Praying with Protestants

I am a former Jehovah’s Witnesses and we refused to say Amen to a prayer said by anyone who did not share the same faith. I wanted to know, can a Catholic say amen to the prayers on non-Catholics? How bout to Jehovah’s Witnesses and LDS who do not believe in the Holy Trinity? I am going to some friends of mine who are Jehovah’s Witnesses and I was not sure how I should go about the prayer that will be said before dinner. Oh, and I was not baptized so I never got disfellowshipped so I’m still on speaking terms with them. Thank you! God bless!

As long as the prayer contains nothing contrary to the Catholic faith, you may say amen to it. If you don’t think you can say amen, simply don’t. I rather doubt anyone will notice–not that you should be ashamed of your Catholic faith, but unless you wish to get into a discussion about it, it’s best to let such little things go for the sake of charity and your friends’ weakness.

I’ve prayed with Catholic priests and laity before, and we’ve said Amen to each other’s prayers.
Just my anecdotal experience.

Jon

“Amen” means “so be it” and signifies that you assent to what was prayed not necessarily to everything the person praying believes. Catholics are free to say “amen” to any prayer they agree with as long as it doesn’t contradict the teachings of the Church. Who is praying is irrelevant.

Here is a document from the USCCB on just this subject: usccbpublishing.org/client/client_pdfs/7-051BI.pdf

It depends on the prayer. If the person is praying for a worthy cause: Amen.

If the person is praying: “Dear God, Arius was right,” Nope.

Praying with protestants isn’t a problem in general (there are exceptions, cf. Della’s post).

On the other hand, a lot of Orthodox are against praying with either Catholic or protestants. I find their thinking to be reasonable, but I don’t agree with it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.