Predestination in Ask an Apologist

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=88730

Ummm. I am surprised. Michelle’s answers gives the impression that the Molinist position is the official Catholic position. The Augustinian, Thomist and Scotist positions are also equally approved intepretations of the De Fide teaching of Predestination. None of the other postions base Predestination upon God’s foreknowledge but on His active pre-determination from all eternity of the elect (those who will finally be saved).

I was just a little surprised by the selectiveness of the answer is all.

Mel

[quote=Melchior]forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=88730

Ummm. I am surprised. Michelle’s answers gives the impression that the Molinist position is the official Catholic position. The Augustinian, Thomist and Scotist positions are also equally approved intepretations of the De Fide teaching of Predestination. None of the other postions base Predestination upon God’s foreknowledge but on His active pre-determination from all eternity of the elect (those who will finally be saved).

I was just a little surprised by the selectiveness of the answer is all.

Mel
[/quote]

I wouldn’t fault her on this. She was trying to provide a succinct answer. Maybe the person who asked the question has a serious problem with the traditional Protestant view of predestination, i.e. five-point Calvinism, and wondered if such a view was necessary for admission to the Catholic Church. Of course, if that person was a staunch Calvinist, he might have benefited from a view of Catholic Thomism. In any case, the answer she provided certainly made sure to address the second part of his question. It’s important to understand that the Catholic Church does not believe that God predestines anyone to Hell.

Does anyone know if the resources she suggested present a more thorough view on the Catholic Church’s flexibility on other predestination-related points? Incidentally, there’s a great resource on the differences between Calvinism and Thomism in the This Rock archives on this site. It certainly helped this former Calvinist figure out where the Church stands (and doesn’t stand) in regard to predestination.
catholic.com/thisrock/1993/9309fea1.asp

closed #3

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.