Pre cana for interfaith?

My boyfriend is Nazarene and we’re getting married soon. He attends mass with me, and has agreed to have a Catholic marriage and raise our kids Catholic, yadda yadda and all that. But we’re going to have a Naz wedding so his dad’s a minister. If we have a Prot service, do we still need to go through pre cana?

Yes, you will. Contact your parish right away as you will need some dispensations as well.

Shondrea you are also obliged to marry in a Church*, this wedding service you describe if conducted in such a manner would not (at least as you briefly describe it) be sacramental or valid.

*Or at least in the case of like myself were Orthodox and Catholic marry to marry in the Orthodox Church once you obtain permission to do so. The salient difference been that a)Orthodox priests have valid offices and b)Many Catholic bishops recommend this to stop the Orthodox partner been automatically excommunicated by their own Church for marrying in a Catholic one.

Nooo, i can receive a dispension to marry in a protestant church. everything ive read says so

[quote="Seatuck, post:2, topic:227552"]
Yes, you will. Contact your parish right away as you will need some dispensations as well.

[/quote]

Thank you

[quote="shondrea, post:4, topic:227552"]
Nooo, i can receive a dispension to marry in a protestant church. everything ive read says so

[/quote]

When you contact your pastor about the dispensation, he can tell you what marriage preparation is required.

I think it is far easier to get a dispensation to get married in a non-Catholic church than to get married on a beach, but if you’ve set a date, go see your pastor about preparations.

I’m married to a non-Catholic, one of the most supportive non-Catholic husbands ever, and I’d say you need more pre-marital counselling in the Church than if you were marrying another Catholic. You really owe it to your future husband to spend some quality time in guided discussions about your religious future together. Make sure that he not only gets a chance to ask all of his questions, but that you both have someone telling you what questions to ask.

For instance: has your future FIL been told that a priest is going to be handling the baptisms of his grandchildren? If so, how did that go? Do you anticipate problems? If there are problems, what do you each think will be the best way to handle them?

We’ve been discussing religion since day one, and his family is possibly the most open, loving, and TRULY Christian family i’ve evber met. Papa’s peachy with it, All his family cares about is if someone grows up knowing and loving God. the rest is all icing to them. Much better than MY side, who are all a bunch of hypocritical cultural catholics who insist i MUST marry Catholic, despite the fact that not a one of them keep with ANY rules of the church. HIS family is loving, open, and caring. In fact, the majority of his extended family is Catholic, and there’s not one issue with religion in it. John has even said to me many times Machelle, if I need to be Catholic, i will be.

If there are faithful Catholics on his side of the family and they all get along well with the rest of the family’s span of Christendom, that is a huge thing. The marital problems are more likely when someone marries a Catholic with only a vague idea what that is.

I appreciate the sadness that is caused when a group of Catholics whose practice scandalizes you are set next to a group from another denomination who avail themselves so beautifully of every grace they have, but be on guard, too, lest you fall into indifferentism or contempt. That won’t do your soul any good, and let’s keep the main thing the main thing, as the saying goes. Your family may not practice as you’d like, but there are difficulties in store when you marry outside the faith. Been there…and not to someone who has made it difficult by any lack of support. Take what counsel they have to give for what is worthwhile, ignore the rest, and if you’re in doubt find some good priest to help you to sort it out.

Having said that, it sounds as if your fiance has a good idea what he is getting into, that he fully supports your practice of the faith, and that is the main thing I was getting at. But do get in to talk to your pastor about what your bishop requires of you, so there won’t be any surprises.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.