Praying to God

Can anyone pray to(not for) anyone other than God?

Answers from the Bible please.

Just what sense of the word pray do you mean? See below taken from Merriam-Webster’s Online Dictionary.

Main Entry: pray
Pronunciation: 'prA
Function: verb
Etymology: Middle English, from Old French preier, from Latin precari, from prec-, prex request, prayer; akin to Old High German frAgEn to ask, Sanskrit prcchati he asks
transitive senses
1 : ENTREAT, IMPLORE – often used as a function word in introducing a question, request, or plea
2 : to get or bring by praying
intransitive senses
1 : to make a request in a humble manner
2 : to address God or a god with adoration, confession, supplication, or thanksgiving

You’re referring to praying to saints? It might be easier for you to understand that when we die on this earth our life isn’t over, we will share in our eternal life with God. We will become “one with” God. Now that doesn’t mean we will become God, simply we will become “one with” or united with God. We won’t sit around doing nothing, God has shown us we will still be active, we will be doing, and the saints are now doing His will. This oneness is shown several times in Scripture, I’ll just list two, if you’d like more I’ll provide:

[quote=www.drbo.org] John 17,11 And now I am not in the world, and these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep them in thy name whom thou has given me; that they may be one, as we also are.
[/quote]

[quote=www.drbo.org] John 17,21 That they all may be one, as thou, Father, in me, and I in thee; that they also may be one in us; that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.
[/quote]

Now the erroneous teaching that the saints can’t hear or do anything is a misconception that God must do everything. God will use us as He pleases, nowhere in Scripture does it say He can’t use anything. The following two references show He does use His saints:

[quote=www.drbo.org] Matthew 19,28 And Jesus said to them: Amen, I say to you, that you, who have followed me, in the regeneration, when the Son of man shall sit on the seat of his majesty, you also shall sit on twelve seats judging the twelve tribes of Israel.
[/quote]

[quote=www.drbo.org] Luke 22, 30 That you may eat and drink at my table, in my kingdom: and may sit upon thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.
[/quote]

Read the book of Revelation or Apocalypse you’ll see many cases where the saints are alive and well, and doing His will.
Since you asked for Scriptural references only that’s what I gave, but, there are many other Scriptural references as well as non Scriptural references.
Welcome to the forum.
May the peace and love of our Lord, Jesus the Christ, be with you always.

By this do you mean “Where in the Bible does it order us to pray to (ask the intercession of) those who are in heaven with God”?

First of all you’re asking us to make an assertion based upon a false premise, that false premise being “Everything we do that is profitable for our life as Christians must be explicitly stated in the Bible.” This premise is false, ironically, because nowhere in the Bible are we told this.

To answer a question based on a false premise is foolish. The most one can ask, if the Bible does not directly address the question, is whether a practice is explicitly forbidden by the Bible.

Examples:

You can pray others will make intercessory prayers for you (Rm 15:30)
You can call on angels too: (Ps 148:1-2 , Ps 103:20-21, Zechariah 1:10-16)

Thanks for posting the Bible verses.

The following Bible verse speaks about Paul asking the brethren to pray to God for him. There’s nothing in this verse about asking the brethren who have died and are with the Lord to pray for him. Why didn’t Paul, Peter or John etc write about asking Stephen to pray for them.

Now I beseech you, brethren, for the Lord Jesus Christ’s sake, and for the love of the Spirit, that ye strive together with me in your prayers to God for me; Romans 15:30

Also how can anyone apart from God hear all the millions of prayer requests?

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 2 Tim 3:16

When God inspired Paul to write this He knew what all Scripture would be. So it’s right that we should look in the Scriptures to see if there’s any teaching re asking christians in heaven to pray to God for us.

I don’t see anything in the verses you have quoted that instruct christians to ask christians in heaven to pray to God for them.

Profitable, yes…explicitly necessary?..I don’t see it here. :rolleyes:

You’re emphasizing the wrong word.

The verse says that all Scripture is profitable. It does not say that all profitable things are in Scripture. That’s a big difference-- for example, all bananas are fruit, but not all fruits are bananas.

This verse says that Scripture is profitable, but it does not say that it is sufficient.

When God inspired Paul to write this He knew what all Scripture would be.

Really? Can you show me where it says this in Scripture? And, even if *God *knows what books belong in the Bible, how are we supposed to know since there is no “inspired Table of Contents”?

So it’s right that we should look in the Scriptures to see if there’s any teaching re asking christians in heaven to pray to God for us.

I do not see this command in the Bible either. Again, you are drawing a flawed conclusion from a false premise.

Why would you think those who are with the Lord can’t pray for us?

Alright, so what verse of Scripture prohibits it?

The verses say the saints are one with God. When you pray to the saints you are in effect praying to God, there is no difference. God uses His saints and they are His gift to us. I choose to use the gifts He gives me. Some choose to reject the gifts He gives.

Are you trying to say that God’s inspired Word isn’t sufficient?

You said “if God knows”, are you trying to say God doesn’t know some things?

What kind of God do you believe in?

All christians are in Christ:

so in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. Romans 12:5

Are you praying to people in your actual church(on earth)?

The Lord Jesus taught us to pray to God the Father, Matt 6.

How do we know they are in heaven maybe they are still sleeping till all the gentles come in. We truly do not know all things. Maybe they need our prayers. Why would we, not simply ask Jesus.

I am not asking about asking those around us on earth to pray, but why do we not simply ask Jesus? Jesus did he not show us how to pray. Jesus kneeled and prayed to his Father. Like at the last supper also. Praise, gave thanks, asked etc. Prayer is it not like Jesus showed us besides teaching us the “Art Father” Jesus also taught us that prayer is a conversation with God, our Heavenly Father. God is eternal.

I just do not know why everything has to be so complicated. Gives me a headache also. Oh the human mind.
Just asking Thanks… God Bless

I went and read Job Chapter 38…41. over, over There I find how very, very little we all are. God puts us all in our place in his answer to Job:

For who knows the thoughts of God?

God Bless

God Bless

God said: My yoke is not heavy or burndensome! Fallow me.

Keep your hands busy ( charity) keep your consciencious ( thoughts) clear and you shall do well. St. Paul.

God Bless

If you are making a request of Christians on earth, then yes, you are praying to them. So, once again I’ll ask you in what sense are you using the word pray?

See below taken from Merriam-Webster’s Online Dictionary.

Main Entry: pray
Pronunciation: 'prA
Function: verb
Etymology: Middle English, from Old French preier, from Latin precari, from prec-, prex request, prayer; akin to Old High German frAgEn to ask, Sanskrit prcchati he asks
transitive senses
1 : ENTREAT, IMPLORE – often used as a function word in introducing a question, request, or plea
2 : to get or bring by praying
intransitive senses
1 : to make a request in a humble manner
2 : to address God or a god with adoration, confession, supplication, or thanksgiving

And that’s the only prayer you are allowed to say? you know that’s rubbish.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.