Predestination

Is it possible for a Catholic to believe in double predestination?

No.

I assume you mean by “double predestination” that God actively choses who will go to hell without any consideration to merits or demerits.

Here is the council of Trent: If anyone says that the grace of justification is shared by those only who are predestined to life, but that all others who are called are called indeed but receive not grace, as if they are by divine power predestined to evil, let him be anathema. (canon 17 sixth session)

However, it might be said that who goes to hell is sort of passively allowed by God, given that He forsees demerits. Here is Ludwig Ott fundamentals of Catholic Dogma: God, by an Eternal Resolve of His Will, predestines certain men, on account of their foreseen sins, to eternal rejection. (De fide.) pg245

[quote=pharper]Is it possible for a Catholic to believe in double predestination?
[/quote]

No.

Yes, it is possible…although those people cease to be Catholic when they do.

I believe St Augustine held to double predestination.

[quote=justcatholic]I believe St Augustine held to double predestination.
[/quote]

Do you have a quote or something to that effect? I haven’t really heard that charge (although perhaps Martin Luther quotes him in, oh rats!, um, maybe the Bondage of the Will? I mention this text because I vaguly recall Luther disliking some of Augustine’s stuff there).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.