Praying to and asking Saints for help

Hello! Recently i have been calling upon the Blessed Virgin and Saint Jude to pray for me and help me in my spiritual journey toward Catholicism. I have one question though. How do we know that we are able to pray to and communicate with the saints. Is there scriptual amd traditional basis for it? Im not doubting it. I would just like to know. Thank you guys! Please pray for me!

HelloSeekerOfFaith,

That is good to hear. :slight_smile:

Yes there is scriptural basis, and yes, it is traditional.

In Revelation 5:8,
"8 When he had taken the scroll, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell before the Lamb, each holding a harp and golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints."
We see here that the saints in heaven carry our prayers to the Lord and not only the saints, but angels also bring our prayers to the Lord.

Rev 8:3-4
3 Another angel with a golden censer came and stood at the altar; he was given a great quantity of incense to offer with the prayers of all the saints on the golden altar that is before the throne. 4 And the smoke of the incense, with the prayers of the saints, rose before God from the hand of the angel.

The angel Raphael brought prayers to heaven:

Tobit 12:12 (This is what the angel Raphael said)
“12 So now when you and Sarah prayed, it was I who brought and read the record of your prayer before the glory of the Lord, and likewise whenever you would bury the dead.”

Jesus also warned us in Matthew 18:10, of the intercessary role of children’s guardian angels…

10 "Take care that you do not despise one of these little ones; for, I tell you, in heaven their angels continually see the face of my Father in heaven.

We are also told by Jesus in Scripture that the departed are not dead: they are alive (in heaven).

Mark 12:26-27
26 And as for the dead being raised, have you not read in the book of Moses, in the story about the bush, how God said to him, “I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob’? 27 He is God not of the dead, but of the living; you are quite wrong.”

God hears the prayer of the righteous (and who is more righteous with a certainty than those in heaven!),

James 5:16
Therefore confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another, so that you may be healed. The prayer of the righteous is powerful and effective.

God does not listen to sinners:

John 9:31
31 We know that God does not listen to sinners, but he does listen to one who worships him and obeys his will.

He does hear us when we are truly repentent, nonetheless, if our angels and our Saints in heaven carry our prayers to God in heaven, and we know they are righteous, then we are ensured that God will hear our prayers. They are interceding for us, especially when we sin, and in need of God’s “ear”.

That is why we ask Mary, Mother of our Lord, to “pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death” in the Hail Mary. (Which, btw, the first half of this prayer is directly from Scripture and what Elizabeth spoke to Mary.

Blessings, hope this was some help :angel1:

CEM

Because of the Communion of Saints. Heaven is being in communion with Christ, thus all the saints in heaven do hear our prayers because Christ hears our prayers. They act with Christ, not apart from Christ.

In addition to the passages provide at Post 2…here are some more additional passages:

Matthew 22:30
30 At the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven.

Those in heaven, souls in heaven, are like or have the attributes of angels…and you already know that angels can communicate here on earth to us.

And from Luke 10…7 I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent…10 In the same way, I tell you, there is rejoicing in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents.”

Angels and saints know what is happening here on earth.

A shameless plug for my personal essay on praying to saints. :o

There’s a good podcast on praying to saints, with Biblical testimony, available here: emmausroundtable.org/audio/dan—praying-to-saints.mp3 (Note! That is a link to an mp3 podcast.)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.