Praying to people

Ok, I know a lot of people pray to saints and that is good. However, if a loved one died, and I am confident they are in heaven, is it OK to pray to them? I really need some intercession right now

Also, there are certain saints I really like, for example St John Bosco. He is known for education. However, I have other requests that have nothing to do with education. Is it OK to ask him to interceded even if it is not his ‘specialty’?

Angie

Absolutley. You can continue to pray to St. John Bosco, even if your needs don’t have anything to do with education etc.

Dear Angie,

I ask intercession of saints and blesseds, and also of those who, while they do not have a canonization process going, lived such a holy life that I do believe that if they’re not already in Heaven, then they’re in Purgatory. In either case they can definitely help me with their prayers.

Prayers need not be limited to what the saints were interested in while here on earth, though it probably helps! My particular saints get asked about a whole bunch of different things going on in my life. Sometime I jokingly tell my main one, Blessed John Henry Newman, “I bother you a lot, don’t I?” But I know he loves me – an astounding concept that someone so wonderful as he could love little unimportant me! – but I know he does. He has given me so many helps throughout the years, small and amazingly great.

hope this helps some,
amsjj :slight_smile:

+++
Jesus, God and man,
imprisoned by love in Thy most holy Sacrament,
have mercy upon us.

• Blessed John Henry Newman, December 22, 1851

Tú y yo sabemos por la fe que oculto en las especies sacramentales está Cristo,
ese Cristo con su Cuerpo, con su Sangre, con su Alma, y con su Divinidad,
prisonero de amor.

• San Josemaría Escrivá, 1 junio 1974

… Our Lord Himself frequently said; and it is recorded as an Apostolic tradition from Him by St. Justin the Martyr. He says ‘Jesus often said, “They who are near Me are near a fire”’.

• Abp. W. B. Ullathorne, August 1st 1886

As for loved ones we have lost, we should always pray for their souls because we cannot be sure that they aren’t in purgatory. To be so confident that someone (other than a canonized saint) is in Heaven that we neglect to pray for the repose of their soul is misguided.

I completely agree with this. It’s so important to pray for the souls of the departed, no matter how they seemed to be in life. Prayer is very helpful for the suffering souls.

Amen!!! I was going to mention this in my original post, and was just about to edit it, so thanks for adding this very important point.

amsjj :slight_smile:

+++
Jesus, God and man,
imprisoned by love in Thy most holy Sacrament,
have mercy upon us.

• Blessed John Henry Newman, December 22, 1851

Tú y yo sabemos por la fe que oculto en las especies sacramentales está Cristo,
ese Cristo con su Cuerpo, con su Sangre, con su Alma, y con su Divinidad,
prisonero de amor.

• San Josemaría Escrivá, 1 junio 1974

… Our Lord Himself frequently said; and it is recorded as an Apostolic tradition from Him by St. Justin the Martyr. He says ‘Jesus often said, “They who are near Me are near a fire”’.

• Abp. W. B. Ullathorne, August 1st 1886
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.