experience - I am much closer to God now than I was before I started praying the Hail Mary in the prayers for the Pope and in the Rosary.

As every other respondant has noted, the answer is “No”

And they even explained further that a catholic is never required to pray ‘the Hail Mary’

So a question back to you…why did you ask this question? Obviously you were looking for ‘something’

And I have a question for you…

Would your salvation be affected because you stopped praying [saying Grace] before meals? Or just before meals in public?

I second this…Hail Marys are in NO WAY required, but Mary did bring me straight to her Son when I needed Him most.

Like a good work of art, her beauty serves to show the mastery of her Creator. You’ll never see an artist who is jealous of the attention his work recieves.

:hmmm: I wonder what’s the point of the question.

God Bless,
Michael

Here’s another question:

Suppose you never read the Bible. Never heard of it. Does THAT affect your salvation?

If so then what of the people who lived ‘before’ the Bible was compiled? What of the ones who may have lived after but never had the opportunity to hear it?

Is the actual physical Bible and either ‘hearing it’ or ‘reading it’ essential for salvation? Can one be saved without ‘the Bible book?’

I can’t wait to hear the answer to this. Out of context biblical references are my favorite and most often used.:wink:

I have to agree with you on this because I share the same experience in regards to praying the Hail Mary. Besides the prayer itself is Biblical, and it is a private devotion, and the Church does not require Catholics to pray it in order to be saved.

Being save comes from Jesus Christ himself, and that is what the CC always teaches.

Misslollypops, do you know why jrabs and others pray the “Hail Mary” most often inn the form of the Rosary…

the Rosary was the poor [and illiterate] persons way of praying the 150 Psalms…and originally was composed for 3 sets of mysteries:

The Joyful Mysteries: these mysteries are centered upon the Incarnation of Jesus and the joy of His coming into the world. God chose to become one of us and ine with us. God’s love of man is personal and intimate. Meditation upon these mysteries is to experience the depth of Christian joy. John 15:11 “I have told you this so that My joy might be in you and your joy might be complete”

The Sorrowful Mysteries: these mysteries are centered upon the Way of the Cross through which we accompany Jesus by contemplating upon His passion and death. This contemplation reminds us that Christ offered Himself, His very Life, to save us from our sin. John 3:16 “For God so loved the world that He gave His only Son, so that everyone who belives in Him might not perish but might have eternal life”

*The Glorious Mysteries: these mysteries remind us that there is hope, that our life here in earth is just a beginning, not the end. We contemplate our hope in Jesus and the 'place He has gone to prepare for us". At the end of our earthly life we hope to share in Christ’s resurrection and join Mary, our Blessed Mother, and all the angels and saints in knowing God’s glory and singing God’s praises for all eternity. John 14:2a "In My Father’s house there are may dwelling places…And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back aain and take you to Myself, so that where I m you also may be"

The these original mysteries have been added:

The Luminous Mysteries: these mysteries are centered upon the special events of Jesus’ public life. These are the revelations Jesus gave us about Himself as the “Light of the World”. We contemplate His preaching, teaching and ministry to those in need and at the margins of society. God calls us to proclaim the Kingdo through our works [words and deeds]. Matthew 5:14a , 16 b “You are the light of the world…your light must shie before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your heavenly Father”

During a week a person typically prays the Rosary following this pattern: Sunday - Glorious Mysteries, Monday - Joyful Mysteries, Tuesday - Sorrowful Mysteries, Wednesday - Glorious Msyteries, Thursday - Luminous Mysteries, Friday - Sorrowful Mysteries and Saturday - Joyful Mysteries.

The Rosary includes the Creed, the Our Father, the Gory Be in addition to the Hail Mary and most catholics include scripture passages as well…

Knowing this can you see how these prayers point to Christ and lead people to a deeper love for Jesus that translates into a Christ centered faith that is strengthened. These prayer impower people to go forth and be Christ to the world…doing th work Jesus gave them to do?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.