Pregnant a month before wedding date

My fiance and I will be having a Catholic wedding in about a month, and we just found out that we are pregnant…I’ve always wanted children and a family and I’m ecstatic and also nervous…any advice? I’m planning on confessing about the fornication prior to the wedding of course.

3 Likes

Get to Confession ASAP and talk to Father about this

9 Likes

My wife was pregnant at my wedding too. The priest was very understanding.

5 Likes

Congrats on the wedding and the kid.

As an aside, I’ve always hated the “we are pregnant” thing. One of you is pregnant. The other one is not. . . .

17 Likes

Congratulations on your marriage and child! May your family be healthy, happy, and holy!

11 Likes

Priest for confession, tailor to adjust the dress… :hugs:

9 Likes

Go confess immediately and sin no more until your union is sanctified, is what I would tell someone I knew asking me that. Unfortunately that sounds a bit high and mighty in a forum thread but I can only advise the same thing brother. :slight_smile:

Your wedding is a whole month away and the beginning of advent is upon us so what better time to go and find reconciliation. You can at least gain some form of indulgence in that time too so your wedding day you can be Guilt free and do things the right way in accordance with the Catholic faith.

Then, start asking questions on CAF :wink:

Congratulations on becoming a parent and finding a woman worthy to be Wedded to. I wish you, your soon to be wife and child every happiness.

God bless

1 Like

Who among us has not sinned? It sounds as though you are going to be (and are already, for that matter) a beautiful, holy family.

One “upside” of living in today’s world is that no one gives something like this a second thought anymore. Happens every day of the world.

I have no problem with the expression. One thing we can do to raise consciousness and educate the rest of the world, is to refer to things as they really are — not “we are going to have a baby”, but “we have a baby”, not “when the baby comes into the world”, but “the baby is already in the world”.

When we found out that my wife was pregnant (first time, miscarried), I gathered my work colleagues together and told them not, “I’m going to be a father”, but “I am a father”. I’m sure this distinction zoomed right over their heads (none of them were Catholic), but that does not matter. We need to affirm the personhood of the child from day one. Nothing less will do.

It doesn’t sound “high and mighty” at all. It is what our Faith requires.

3 Likes

Advice? Sounds like you have a grasp on sin and confession and are ready for Marriage. Go forth and serve the Lord, and have a happy wedding.

6 Likes

Go to confession and carry on as planned. If you just found out, your dress will probably be fine. No need to tell anyone just now. Enjoy the wedding and then you can tell people after. One thing at a time. Best wishes to you!

5 Likes

Well, one of you is going through the physical part of bearing a child, but both have brought the child into being, and hopefully both will be actively involved both during pregnancy and after the child is born.

2 Likes

The first few months of pregnancy can be very rough. Your fiancee will need extra support and patience from you now that she is pregnant.

Please be understanding that she is may be very tired, emotional, and maybe even ‘sick’ for a few months.

Good for you to admit you need to confess and congratulations on your wedding and child.

2 Likes

Congrats! Enjoy your day and dont worry about judgement of others!

3 Likes

Maybe the husband could voluntarily do so as well, since “they” are pregnant. That might make for a wedding they both remember and enjoy.

1 Like

I don’t know what you think he wouldn’t remember it. That is an uncharitable assumption to assert.

Not uncharitable at all. I catered a fair amount of weddings. I’ve seen it all. Here, the parish priest asks the couples if they are sober before the wedding. Most answer yes. After the wedding is another story. More recently, I’ve seen pot infused edible wedding cake and cookies! It’s a new world my friend. And it isn’t as scary as it seems!

1 Like

Yikes! And pot becomes legal in my state (Illinois) on January 1. I’m going to have to be extra vigilant at any weddings I attend. Or would that be “weedings”?

2 Likes

LOL this made me laugh out loud :joy:

1 Like

We could also leave her enjoyment of alchohol up to her doctor’s instruction.

2 Likes

Thanks, everybody, for being awesome here :slight_smile:

2 Likes
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.