Praying the Rosary.

Today - for the first time in a VERY long time - I said the Rosary.
I found it a bit hard to focus on my intentions as well as the Mysteries for each decade. I read somewhere that every bead within each decade has its own meaning depending on the corresponding Mystery (hopefully I explained this correctly).

I really enjoyed praying the Rosary and would like to do so more often, but what is the best way of saying it so that both the intentions and the Mysteries remain central?

Also, just out of curiosity - is it appropriate to pray the Rosary in front of the Blessed Sacrament?

God bless!

By all means, pray it before our Lord! Just do so silently if others are present. Or, aloud if all are praying as a group.

As to remaining on task, try praying along with the artwork in this blog. Along the right side, if you scroll down, are images associated with the various mysteries. Click on the appropriate mystery that you are about to pray and an image of a hand holding a Rosary will come up. Click on that image and it will open up on a new page. Then, just use your arrow keys and scroll sideways through the images which represent that mystery. When that mystery is finished, just X out of the page and it will return to the home page, where you may select the next mystery. I find that contemplating the artwork is a help to remaining focused.

Here is a page which links to several on-line Rosaries, including scriptural Rosaries which use the associated bible verses as you pray each mystery.

I believe that it was one of the Saints who said that, if all you do while praying a Rosary is to constantly call your attention back to the mystery, it is a well-prayed Rosary.

Pray away!

Just remember, when enthusiasm wanes next time, that this is a human effort and as such added on the First Thing - God's love for you through the blood of our Saviour, effective in this very moment, completely on behalf of Christ, not your prayer efforts. ;)

Jan Peter Otto

I find it helpful to pray the rosary with someone else leading. Mother Angelica and her nuns say the rosary twice a day on EWTN. Or you can get a free 17 minute Cd on the internet. I can find the link if you're interested. Or you could say it together with a group at church. When the leader is saying their part, then I concentrate on the mystery, and then when it's time to say my part, I just say my part. I also find it helpful to concentrate on the FRUIT of the mystery; for instance the fruit of the Annunciation is "humilty." So when I'm praying that decade, I will pray something like this, "Mother Mary, pray that I will humbly accept the will of God." OR "May I always understand that everything I have and am comes from you, Lord." The fruit of The Descent of the Holy Spirit is "Love of God", so I might pray, "Lord, let me love you above all things." OR Lord, I pray that everyone who doesn't know you will come to understand Your love for them." The fruit of the Crowning of Thorns is "courage", so I might pray, "Lord, give me the courage to defend the Catholic Faith" OR "Give Suzy the courage to practice her faith even though her peers are not Christians." Sometimes I dedicate the whole rosary to a person or persons or special intention and then relate all the fruits of the mystery to those people/intentions, and sometimes I mix it up and pray for lots of people/things. Here is a link that tells you what the fruits of the mystery are. catholicexchange.com/the-fruits-of-the-mysteries-of-the-rosary/ And YES, you can pray the rosary in front of the Blessed Sacrament! In fact, I've read that is when it is MOST powerful!!

[quote="sparrowhawk28, post:1, topic:277018"]
Today - for the first time in a VERY long time - I said the Rosary.
I found it a bit hard to focus on my intentions as well as the Mysteries for each decade. I read somewhere that every bead within each decade has its own meaning depending on the corresponding Mystery (hopefully I explained this correctly).

I really enjoyed praying the Rosary and would like to do so more often, but what is the best way of saying it so that both the intentions and the Mysteries remain central?

Also, just out of curiosity - is it appropriate to pray the Rosary in front of the Blessed Sacrament?

God bless!

[/quote]

History of the Rosary
catholicapologetics.org/ap080600.htm

You can try Methods of saying the Rosary by St. Louis de Montfort
montfort.org.uk/Writings/MSR.html

Scriptural rosary
ainglkiss.com/ros/sr.htm

How to say and pray the rosary
familyrosary.org/en/TheRosary.aspx

Thoughts for each decade of the rosary
rosary-center.org/howto.htm

Rosary - plenary indulgence
ourladyswarriors.org/indulge/g48.htm

[quote="fred_conty, post:5, topic:277018"]
Rosary - plenary indulgence
ourladyswarriors.org/indulge/g48.htm

[/quote]

Might be wishful thinking, but I wonder if it applies here: comepraytherosary.org/ ???

Thank you everyone! :D

The advice about artwork and the links were particularly useful.
I prayed the Rosary again today, but this time I was at my university's church. It was quiet and I was able to focus fairly well. I managed to keep my thoughts on the Mysteries well enough, though I wasn't as deep in prayer as I wanted to be. Praying really motivated me to think more about Mary and Jesus, and it cast the theme of much of the rest of my day.
I need to try and commit the prayers to memory a bit better - I always seem to get stuck on Hail, Holy Queen - and will try and pray the Rosary more often. I haven't yet had the chance to pray it in front of the Blessed Sacrament - but am really looking forward to doing so.

God bless!

I find that contemplating the artwork is a help to remaining focused.
http://www.filii.info/g.gif

When I can't seem to find the focus to pray the rosary well, I find this book to be very helpful:

amazon.com/Pray-Rosary-Expanded-Scripture-Rdgs/dp/0899420524/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1331734153&sr=8-2

It includes an illustration for each mystery, as well as an intention for each decade based on it's corresponding mystery (i.e. I offer this decade to honor your crowning with thorns and ask, through meditating on this mystery, for the grace of moral courage *) and an optional extended form (which I use.) The extended form includes a Scripture verse to be read before each Hail Mary, as well as a reflection on Jesus' relation to us in that mystery to be added as an extension to each Hail Mary (i.e. ...and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus, who reconciled man to Himself through the cross; or something like that.) It has been a big help in dry periods!

Amazon has it for 15 dollars, but I found it in my local Catholic bookstore for much cheaper, so if you happen to decide to check it out, you might wasn't to look around. Best of luck with your devotion to the rosary!*

[quote="prodigalson2011, post:9, topic:277018"]
When I can't seem to find the focus to pray the rosary well, I find this book to be very helpful:

amazon.com/Pray-Rosary-Expanded-Scripture-Rdgs/dp/0899420524/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1331734153&sr=8-2

It includes an illustration for each mystery, as well as an intention for each decade based on it's corresponding mystery (i.e. I offer this decade to honor your crowning with thorns and ask, through meditating on this mystery, for the grace of moral courage *) and an optional extended form (which I use.) The extended form includes a Scripture verse to be read before each Hail Mary, as well as a reflection on Jesus' relation to us in that mystery to be added as an extension to each Hail Mary (i.e. ...and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus, who reconciled man to Himself through the cross; or something like that.) It has been a big help in dry periods!

Amazon has it for 15 dollars, but I found it in my local Catholic bookstore for much cheaper, so if you happen to decide to check it out, you might wasn't to look around. Best of luck with your devotion to the rosary!*

That is my absolute favorite rosary book. I paid 2$ for it a year ago at a local monastery.
But I would gladly pay 15$ for it to replace it, wonderful book. :)

[/quote]

[quote="sparrowhawk28, post:1, topic:277018"]
I read somewhere that every bead within each decade has its own meaning depending on the corresponding Mystery (hopefully I explained this correctly).

[/quote]

This sounds like a scriptural rosary. See post 5 by Fred Conty.

-Tim-

[quote="prodigalson2011, post:9, topic:277018"]

Thank you! That sounds like an excellent book. I have a prayer book with a guide to the Rosary, but it doesn't give much more than a list of the Mysteries. I would like to get some sort of guide that relates the Rosary back to Jesus, so I'll check this out.

[quote="sparrowhawk28, post:12, topic:277018"]

Another couple of quick questions I wanted to ask (and forgive me if they are silly ones):

[/quote]

Questions are never silly.

• Today I was praying the Rosary, was interrupted and couldn't continue with it (I had about two decades left). What happens in this situation - should I pick up where I left off at another time during the day?

Yes just pick up where you left off.

• Is it advisable to pray the Rosary daily? Is there a risk of losing meaning or importance? I've prayed the Rosary daily for the last three days, and have really enjoyed it but don't want it to become something that loses the power of fulfilment.

To pray the Rosary daily is very wonderful to do. And is encouraged to do so. The more you pray the Rosary many more merits are applied to you soul. Pray it to your last breath.

Have you considered joining

THE CONFRATERNITY OF THE
MOST HOLY ROSARY
?

AND - Has anyone prayed the Jesus Prayer Rosary before? Any thoughts or opinions on it?

I'll have to look in to it. Thanks.

***The Jesus Prayer Rosary differs from the traditional (Dominican) Rosary in about the ways you might expect. Here’s what the structure looks like:

On the cross pray

We adore you, O Christ, and we bless you.
Because by your holy cross you have redeemed the world.

and

Holy God,
Holy and strong,
Holy and immortal,
have mercy on us.

On the first large bead pray the Lord’s Prayer.

On the three small beads pray

i. Jesus, son of David, have pity on me.
ii. You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.
iii. Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father.

Pray the “Glory Be…”

On the next large bead, announce the first “mystery” or meditation and pray the Lord’s Prayer.

On each of the ten following beads, pray the Jesus Prayer.

After the ten beads, pray the “Glory Be…” and the Concluding prayer for each meditation.

Repeat this for all five decades; on the centerpiece pray one of the concluding prayers (the book offers several, including the traditional Lukan canticles).

Pray a concluding prayer.***

Jesus Prayer rosary

Thank you!

I've heard about the Confraternity. I'll look into it - it could be something I end up joining. I usually don't pray structured prayers, but I've really found myself drawn to the Rosary this week. I feel a new, growing connection to Mary and thus to Christ.

And thank you for the information about the Jesus Prayer Rosary. I'll be interested in hearing your views on it eventually. I'll do a bit more research on it and see if it's something that attracts me. It caught my eye mainly because it focuses directly on Christ.

God bless.

How do we focus on the Hail Mary prayers and the mysteries at the same time?

Is it mainly one or the other?

Like when i focus on the mysteries im just repeating the Hail Marys mechanically without really thinking about the words of the prayers..

[quote="Paul_theApostle, post:15, topic:277018"]
How do we focus on the Hail Mary prayers and the mysteries at the same time?

Is it mainly one or the other?

Like when i focus on the mysteries im just repeating the Hail Marys mechanically without really thinking about the words of the prayers..

[/quote]

I found a similar problem too.
Today when I prayed the Rosary, I tried using Scripture to help. For each Mystery, I would read the relevant Scripture passage and then use what I'd read in Scripture to meditate on while I said the Hail Marys. That really helped to give me some direction.
But I get what you mean, it does feel like I'm just repeating the Hail Marys without examining their deeper meaning.

[quote="sparrowhawk28, post:16, topic:277018"]
I found a similar problem too.
Today when I prayed the Rosary, I tried using Scripture to help. For each Mystery, I would read the relevant Scripture passage and then use what I'd read in Scripture to meditate on while I said the Hail Marys. That really helped to give me some direction.
But I get what you mean, it does feel like I'm just repeating the Hail Marys without examining their deeper meaning.

[/quote]

One cannot repeat a prayer without being aware of it at some level of their being. Yet, the Rosary is contemplative prayer, and so the emphasis is on the contemplation. I allow the prayers to recede into the background as I focus on the mysteries. This is especially true when I contemplate images of each mystery. You will be surprised at the little "illuminations" you receive while in contemplation.

[quote="po18guy, post:17, topic:277018"]
One cannot repeat a prayer without being aware of it at some level of their being. Yet, the Rosary is contemplative prayer, and so the emphasis is on the contemplation. I allow the prayers to recede into the background as I focus on the mysteries. This is especially true when I contemplate images of each mystery. You will be surprised at the little "illuminations" you receive while in contemplation.

[/quote]

Ah, I understand. Thanks for clarifying that :)
By "illuminations", do you mean something like a revelation or deepened understanding?

[quote="sparrowhawk28, post:18, topic:277018"]
Ah, I understand. Thanks for clarifying that :)
By "illuminations", do you mean something like a revelation or deepened understanding?

[/quote]

Precisely. Things that simply occur to you that never occurred before; that you did not know, or even could not know. The Holy Spirit is at work when you pray the Rosary.

[quote="po18guy, post:19, topic:277018"]
Precisely. Things that simply occur to you that never occurred before; that you did not know, or even could not know. The Holy Spirit is at work when you pray the Rosary.

[/quote]

I appreciate your explanation. I've had such things happen to me from time to time - they can really be quite profound and amazing. I haven't been praying the Rosary for long, but I've already seen it to have a significant impact on my emotions. As I pray and reflect, my heart feels impacted upon and sometimes changed. It's becoming something I now look forward to doing.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.