Prefiguration of the Life of Christ in the OT/ Typology

Hi.
in a Church I visited, the stained glasses featured Old Testament images/ typology and its fulfilment in the life of Christ.
My problem is I cant identify the incident in the OT that is featured in the life of Christ.

The two incidents in the life of Christ are his resurrection and ascension. What incidents in the OT prefigures this?

Two passages come to mind. Both are centered on Elijah and Elisha the prophets.

2 Kings 2:9-12
9 When they had crossed over, Elijah said to Elisha, “Request whatever I might do for you, before I am taken from you.” Elisha answered, “May I receive a double portion of your spirit.”[a] 10 He replied, “You have asked something that is not easy. Still, if you see me taken up from you, your wish will be granted; otherwise not.” 11 As they walked on still conversing, a fiery chariot and fiery horses came between the two of them, and Elijah went up to heaven in a whirlwind, 12 and Elisha saw it happen. He cried out, “My father! my father!** Israel’s chariot and steeds!” Then he saw him no longer.

2 Kings 13:20-21
20 And so Elisha died and was buried. At that time of year, bands of Moabites used to raid the land. 21 Once some people were burying a man, when suddenly they saw such a raiding band. So they cast the man into the grave of Elisha, and everyone went off. But when the man came in contact with the bones of Elisha, he came back to life and got to his feet.**

Resurrection: Joseph made King after being sold into slavery and lost to his father as though dead.

Genesis 45:14-15
14 And falling upon the neck of his brother Benjamin, he embraced him and wept: and Benjamin in like manner wept also on his neck.15 And Joseph kissed all his brethren, and wept upon every one of them: after which they were emboldened to speak to him.

Ascension:

Psalm 67:19
19 Thou hast ascended on high, thou hast led captivity captive; thou hast received gifts in men. Yea for those also that do not believe, the dwelling of the Lord God.

There have been two responses to your question, but I’m stumped by your question. For me, I’d like to know what you saw in those stained glass windows?

Jonah was, according to the story, in the belly of the fish for three days but then was released, which vaguely resembles a story of both a physical and a spiritual resurrection. Physically, Jonah came out of the great fish; spiritually, he had a change of mind about going to Ninevah to preach and prophecy as God directed him.

As far as the ascension, wasn’t it Enoch that was taken up into heaven directly? That’s clearly an ascension of sorts.

Hi ICE, I am in Subic at the moment. Was the church Malate?

perhaps the following might be the corresponding OT references (just a guess).

Resurrection : Psalm 22

My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?

my mouth is dried up like a potsherd, and my tongue sticks to my jaws; **you lay me in the dust of death.

But you, O Lord, do not be far away! O my help, come quickly to my aid!

I will tell of your name to my brothers and sisters; in the midst of the congregation I will praise you:

All the ends of the earth shall remember and turn to the Lord; and all the families of the nations shall worship before him.
For dominion belongs to the Lord, and he rules over the nations.
To him, indeed, shall all who sleep in the earth bow down; before him shall bow all who go down to the dust, and I shall live for him.
Posterity will serve him; future generations will be told about the Lord,
and proclaim his deliverance to a people yet unborn, saying that he has done it.

Ascension : **Daniel 7:13-14 **

And behold, with the clouds of heaven One like a Son of Man was coming, And He came up to the Ancient of Days And was presented before Him.
"And to Him was given dominion, Glory and a kingdom, That all the peoples, nations and men of every language Might serve Him. His dominion is an everlasting dominion Which will not pass away; And His kingdom is one Which will not be destroyed.…

Hi
actually it is in St. Jude Manila
i took pictures but cant post it here

If you could at least describe the imagery we might be able to help? The entire Old Testament is rife with images that point to Christ and His resurrection and ascension.

Do your pictures look like this ?
(other than the fact you might be in your pictures)

commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:National_Shrine_of_St._Jude_Manila_08.jpg

commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:NationalShrineofSaintJudeThaddeusManilajf2403_01.JPG

John

Yep. That’s the picture! There seems to be a prefiguration of Christ’s resurrection and ascencion, and I cant identify it. I dont know how to post pictures in this thread :joy::joy::joy:,

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.