Praying the Rosary

I just learned the prayers of the Rosary, and prayed it for the first time last night. Well I don’t actually have a Rosary yet (hoping to get one next week), but just used my fingers to count.

I have some questions, though.

Can it be split up throughout the day? Say maybe 1-2 decades in the morning, 1-2 throughout the day, and the rest at night?

If so, does each set need to be prefixed with the Apostles’ Creed, Our Father, the three Hail Mary’s, and the Glory Be, like the whole rosary is? Do they need to be ended with the Hail Holy Queen, or just after all 5 are finished? Does it matter?

Also, I did it last night, but it was hard to reflect on the mysteries while saying the prayers at the same time. Does this get easier?

sure, just do what you can. I usually just pray a decade a day as there are also other things I pray.

If so, does each set need to be prefixed with the Apostles’ Creed, Our Father, the three Hail Mary’s, and the Glory Be, like the whole rosary is? Do they need to be ended with the Hail Holy Queen, or just after all 5 are finished? Does it matter?

Each set, as in each decade? No. Or do you mean if you break it up in the morning and evening? I would probably just do it at the beginning and the end if I was doing it throughout the day. Since I usually just do a decade in a day, I do all of it with just the decade.

Also, I did it last night, but it was hard to reflect on the mysteries while saying the prayers at the same time. Does this get easier?

Yes! It gets lots easier. I remember how hard it was at first, but as you learn the prayers you don’t have to think about them so much and they can kind of become background music as you think about the mysteries.

Hi Seeker! I’m new to the rosary, too. I asked a question a few weeks ago regarding the form of the rosary and received loads of helpful answers. Maybe it will be helpful to you, too. Here’s the thread: forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=270242

I promise it does get easier. Lately, I have just been working on getting the prayers straight, hoping that when I add in the meditations on the Mysteries I’ll be able to concentrate more on the Mysteries than on remembering the prayers. But regardless, Our Lady knows we’re trying our best–she just wants us to give it our best shot.

Best of luck!
*Stella

Thanks everyone.

KarenElissa, so you’re saying, for instance if i split it up into three parts, to say the introductory and beginning prayers before the first set, say in the morning, and the ending prayer after the last one at night?

I meant to ask another question, too.

I heard you can sometimes attach an intention or a sort of prayer when praying the rosary. How do you do this? For instance, i’ve heard the term “ask through the Rosary.”

Thanks again.

An intention is a petition to God. For example, I may pray for a sick relative on one decade, souls in purgatory on another, increase in vocations on another, etc. Or you can load all of your petitions at the beginning of the rosary, too. It really doesn’t matter- either way is correct.

Good luck,
Mary

Thanks. But is it something you pray before or after the decade?

Is there a special way to pray for these intentions?

No special way- just ask politely and humbly!:slight_smile:

familyrosary.org/main/rosary-daily.php

Here is a link to one of my favorite rosary meditation sights- it may help you get started. Also, I would recommend reading the book by St. Louis DeMontfort about how to pray the rosary… I’ll get the link to it and post it in a minute.

OK, here it is:

The secret of the rosary. You can get it for only 1 cent on Amazon.com- plus the $3.99 shipping and handling.

Hope this all helps.

Mary

The Rosary is one of my favorite prayers – and each decade I pray for a special intention – my children, grandchildren, friends, etc. I actually pray the Rosary throughout the day. The first two decades I say with my first cup of coffee – then the next two decades I usually go out to Golden Gate Park (I live in San Francisco) and pray while walking around Stow Lake – my last decade I pray before I go to sleep at night. The Rosary and daily Mass are the two most important things in my life and I couldn’t get along without them.

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the replies.

Ya, that is what I would do.

I meant to ask another question, too.

I heard you can sometimes attach an intention or a sort of prayer when praying the rosary. How do you do this? For instance, i’ve heard the term “ask through the Rosary.”

Thanks again.

Mary has done a good job of answering those questions. I usually will just kind of think about what I want to pray for and often try and connect it to the mystery. Like if I’m praying the mystery about Pentecost, I’ll pray about the Holy Spirit coming on me as I teach or on our priests or something like that.

It is basically a dedication. I want to dedicate this part of my prayer for this thing.

Counting on the fingers is what I do while bicycling on a long ride.
:thumbsup:

On your concern about splitting up the rosary I would say that sometimes God’s green earth catches my eye and a mile will pass by without a prayer. I will think, “Now where was I?” and then pick up where I left off.

I think it was back in May when I started saying the rosary everyday. I had to carry a pocket set of rosary prayers to help me with the Hail Holy Queen until I learned it. So I think if you say it more often the sooner you will have it learned by heart.

Congratulations my young friend on a good decision about your prayer life.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.