Pre marital sex and the Bible

How can I best explain from the Bible only why sex before marriage is wrong?

There are many places where Jesus condemns immorality. For one, when he speaks to the woman at the well, he tells her she is living with a man she is not married to.
I don’t have time to find this right now. I’ll get back later.

Paul also talks about sins of the flesh in Acts , Romans. Do a little searching.

Here are two interesting posts I read a while back that might help you:

devinrose.heroicvirtuecreations.com/blog/2014/05/28/the-bible-is-tellingly-silent-on-premarital-sex/

devinrose.heroicvirtuecreations.com/blog/2014/06/05/how-we-can-know-premarital-sex-is-wrong/

The author is a Catholic apologist.

I Corinthians vj, 9-10

9 Or know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with men,

10 nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

That isn’t the only place in the bible where fornication is mentioned. And beyond that we have the moral teachings of the Church which is always consistent with scripture.

Just to add to what AugustineFL quoted on fornication being a sin, fornication is sexual intercourse between unmarried men and women.

Could you tell us more what the situation is?
Are you talking to a Protestant that the bible is the only authority?
Are you talking to a guy or woman? Are they living with their boyfriend/girlfriend currently? Are they having sex and relying on the pill not to get pregnant?

It has always been over the centuries that having sex meant that the woman could get pregnant. It always was, until just recently, that a man had to come before God, family, and friends to get married before having sex so that the woman and children would have a husband and father. Only since the pill has become widely available that sex has been reduced to ‘recreational’. Somehow in our modern minds having sex and having babies are two separate things. There is a very convincing argument that sex before marriage is wrong because of what we can see has happened in society. It’s bad for women because they take on the risk of getting pregnant without a promise before family and friends of a lifetime commitment. It’s certainly bad for babies when you look at the millions of abortions that have been done over a very short amount of years. Sexually transmitted diseases have skyrocketed, not only in number but in the types of diseases a person can get. Women who make the decision to keep their baby often live in poverty. Not good for women or their babies. So there is a very convincing argument that can be made without using the bible as an authority. Just common sense.

Understanding the situation better will allow some thought on the most effective strategy to go forward. Any strategy must have the foundation of prayer. Plunge them into the most Sacred Heart of Jesus every morning, that his mercy open their heart to his grace.

God bless you as you work the fields of God in building the kingdom.

There is a term used when an unmarried man and woman have sexual intercourse. It is used in both the Bible. The term is fornication, נַמֶלֶת in Hebrew, συνουσία in Greek. It is condemned multiple times in both the New and Old Testament. It is one of the behaviors that Paul says will keep one from Heaven.

Um, I cannot find any sign of συνουσια (which is Greek for ‘being with’, in all kinds of senses) in the Bible. The term used in the NT and most often in the LXX is πορνεια (or the verb πορνευω), judging by your last sentence’s reference to Gal 5:19-21, I think that is the one which you want.

1Co 7:1 Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me: It is good for a man not to touch a woman.
1Co 7:2 Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband.
1Co 7:3 Let the husband render unto the wife due benevolence: and likewise also the wife unto the husband.
1Co 7:4 The wife hath not power of her own body, but the husband: and likewise also the husband hath not power of his own body, but the wife.
1Co 7:5 Defraud ye not one the other, except it be with consent for a time, that ye may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again, that Satan tempt you not for your incontinency.
1Co 7:6 But I speak this by permission, and not of commandment.
1Co 7:7 For I would that all men were even as I myself. But every man hath his proper gift of God, one after this manner, and another after that.
1Co 7:8 I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, It is good for them if they abide even as I.
1Co 7:9 But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn.

:slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.