Pregnant, brain dead Victoria B.C. woman kept alive until baby can be born

Robyn Benson was 22 weeks pregnant when she tragically suffered a brain hemorrhage. Her husband, Dylan, had gone out to get her some Tylenol after she started complaining of a crushing headache, and when he returned Robyn was unconscious on their bathroom floor, but still breathing.

globalnews.ca/news/1125347/pregnant-and-brain-dead-victoria-b-c-woman-kept-alive-until-baby-can-be-born

Glad to hear life prioritized the best they can in this difficult situation.

Praying to Our Lady of Quadalupe for her & her unborn child.

If she is brain dead, as the article indicates, then she is not being kept alive. They are using her corpse as an incubator.

In this theory of definitions, how does dead tissue transmit life to a baby?

Do you have a problem with them keeping the unborn baby alive until the baby is born?

There’s nothing theoretical about it. This woman’s body is dead. Using machines to simulate what would be normal activity for living tissues doesn’t change that and only serves to slow the process of decomposition. Life itself isn’t transmitted by tissues.

Absolutely. I think it is a grotesque practice.

Do you think organ donation is grotesque? I think abortion is grotesque as it kills a person.

Not at all. The organs are removed and the body is prepared for burial or incineration. You’re comparing apples and oranges.

Ok, but this isn’t about abortion.

Anyway, do you think that life support equipment could animate any dead female of child bearing “age” to the point that a baby could be gestated healthily within it? Or are some bodies more dead than others in your view?

Baby Iver has been born and Dylan Benson’s wife and Iver’s mother has died:

misterbenson.com/posts/immensely-sad-but-incredibly-proud

:thumbsup:

It’s sad to see that even the Canadians are more humane than we are.

How are they more humane? This case isn’t even remotely similar to the recent one is Texas. 1. 22 weeks is about 2 weeks away from the earliest a baby can be reasonably expected to survive outside the womb
2. 22 weeks is exponentially greater maturity than 12 weeks
3. The mother was BREATHING when found, so the risk of damage to the baby from oxygen deprivation is likely lower
4. The family agreed to this extraordinary means of support

There are probably more differences which we don’t have knowledge of.

Apples and oranges.

Doing some research, it appears that Marlize Munoz was about 22 weeks pregnant when she and her baby died. There are babies that are born at 21, 22 and 23 weeks that have died, but there are also examples of babies born at each of those stages that survived being born that early. It says in the article that the foetus was ‘distinctly abnormal’ but the baby had a ‘normal heartbeat.’

It was claimed Marlize Munoz’s baby had hydrocephalus, but that condition is not necessarily terminal. According to the following article, there is treatment and people with the condition can lead normal lives:

kidshealth.org/parent/medical/brain/hydrocephalus.html

And a possible heart problem, although that wasn’t confirmed, not necessarily terminal:

nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/mp/20999355/foetus-in-mua-oz-case-is-distinctly-abnormal-reports

Yes, but I was not referring to the baby’s age at death, rather, the baby’s age when her mother had the fatal event. No Ms Munoz did not die at the same time as her baby. She was brain dead and the baby was being incubated in her decomposing corpse for an extended period of time. Big difference.

Marlize Munoz was about 22 weeks pregnant when she and her baby died, 14 weeks pregnant when she became unconscious. There are babies that are born at 21, 22 and 23 weeks that have died, but there are also examples of babies born at each of those stages that survived being born that early. It says in the article that the foetus was ‘distinctly abnormal’ but the baby had a ‘normal heartbeat.’

It was claimed Marlize Munoz’s baby had hydrocephalus, but that condition is not necessarily terminal. According to the following article, there is treatment and people with the condition can lead normal lives:

kidshealth.org/parent/medical/brain/hydrocephalus.html

And a possible heart problem, although that wasn’t confirmed, not necessarily terminal:

nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/mp/20999355/foetus-in-mua-oz-case-is-distinctly-abnormal-reports

Are you saying the baby didn’t continue developing in Ms Munoz when she being kept on life support from 14 weeks to 22 weeks?

Troy Newman has said:

We utterly reject the false notion that Marlise’s body is a rotting corpse, which is impossible since a decaying body cannot support the life of a baby for weeks, as Marlise has.

operationrescue.org/archives/operation-rescue-condemns-judges-order-to-terminate-life-support-for-tx-mom-and-baby

Is Mr Newman speaking with scientific authority? Was he is a position of smell or feel the decomposition like some of her family reported experiencing? If the answer to both question is no, then I’m truly puzzled.

Do you know what a baby needs to develop (besides IV nutrients, oxygen and working blood vessels)? I have some idea: it includes hormones - tons of them - most from mother’s brain and other organs, until baby takes over. I remain unaware of evidence that normal development in the womb can be sustained with a very young fetus and a brain dead mother.

If you have some (scientific) evidence that normal development is possible from such an early stage of pregnancy, in such conditions, I would be happy to see it. Otherwise, all we have is an experiment. One of the basic rules of ethical research, is that it must be voluntary (not to mention doing no harm and having reasonable expectations of the outcome etc.)

If Marlize Munoz was decomposing, and some believe she was, then how could that baby have continued to stay alive? I have not read that the baby died after the claims that she was decomposing.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.