Praying the roasary

Relax, I have nothing against the rosary. This is a different question.

How do you feel about praying the rosary with a cd or in the car? For instance, right now I am folding letters for a mailing for my job. My mind is about 10% occupied because they go in the envelope in a order, maybe 5%. While it is best to give full attention to the prayer would it, in your opinion, be okay to say a rosary or divine mercy chaplet even though my full attention is somewhere else?

Kind of a hard question to answer. But I’d be happy to give my personal opinion. Hope that’s ok.

You can offer everything you do, during the day… as a prayer to God. This would include all of the humble (or not so humble) tasks of our day. Offer everything, for His glory.

For myself, though… I don’t think I would use a Rosary CD in the car (although, I have prayed along with Mother Angelica, on TV); I’m easily distracted, and I’m afraid I’d cause an accident. :blush: When praying the Rosary, the Chaplet of Divine Mercy… or similar prayers… I try to get my full attention on them. Especially the Rosary, because of the Mystery’s (you should meditate on them, as well as possible).

While I’m busy with my day to day tasks… I try to converse with Jesus, as well as I can. Just with regular dialogue… or conversation. That too, is a prayer.

I don’t know if my reply is helpful. I hope so.

God bless.

I really love the rosary and, ideally, it should be prayed in quiet with full attention being given to the meditation. I often, however, will let the rosary play while I am driving or even doing other activities. Fr. Groeschel’s “The Rosary is a Place” is especially good. I find that when I’m preoccupied and it’s playing in the background, periodically my attention gets drawn into it and it helps keep my mind attentive to Christ while I’m doing other activities. Otherwise I’d be daydreaming about nonsense or listening to music. I like having the words of the rosary around me. Today I played the rosary on my iPod while in flight, it was really awesome. Everything falls into sync for me when I pray the rosary. Fr Groeschel just finished saying the final prayers as the airline attendant said “please tun off all portable…” I can’t tell you how many times that happens to me.

Strong word of caution about the rosary or other prayers while driving. You can loose your attention to driving. It’s similar to talking on a mobile phone, maybe worse. It’s probably best not to do it, but if you do, keep your mind focused on the road! (I’m saying this to myself too)

For about the past 2 years I have been praying the rosary on the way to work and then the divine mercy chaplet on the way home. Praying these has had a tremendously positive impact on my life.

Also, since the divine mercy chaplet doesn’t take as long as the rosary, I have some time left over for the rest of the drive so I have an mp3 player that I download Catholic Answers Live as well as Scott Hahn, Tim Staples, Father Corapi CDs to and listen to as I drive. I have started to listen to these when my wife and I are driving on trips and she thoroughly enjoys them also - a great (and painless) way to lean more about your faith!

Stillkickin:thumbsup:

Boy! Great idea about the CD’s in the car! I myself have a very hard time praying the rosary, unless I am by myself. I even have a hard time praying with Mother Angelica and the Nuns!! Seems as though I can only concentrate completely on the mysteries when I am by myself. I realize that they say there is more spiritual benefit when the Rosary is said with a group, and I do pray it with the Parish when we have a group Rosary, but my concentration is not there like it is when I say it alone.:shrug: Have never really figured this out, but it does bother me that I cannot concentrate as well with a group. Maybe with practice?:shrug:

Thank you, all.

This is what I get from the answers:

It is best to pray the Rosary and Chaplet of the Divine Mercy in a quiet and peaceful place without disturbances. If one wishes to pray in the car one can and have wonderful experience with it as long as they remember to keep their eyes on the road and their hands on the wheel. It might not be AS good as the first method but it isn’t disrespectful or a bad thing to do.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.