Praying to Mary is a Direct (Biblical) order from God

Marian dogma comes directly from the Pure and Holy Mouth of the Glorious Savior Jesus Christ Himself . In fact Jesus commanded John to behold his mother.

*When Jesus therefore had seen his mother and the disciple standing whom he loved, he saith to his mother: Woman, behold thy son. After that, he saith to the disciple: Behold thy mother. And from that hour, the disciple took her to his own. * – John 19:26-27

By definition behold means:
be·hold (bĭ-hōld′) – To see, look upon, or gaze at

and by definition gaze means:

gaze (gāz) - To look steadily, intently, and with fixed attention.To see, look upon, or gaze at

So we Catholics take the direct command of Jesus Christ given to St John the apostle and passed down in the Holy Bible and by Apostolic succession to do exactly as Jesus told John to do … gaze upon and look steadily intently and with fixed attention on the ever Glorious and Blessed Virgin Mary.

As well as “All generations shall call me blessed”; so here, we see the Bible says to honor her.

Thank you for this post. I saw it on another thread and was impressed with how simple it can be sometimes.

God Bless

Ah, but that statement was used both ways! Mary was also told to ‘behold’ John. Picking apart one verse to try to prove a point may not be the best way to look at Holy Scripture.

I agree with Path_Finder - “all generations shall call me blessed” is a much better proof text for Marian adoration (though not necessarily prayer).

“Behold” here was being spoken to a single person, using second-person singular imperative. Note that Greek has a second-person plural as well (like y’all). A simple, consistent reading was that Jesus was telling John to care for his mother as he would his own - which is further supported by the rest of the verse, which says that John did just that.

John was a boy. … a mere child and he was weeping torrents at the foot of the cross. He was unfit and without means to take care of anyone.

Jesus, Our Beloved Savior, in His Infinite Compassion, gave His Mother Mary as caregiver and shelter for John!

Exactly. Mary is the shelter of John and her gaze is always on her children! In fact John was mere boy at the time of the crucifixion . Jesus gave Mary as his comforter and shelter.

Note the greek: ἔλαβεν ὁ μαθητὴς αὐτὴν εἰς τὰ ἴδια. meaning John took Mary as his own !

Could you send us some info on this. All of my web searches show he was born around 6 AD. Since Jesus was crucified from 30-33, found various sources on different web searches. That would put him in his 20s. Far from being unfit in my eyes. Especially since I would guess an 8 year old back then was probably more fit than most 20 year olds today.

NB: we do not ‘adore’ Mary. Adoration is reserved for the Holy Trinity (or the persons of the Trinity).

We venerate, revere, and even love Our Lady; we even pray to her–for her intercession–we do not adore or worship her.

(I feel particularly compelled to call this out, as there are so many Protestants and other anti-Catholics lurking in these sites, ever vigilant, seeking evidence that we ‘worship’ Mary, and ready to label us as being Pagan, because if we “worship” (or adore) Mary (as a god), then we worship more than one god–and therefore, would be Pagan).

BTW: I’m guessing you knew that, and that it was a semantic error–I’m simply point it out for the above stated reason, and not letting it stand, so as to suggest tacit approval.

fwiw.

Concur.

I have no problem acknowledging that the basis for Marian Devotion in the Bible is latent, and that it is primarily developed through Sacred Tradition (even if guided there, through private revelation(s)).

IMHO, “…you will know them by their fruits”, is all the Biblical support one needs for Marian Devotion, as the fruits of Marian Devotion, are nothing less than amazing.

They stand all on their own.

…and the day Our Lady should cease to lead folks to Christ…then well we should abandon the practice.

But that is clearly impossible–Our Lady, by her very nature, by leads us to Christ.

That is why Christ chose her (and created her) to be His mother.

^^^that said, if one must find Biblical basis for their Marian Devotion, I volunteer these:

1. The Magnificat;

2. The Parallel’s with the Ark of the Covenant, and Mary as the Ark of the New Covenant;

3. Mary as the New Eve–who’s “yes”, undid Eve’s “no”.

among others…

FWIW.

C&P’d from another post–the “fruits” to which I referred above, but failed to elaborate:

1. The Bible is true, and the Word of God, certainly–but it does not, nor does it even pretend to, encompass of the entirety of the Faith. No where in the Bible itself, will you find any such pretense. That premise itself, is a Protestant fabrication–i.e.–a man made Tradition (the very same charge which Protestants so often levy against Catholicism–ironically, enough).

2. While the Sacred Tradition of Marian devotion does not appear patently in the Bible–certainly not in terms of volume or percentage of mentions of Mary–it was developed through prayer–in sincerity, humility, and charity.

I could elaborate at length on this point, but I will summarize it succinctly here, simply by saying that Devotion to Mary has, does, and always will, draw one closer to Christ (hence the age old adage "To Christ (or Jesus), through Mary).

But don’t take my word for it; I’m just an anonymous poster on a message board. Instead, see for yourself, “the proof in the pudding” (i.e. ‘the fruits’)–the multitude of great Saints who were renowned for their sincere Marian devotion. Here is short list of some of the more famous/familiar Saints, known for their Marian Devotion (most familiar names, bolded):

–St. Joseph (her earthly spouse)
–St. John the beloved Apostle (aka the Evangelist), to whom she was entrusted)
–St. Polycarp, (protege of St. John the Apostle)
–St. Ireneaus
–St. Cyril of Jerusalem
–St. Jerome (transcribed the Bible into Latin (the Vulgate) b/t 382-405 AD)
–St. Ambrose
–St. Augustine of Hippo (father of Western Christianity)
–St. Thomas Aquinas (“the Angelic Doctor”, Doctor of the Church)
–St. Dominic (credited with the modern Rosary)
–St. Francis of Assisi
–St. Basil
–St. Teresa of Avila (i.e. “Big Teresa” (vs. “lil’ Therese”), Doctor of the Church)
–St. John of the Cross (Doctor of the Church (author of “The Dark Night”))
–St. Thomas Moore
–St. Therese of Lisseux (“the Little Flower”/(“Little Therese”) Doctor of the Church)
–Saint Louis Marie de Montfort
–St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori (Doctor of the Church)
–[St.] Sister Faustina (Divine Mercy)
–Saint Maximilian Kolbe
–St. Josemaria Escriva (founder of Opus Dei)
–Saint Bernard of Clairvaux (Doctor of the Church)
–St. John Vianney
–St. Francis de Sales
–St. Ildephonsus, Bishop
–St. John Damascene
–St. Germanus of Constantinople, Patriarch of Constantinople
–Pope Saint Gregory VII
–St. Anselm, Archbishop and Doctor of the Church
–St. Bonaventure, Cardinal-Bishop and Doctor of the Church
–St. Cajetan, Founder of the Theatines
–St. Francis Borgia
–St. Robert Bellarmine, Cardinal-Bishop and Doctor of the Church
–St. John Eudes
–Blessed William Joseph Chaminade
–Pope Pius XII, 1876-1958 AD
–Saint Hilary of Poitiers - Bishop, Father, and Doctor of the Church
–Saint Anthony of Padua, Doctor of the Church
–Saint Gregory Nazianzen, Father and Doctor of the Church
–Saint John Damascene, Father and Doctor of the Church
–Blessed Cardinal John Henry Newman
–St. Clare ('Poor Clares)
–St. Rose of Lima
–St. Joan of Arc
–St. Elizabeth Ann Seton
–St. Bernadette of Lourdes (as in visionary/“Our Lady of Lourdes”)
–[St.] Padre Pio
–Pope Saint Pius X
–Pope Paul VI
–Blessed Mother Theresa of Calcutta (the 3rd of the Carmelite Theresan Triumvirate).
–Pope John Paul II, the Great (i.e.–Saint…)
–Pope Benedict XVI
–Pope Francis,

If you go through that list, I would venture that you would be hard pressed to make the case that Marian Devotion had any kind of adversarial effect at all, on their Christianity, their Faith, and their love for, and devotion to, Christ–while the opposite case, would be easy to make–if it even had to be made, as the list itself, appears to be self-evident.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.