Premature baby 'comes back to life'

Amazing!

couple from Kafr Yasif in the Galilee received the shock of their lives Monday when the wife’s miscarried 610-gram fetus, which had been declared dead five hours earlier, was found to be breathing.
http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?blobcol=urlimage&blobheader=image%2Fjpeg&blobheadername1=Cache-Control&blobheadervalue1=max-age%3D420&blobkey=id&blobtable=JPImage&blobwhere=1218710397262&cachecontrol=5%3A0%3A0+%2F%2F*&ssbinary=trueThe five-month-old baby that ‘miraculously’ began breathing after doctors assumed she was dead.
** Photo: Channel 2**

The baby girl, born during the 23rd week of gestation, still has an uncertain future. Hospital spokesman Ziv Farber said that any premature infant of that weight and age had only a 10 percent chance for survival. But five years ago, he added, "we had a [baby]("javascript:void(0)") weighing only 580 grams, and she survived." 

jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1218710394816&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull

That’s incredible! God must have great plans for this baby

Well my son was born at 27 weeks, in Boston. He survived(27 years old now), but has cerebral palsy. However, when he was still in the hospital as an infant, I remember them saving 24 week babies, but they were all girls. I leaned through the experience, that baby girl’s lungs develop on average, about two weeks ahead of a boy. At the time, no baby boys survived, younger than my son, 27 weeks.

Jim

Please pray for this little girl and her family, since she did not survive long.

foxnews.com/story/0,2933,405961,00.html

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of death.
Amen.

LifeNews(not to be confused with LifesiteNews) carried this story. It was not a miscarriage. The doctors told the parents that tests showed the baby showed no signs of life so they induced premature labor. It is a tragedy all around.

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of death.
Amen.

Israeli Unborn Baby Victimized by Abortion, Put in Freezer, Comes Back to Life

Following the abortion, the father of the child asked to see the baby girl. After officials pulled her body from a cooler at the Western Galilee Hospital where the abortion was done, they discovered she was still alive.

The incident could prompt both an internal hospital and external governmental investigation into the failed abortion.

According to the newspaper, the mother of the baby was 26 weeks into the pregnancy at the time of the late-term abortion. A medical test showed she was supposedly experiencing internal bleeding and doctors indicated the baby showed no signs of life.

lifenews.com:80/int881.html

Before I make any statements about LifeNews reporting of this story I have some questions that need answering

The first questions are for an OBGyn doctor or nurse. The questions are:

• What is standard practice when a baby is determine to have died in utero?

• What are the risk to the mother of leaving a dead baby in utero until labor naturally begins?

I also have a question for a priest or theologian:

If it is determined that a baby died in utero, is it abortion to deliver the deceased baby before the mother goes into natural labor?

An abortion is the actual killing of the child, so if the baby were already deceased, there could be no abortion, just a forced labor for the health of the mother.

Mistakes unfortunately happen… medical science is not always exact. There’s always a chance (even if it’s very tiny) that something can go wrong, like this. I don’t think it’s a good idea to assume that the doctor did this negligently, without further facts.

Jenny Z;

An abortion is the actual killing of the child, so if the baby were already deceased, there could be no abortion, just a forced labor for the health of the mother.

Actually, if the labor caused the death of the child, even if it was done to save the mother’s life, the Church considers it an abortion. I have consulted with Priest for Life on this very issue, and they said, any medical procedure which takes the life of the child, is immoral, even if its to save the life of the mother.

Jim

Unfortunately, did not thsi baby die in the end?

If all indications where that the baby was dead before induced labor began, is it considered an abortion? From both articles, it appears the doctors believed that the baby was already dead before inducing labor.

When my ex-SIL was pregnant with her last baby, two weeks before it was due to be born, it died in utero. The doctors told her that she to wait until she went into labour naturally since the body does not have to be artificially prodded into expelling a dead baby. If the baby is dead, do they really need to induce premature labour? Will she not naturally miscarry anyway?

That’s my point… if all signs pointed to the baby being already deceased, and they induced labor for the health of the mother, there is no abortion. There would be an accidental death if they baby weren’t deceased, but the sin of abortion itself is the deliberate taking of the child’s life…

I guess I don’t see the point in calling it an abortion if it was an accident, there was no intention of harming or killing an unborn baby.

I don’t see why this is being called an abortion. For one thing, the baby is 26 weeks old and capable of life outside the womb (with lots of support of course). Unless the intent of is to kill the child, there is nothing wrong with inducing labor at that stage as far as I can tell because this is not an automatic death sentence for the baby.

In any case, the mother was experiencing bleeding (which would put both lives at risk), so there doesn’t seem to have been any option but to induce labor.

People sometimes see the issue as baby’s life versus mother’s, but to my knowledge there are more conditions that put both lives at risk than conditions that only threaten the mother’s. That argument (mother vs baby) never really has made sense to me anyway, because how’s a baby supposed to continue living inside a dead mother? There have been rare cases where life support was used until the baby came to term but that’s usually in situations where the mother’s death was accidental, not pregnancy-related. If a pregnant woman is bleeding from her womb, it stands to reason that unless some intervention is carried out, that pregnancy is going to end badly for both of them.

We really need to be careful about labeling procedures abortions because overzealous condemnation of necessary medical procedures can cause people to see the pro-life crowd as fanatics.

Lots of things in medicine (as well as life in general) are a balance between possible negative and possible positive endpoints and sometimes one is forced to choose… Hindsight is the best sight but unfortunately, in health care, decisions have to be taken without it.

The following day LifeNews published a new article on this case.

Nahariya, Israel (LifeNews.com) – A newborn baby who reportedly “came back to life” hours after her birth and placement in a medical cooler has died. Hospital officials are now saying the infant was never dead but only had a difficult to detect heartbeat and pulse because she was born prematurely. The baby has made international headlines with early reports indicating she survived an abortion and later reports saying birth was induced prematurely because tests reportedly indicated she was dead in her mother’s womb.
Now, the latest news coming from Israel is that the baby’s mother had a miscarriage that led to the infant’s premature birth.
lifenews.com/int884.html

LifeNews should either remove the first article or place an “read update” link on the first article.

The initial mistake should have never been made if the media understood what it was talking about. The only way being born at 26 weeks can be referred to as anything other than a premature birth (natural or induced), is if the intent was to kill the baby. Unless that intent is there, it cannot be called an abortion and there is no way it can be properly termed a miscarriage. That is so, because with proper care, babies are capable of life outside the womb for two or three weeks before that age.

BTW, all articles, except the LifeNews article, I have read while trying to figure out if it was an abortion or not, which we many, placed the baby at 23 weeks gestation. I think LifeNews got the mother’s age, 26 yrs old, flip flopped with the gestation.

I feel for these parents. This baby was quite obviously wanted and they were doing what they thought they had to do given the circumstances. I agree that labelling it abortion was inflammatory and not indicative of the truth, that there was no intent to abort a live infant. LifeNews does not usually indulge in that kind of sensationalism so I got sucked in.(and I’m now going to be viewing their future articles with suspicion. they have done themselves no favours) I apologise for posting the article.

Anyway, this couple really need our prayers because I’m sure this is tearing them up, not only what happened to them, but that the whole world is privy to their tragedy, as well.

Father, please comfort this couple and give them peace.

Hail Mary, Full of Grace
The Lord is with thee
Blessed art thou amoung women and
Blest is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death.
Amen
:signofcross:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.