Pre-Tridentine Latin Mass

Does anyone know where I might find the text or a description of the Pre-Tridentine (Pre-1500’s) Mass online? I’m writing a book set in about 850-900 AD and it would be very helpful. I’d rather not have to go back and change all the Mass parts like I’m going to have to with the LOTH.
Thanks so much, everyone! Pax et bonum!
-OneSmallFlower

Try this timeline:

ecclesiadei.nl/docs/timeline.html

ProVobis, you are an angel; thank you so much.
P&B
-OneSmallFlower

Pre Trent the liturgy varied more depending on where you were. for example in England you would be talking about the Sarum Use (or some variant of).Where exactly is the story set?

The Tridentine Missal was the first standardized Missal for a large area, so you’re going to need to look at a lot of particulars.

The Galician Usage, and the Sarum Usage were both popular. The Ambrosian Rite, the Mozarabic Rite, and the Bragan Rite are still used today.

Here is an hour long video of a recreation of the Mass from about 1450 + or - a decade or so.

The intro in about 4 minutes long and done in a foreign language. The Mass itself is mostly in Latin. Its interesting to watch.

youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=fIODLdz6vEc

God Bless

Wow - - this is really cool. I tried google translate, and I’m pretty sure the intro is Croatian.

If you follow these links it gives a text of the Sarum rite, used in part of England:

justus.anglican.org/resources/bcp/Sarum/index.htm

If you scroll to the bottom of the page it gives links for: the Order of Mass up to the Canon (in Latin only, including rubrics); the Order from the Canon onwards (all Latin, including rubrics); the full Order of Mass in English. (NB. You may be interested to note that at the start of the Canon, there is prayer for the Pope, the Bishop…and the King!).

Not Swedish?

Rowlands,

My first thought was a Scandinavian language. Somewhere in the recesses of my feeble little mind, I seem to remember that the film was done in Norwegian. But thats been a couple of years ago so I wouldn’t count on that. :blush:

Wow! You guys are great; I didn’t realize that there would be so many variations! Well, it’s an English priest (although he’s not in England at the time) ca 800-900. I guess that would mean it’s the Sarum rite? But just to clarify, that’s still a Catholic rite, right, not Anglican?

The Sarum rite is definitely Catholic. However you’re date is too early for the Sarum Rite which is 11th century. With your date it would probably be one of the Celtic rites.

The Sarum rite did transfer into anglicanism with the Reform in the early 16th century but eventually got modified into the Book of Common Prayer. Well, that’s a very high-level view anyway

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarum_Rite

Okay - - I’m an idiot!
You are all correct - -Anders Piltz is a Swedish latinist and medievalist.
I clicked on one of the other links by the person who posted it - - which was in Croatian.
Mea culpa, etc.:slight_smile:

corsair,

That was an amazing find! Thank you very much for posting it.

You both could be right. The words on the screen at various parts have a Norwegian spelling, but when the priest is giving a sermon and reciting the creed he speaks like a Swede. Norwegian, Swedish, and Danish are somewhat mutually intelligible languages though.

However, in this case the languages are Swedish, old Swedish (Fornsvenska) and, of course, Latin.

Professor Anders Piltz is a Roman Catholic priest. Endre church is located in Gotland, Sweden.

The priest may say either the Rite of the Place or the Rite from where he originated. How much of the Mass do you need to show for your plot? A lot of things are the same across Europe, to be honest non-liturgists would likely get bored if you were to give them a long blow by blow account of Mass. The best option might just be to mention roughly the part of the Mass and perhaps once you have written the scene check to see if there is some reason he would not have done what he did.

Good idea, youngmonk. I think that’s the best way to go about this. : ) God bless!

Do the Italo-Albanian and Ambrosian Rites come later?

closed #19

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.