I have a bit of a situation about which I would welcome advice (and prayers!).
I am five weeks pregnant with my second child. (Praise God!) Hubby and I are trusting the Lord with the timing and size our family, so we're overjoyed at this next little blessing. But things are a little complicated.
Hubby and I are currently living with his parents. We moved in around the time I got pregnant with Bean because I'd lost my teaching position and Hubby was unable to work for a time due to severe depression and anxiety. Hubby started a job while I was pregnant, and I was working part-time from home as a freelance writer. We've enjoyed living with his parents (for the most part) because of how close Bean is with his grandparents. Of course we've had some difficulties, but overall it's been a blessing.
I now have an excellent full-time writing job from home, and Hubby is excelling at his job and will likely be able to continue up the ladder. Prior to finding out about my pregnancy, we decided we would be moving into our own apartment in October of this year rather than December, which was our original plan. Not only that, but the added blessing of another baby won't change too much because I get paid per project. I can work ahead prior to taking maternity leave, and adjust my hours for the new baby when I go back to work.
Everything looks great, and I'm so excited about what's to come.
Hubby wants very much to share the joy of my pregnancy with his family. Not only because he's excited, but because should something happen, he knows their support would be very helpful. But I'm very nervous about telling them because I fear that they'll be more worried about our financial situation rather than being excited about the baby and being able to move out. I know their worries come because they love us, but sometimes the way they word things makes Hubby feel as if he can't or won't be able to succeed at something. It's heartbreaking for me.
They also told Hubby they didn't want us getting pregnant again while we were living here, and to make sure we were using protection. (We do not use contraception, but that's a whole separate discussion, I think.)
Also, Hubby doesn't want to keep it from them because he's afraid they'll think we were trying to hide it. He doesn't want them to be hurt or upset that we didn't tell them right away. He's always been very open with his parents, after all. However, I did tell him that many couples don't share the news--even with family--until a little later.
There is a bit part of me that wants to tell them, too. Even if they're concerned, they know how well my job is going, and that we're much, much better off financially than we were. (And well on our way to being out of debt except for my student loans! Hooray!) And they've always said that they will always support and love us, and they just want what's best for us. So maybe knowing how well things are going, they would be able to be excited for us more than worried.
If we tell them right away, we're going to try and tell them in a fun way to emphasize the excitement and joy of the situation rather than presenting it in a way that makes it seem we're worried. Because we're not. We know the Lord will take care of us.
The final piece of the puzzle, of course, is actually hiding it if we decide not to tell them until we move. I had terrible morning sickness with Bean that started around week 5 or 6, and that would be virtually impossible to hide from them since they both work from home, as well.
So what do you think? Should we tell now? Wait until we move out?