Praying the Rosary daily?

Hi

I have a few questions for other Catholics?

Do you pray the rosary everyday?

Do you think that at some point in our journey, this devotion is a requirement to advance in our walk? Or a vital component to taking the next step?

I have felt really drawn to praying the rosary & reading scripture in the early morning the last 8 months, but I am battling a real lack of time.

When I opt for a quicker form of morning prayer, I some how feel that I am not on the right road & even feel some guilt.

Anyone else exp anything like this?

Frank

Quoting franksv

I have a few questions for other Catholics?

Do you pray the rosary everyday?

Hi Frank… No. I do try to pray it every Saturday - five decades. Chaplet of Mercy only on a Friday.

Do you think that at some point in our journey, this devotion is a requirement to advance in our walk? Or a vital component to taking the next step?

Spirituality, I think is very personal and in many ways unique to the person. Hence I cannot give a straight yes/no answer to your questions…only a “possibly”.
I think The Rosary is a very important and beautiful prayer. Certainly it was my very first experience in meditating. That probably led on to recollection during my day.

I have felt really drawn to praying the rosary & reading scripture in the early morning the last 8 months, but I am battling a real lack of time.

I am in the same boat “lack of time”. Also I like to live a very orderly life - I thrive on it and disorder disorientates me. Just a quirk of my nature with a touch, I am told, of Obsessive/Compulsive Disorder (OCD - not OCD = Order of Carmel Discalced:D ) We dont have to work against our intrinsic nature, for Grace, it is said, will build on nature.
Certianly our duties and all they entail re our state in life or associated matters to our lives, can be offered as a prayer and be an integral part of our life of prayer as in Benedictine spirituality, although certainly not confined to the Benedictines.

When I opt for a quicker form of morning prayer, I some how feel that I am not on the right road & even feel some guilt.

Anyone else exp anything like this?

If something comes up and I have to miss a prayer time, and for the most reasonable of reasons…my day can feel "not right"even I can feel guilty. These are only feelings which are very often not the best of guides to reality…they are merely a personal reaction to reality and realities which feelings can have many reasons possible as the actual trigger to that personal reaction. Feelings really are amoral…it is what we do with our feelings that introduce morality. At times my ‘not right’ and guilty feelings I accept merely as a cross…if there is no justified reason to feel so…only my reaction to a reality for some unknown reason really.

Hi Frank :slight_smile:

I recently got back to praying the Rosary almost daily – I pray it on my commute to work in the morning. On the weekends I don’t usually pray it, though maybe I’ll get there someday. :o

I also pray the Chaplet of Divine Mercy almost daily – either on the commute home or when putting my toddler to bed. It’s quiet and peaceful and she holds her Rosary beads and listens to me pray. It’s a special time for us, even if she doesn’t understand it yet. :thumbsup:

If you’re feeling very drawn to praying the Rosary and reading scripture, maybe that’s the Holy Spirit moving in your soul. I understand about the lack of time issue, that’s why I pray on my commute – it’s a time when I’m alone and can’t do anything else, why not fill it with prayer? I would love to commit to an hour of Eucharistic Adoration weekly, but with my full-time work schedule, being pregnant, having a husband and toddler at home, it’s just too difficult at this point. I go for a few minutes here and there when I can, and I think Jesus knows my heart and knows that I’d definitely rather be with him than at work, etc., but that my life is the way it is right now for a reason (though I don’t know what the reason is sometimes!).

Anyway, try not to feel guilty. Do the best you can, give as much time as you can to your prayer life, and it will grow…you’ll receive graces from even the smallest time in conversation with God, and that’ll help you find more time, know what I mean?

God bless you. :slight_smile:

I pray the Rosary daily. If you don’t have time to pray the Rosary at one time, pray it throughout the day - spend few minutes per decade, and over 12 hours, you’ll finish the Rosary.

I have the same issues (needed to pray the rosary more and to read more Scripture) during the regular semesters. I solved both issues by praying a decade of a Scriptural rosary a day.

I pray the rosary almost every day. I usually pray it during my morning commute (traffic isn’t too heavy out here), or during my “quiet time” when I get home from work. I’ll also pray while I’m taking a walk by myself. As another poster stated, if you feel drawn to praying it, but you’re having difficulty finding time, maybe pray a decade at a time throughout the day? Also, you may want to consider joining the Confraternity of the Rosary.

I try to get in 1 every day, either by saying myself on beads, or by listening to audio of the Rosary on more challenging days. Here’s a link to Mother Angelica’s MP3 Rosaries you can put on your ipod or burn to CD.

While the Rosary is not a “requirement” as you asked, think of this: every single canonized saint had a devotion to the Blessed Mother. What better way to let her lead you to Jesus? :o

I do a rosary every day. Excellent idea to pray it over the course of the day… . :slight_smile:

Start with small steps and you will do fine :slight_smile:

Seems to me the same basic message appears, from those that pray the Rosary, effort is key. Whatever level, or way it is done.

If Christ was not at the forefront of lives, would we care?

For reasons not totally known to me, I am drawn to Christ through Mary. I am going to take your advice & find a way to keep doing this & get the 5 decades in every day that is humanly possible.

I like the idea of praying the Rosary at nap time with my toddler.

You folks have given me a lot of ideas.

Thanks & God Bless.

I don’t know if it’s an important component of our spiritual journey - I do know that there are plenty of souls much more advanced in their spiritual journey than I who don’t ever pray the rosary, but for me I think it is an important component. I started in the Rosary Confraternity when I thought I “should” do it for my spiritual journey, however now I feel like I’ve hurt Mary (and then, of course, Jesus) if I don’t. That’s my motivation now - I just can’t stand the thought of hurting Mary!:eek: I do it more now than I used to as a present to Mary.

As far as time, while driving is ok and it’s wonderful if you have any insomnia! If you wake up during the night, a decade or two will put you right back to sleep.

Sometimes, I’ve “bargained” with Mary when I was really strapped for time - “I can’t fit in the rosary, but I will honor your Son with a DM chaplet.”

Well, I’ve been praying Rosary almost everyday for over 3 months. and it helps me for my spiritual journey. I become closer and closer to her son Lord Jesus. And I try to recommend my catholic friend to pray it often.

I pray the rosary almost everyday, usually between 12 and 3pm. But I’m retired and our home is a empty nest. I am at a stage in my life where almost everyday is my own, and I have to give back to the One that makes it possible.

I know young parents are crammed for time, but God is gonna put you where ever you put Him. Put him #2 or 3 on your list and guess what?

I can personally attest to the power of praying the Rosary. It has changed my life, personal intentions have been granted, I’ve received graces I didn’t ask for, and God’s path just is easier to follow, because it seems so clear.

I usually pray all 5 decades at one sitting. I have trouble concentrating, and some days are better than others I’m sure. But I’ve found the days you have trouble concentrating are no reason to pass on the devotion, just do the best ya can.

Every once in awhile I miss a day for lack of privacy, and I feel a the day was a little less then it could have been, and I can’t wait to get back to it.

Sometimes I can’t get to it till late at night, and I get sleepy and struggle to finish, but I manage.

Yes, it sure does put things in perspective. The walk just seems a bit easier and mornings I pray the rosary. Everything from my sense of peace, to my patience & awaness seemed hieghtened.

I really like to read a chp of scripture right after, things seem clearer on how it relates to life.

As a teen, I try to pray the rosary as often as I can especially since life has been challenging for me. I definitely think it has given me a lot of strength and has brought me closer to God. I remember when I was praying the rosary late one night and had tingly, warm feeling rush through my body. Has anyone ever felt that?

I do pray the Rosary every day, almost always along with the one from the Holy Land on EWTN. I actually panicked when the local station didn’t carry EWTN one morning. :stuck_out_tongue:

I started praying the Rosary along with a tape while I was still learning both the prayers and the meanings, well before my swim across the Tiber. Now I don’t feel right without it, and I’ve only ‘forgotten’ once or twice since then.

Now the Biblical readings, that’s another thing. I try, but may have forgotten them more than once.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.